It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Obama to Skip Wreath Laying Ceremony at Arlington on Monday

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by futuretense

Beautiful post.
Thank you.

I've never been to Arlington. I'll be visiting the cemetary with flags and flowers, and then taking the grandkids to the parade.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
What I believe the point is that this is more than just the President who refuses to honor those who have served and died in service of their country. Many people often do not reflect on many of the holidays that we celebrate in this country, no matter what they are. I am also a bit disturbed that the President, would not take time out of his day to honor those who gave their lives when called to by the very country they lived in and supported. The Ceremony itself is to take time to remember those who before us, gave up everything, their honor, valor, personal wealth, comfort and their very lives for so many back then and even today. There are many who are still around who remember what is was like during those hard times, seeing their best friends, brothers, fathers, uncles and sons die for a cause. It may seem like it is a waste of time, but for those who are in the service of the country, this is a symbol that their needs and to honor them as they may be asked to die for a cause.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by I_am_Spartacus
He isn't the POTUS, he is just a POS!!! Such an embarrassing disgrace, HOPE all you who voted for this scum are happy with the CHANGE you are getting.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]

Still have the two-party mentality...don't ya??? (YOU BETCHA!!!) There would have been absolutely NO DIFFERENCE if McCain had gotten in verses Obama. All the same rules would have applied, and you would be bitching about McCain RIGHT NOW, if he were "in power." When will people finally see past the facade??? The CORPORATIONS are in control...NOT THE PRESIDENT.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal about such trivial things involving Obama. I wouldn't go to a place with Arlington in the name after comparing myself to JFK. =)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

You are welcome.........

Arlington's impact and the various memorials there will capture the meanign of "greater love has no man than to lay down their life for another"

Make sure you see the Vietnam wall and the WW2 memorial as well........

Of everything there......the tomb of the unknown soldier is as close to a holy arua that I've ever felt from a secural monument.....

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm curious as to how many expressing outrage at his failure to honor the military are the same who rail against all those "lazy welfare bums" who happen also to be veterans.

In my experience the most "patriotic" people are also the first to find excuses not to serve personally, wouldn't give a vet a job on a dare, and won't fund proper healthcare for vets.

Save your phony outrage for stuff that matters.

As a vet myself, I spend Memorial Day quietly remembering my fallen comrades. The noisy non-veteran outraged types tend to spend the day partying without a single genuine thought of honoring veterans or the dead.

You want to hate and dis the man, go right ahead. But don't do it on the back of my service or my friends' deaths.

Excuse me, gotta run..the stench of hypocrisy offends me.

Go back to your barbecue.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

And this is precisely what worries me SO MUCH about the people on ATS lately.

This, from the most rabid anti-Bush personality on these forums. This from a guy who spent several years posting about every single indiscretion Bush was accused of.

Oh yes BH, this is a recent thing. Unbelievable.....

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
I'm curious as to how many expressing outrage at his failure to honor the military are the same who rail against all those "lazy welfare bums" who happen also to be veterans.

In my experience the most "patriotic" people are also the first to find excuses not to serve personally, wouldn't give a vet a job on a dare, and won't fund proper healthcare for vets.

Save your phony outrage for stuff that matters.

As a vet myself, I spend Memorial Day quietly remembering my fallen comrades. The noisy non-veteran outraged types tend to spend the day partying without a single genuine thought of honoring veterans or the dead.

You want to hate and dis the man, go right ahead. But don't do it on the back of my service or my friends' deaths.

Excuse me, gotta run..the stench of hypocrisy offends me.

Go back to your barbecue.
Is a veteran allowed to dis him 'on the backs' of his own fallen comrades?

Just the fact that I am a vet made me think that you might not be speaking for all of us.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

If I were the president I'd skip every single ceremony there is except for the swearing in because I believe its required by the US constitution. I'm sorry there are too many problem for the president to be wasting time on ceremonies. We can tell where a president's heart is and whether they support the troops based on his ACTIONS, not on his ceremonies. Or of course you can look at the campaign donations.

The top three donors to Barack Obama during the campaign likely looked something like this (going by memory which is going to be somewhat wrong):
1. Banks
2. Lawyers
3. Insurance Companies

The top three donors to Ron Paul looked exactly like this because (you can't forget after seeing it so I know I'm remembering right):
1. Army
2. Navy
3. Air Force

So, Ron Paul wouldn't have to waste his time on ceremonies and it would still be obvious he is the #1 supporter of the troops. Obama can go to all the military ceremonies in existence and we all know he doesn't care too much because nobody who cared would be wasting their lives on are essentially fantasy game resource wars of the elite.

The fact that Obama has not withdrawn from Iraq is strong evidence that he is owned and operated by other parties and just follows orders. Therefore what ceremonies he goes to mean nothing. There is a good reason US presidents age 16 years during their 8 in office. Conducting criminal actions in everyone's face while being heavily in the public eye is bound to be exceptionally stressful.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
Cant the guy get a holiday. After all he is working very hard.

America is facing possibly its worst environmental disaster in history and he just wants to clear his head and chill out a bit.

And this is another great point. He's been dealing with a LOT - I wouldn't want his job -

Are you seriously suggesting Bush didn't have a lot to deal with? He was handed a war that Clinton started and one disaster after another. I dont recall you calling for calm, because Bush has a lot to deal with.

You're just like the MSM and expect everyone to have amnesia when you spew your revisionist history.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

The White House says Obama and his family will travel to their hometown on Thursday and stay through the weekend.

WTF?
Does this mean he is going to Kenya??

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
By next Christmas, the infamous "Mt. Rushmore" ornamint will be tossed in the garbage...the Mao ornamint will be on his tree, but in Illinois federal prison cell with his bros.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Exactly, and all the more reason they were both grilled for their inaction. I understand you are more about scoring points in a "Republicans vs. Democrats" battle of which party adherents did what wrong when, but I was more interested in noting that an approaching hurricane and an exploding oil well are really not comparable disasters with regard to pre-event mitigation.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cagliostro

Originally posted by westcoast

Add this to the many times he has been the lone person on stage NOT saluting the flag, and I am just amazed that this is the man representing our country. How did it ever happen?

How it happened is, he accrued more electoral votes than McCain, and had more than 7 million in the popular vote vs. McCain. See, the way it works is, whoever gets the most votes, wins. Now get over it.

Really? You think so? Because living in Washington State, I see long before I even get to GO to the polls, who is going to win. Yup, those good old electoral votes. Not so much representing 'we the people', but 'we the big corporations'.

IMO, it is not about representing the people anymore, but who can line your pockets with the thickest green. Obama has made this so painfully obvious to THE WORLD that he is an embaressment to those of us that are still proud to call ourselves american.

I will say it again: Any president who does not make it a priority to pay respect to the very people who gave their lives for this country should be ashamed of themselves.

For me, it is very simple.

Editing to add: I too find his lack of an appropriate response in the gulf to be a MUCH bigger issue. I just think addressing this action is important in the fact that it exposes his complete lack of character and patriotism.

How can the american president go on vacation while the biggest enviromental disaster is occuring....expanding....right under his nose? How can he showboat around to fundraisers and parties while this is happening? Then to top it off with disregarding the Arlington ceremony, it's just too much. His arrogance is......well, unbelievable.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by westcoast]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta
CSA traitors

I beg your pardon. If you'll go back and study history as it was and not what you hear, you'll know that it was the Union who were traitors. The Confederacy were the honorable ones in the Civil War.

The South didn't lose, contrary to belief and we didn't get our butts kicked at Gettysburg like a bunch of Yankees would want everyone to believe.

General Lee surrendered so that no more blood would be shed from either side of the conflict. The United States emerged more powerful after the Civil War than it would've been if there hadn't been one.

The South was outnumbered at Gettysburg yet there were more deaths and casualties on the Yankee side. Hmmm. How interesting.

I have a hatred for "the perfidious, malignant and vile Yankee race" and this also applies to Obama.

Besides, I don't care how you do it up north. To me, Obama is just doing what is typical of a vile Yankee.

[edit on 26/5/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Of all the weekends to take a trip back home, he picks THAT weekend.

I guess it just goes to show you that he doesn't give a rats behind about respecting those who made his presidency possible.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by mothershipzeta
CSA traitors

I beg your pardon. If you'll go back and study history as it was and not what you hear, you'll know that it was the Union who were traitors. The Confederacy were the honorable ones in the Civil War.

The South didn't lose, contrary to belief and we didn't get our butts kicked at Gettysburg like a bunch of Yankees would want everyone to believe.

General Lee surrendered so that no more blood would be shed from either side of the conflict. The United States emerged more powerful after the Civil War than it would've been if there hadn't been one.

The South was outnumbered at Gettysburg yet there were more deaths and casualties on the Yankee side. Hmmm. How interesting.

I have a hatred for "the perfidious, malignant and vile Yankee race" and this also applies to Obama.

Besides, I don't care how you do it up north. To me, Obama is just doing what is typical of a vile Yankee.

[edit on 26/5/10 by Intelearthling]

"vile yankee race"

Man YOU are SOOOOOO late 1800s!
I am a "Vile yankee" although I had no idea it was a race.
Too much!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I happen to be a veteran of the United States Air Force and to be quite frank I'd rather a President honor me by keeping me out of war than by laying a wreath on my coffin. You see, most of you guys on this board look at war as Saving Private Ryan and really don't understand the reality of it. All that honor, service, and courage crap goes out the window when you're in theater. When you're in war you are no longer fighting for America, you're fighting to just be able to go home and see your family. People might tell you otherwise but when you're in a foreign country, in a hostile town, with an m16, 2 extra magazines, a canteen, 1 MRE, and no air support you will have an epiphany. The first thing that you will ponder is why the # you're there in the first place and what are you fighting for. Then you'll think about your family and if you and your wingman will survive through the night. Lastly, you will go into survival mode and do what is best for you to live another day. If you respect the soldiers quit with the war mongering and demand that the government focus money and efforts on things that benefit all of America.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Reagan and Bush 41 was not the president during a war. Bush 43 went to normandy were there are thousands of americans dead and teh name normandy is synomous with the american military, valour and sacriface. Some people are saying bush 43 skipped out on the 2007 wreith laying ceramony but here is a pic of him there
www.arlingtoncemetery.org...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51ee9f92729b.jpg[/atsimg]

This is what this is about. Not petty bickering between Partisans so brainwashed they no longer have original thoughts, but rely on Politicians to tell them what to say and think.

If Obama were in fact going to a "D" Day Memorial or was committed to a summit of World Leaders, it would be understandable. Those were reasonable reasons to not be there.

It is truly a sad time in our history to have a President who holds the system that made him President of the most powerful nation on earth in such low regard. The arrogance is breathtaking in fact.

With the aircraft he has at his disposal and paid for by us, he could easily be at this ceremony and still spend most of his time in Chicago with his friends.

It matters to the families of those who gave their lives for this country. If for no other reason than that, he should be there. He may as well spit in their faces, which is metaphorically what he is doing. Him palling around with friends is more important than their sacrifice? It would seem so.

He can take a vacation to Chicago any time he wishes. literally. This is a political statement by him. A crystal clear statement of how he feels.

He has teams who dissect everything he does to predict the impact of his actions. This, like all of his decisions, has been carefully considered for its impact. Anyone he insults, he is insulting on purpose. In this case its the survivors of people who gave their lives for him. There is simply no way this is not intentional.

Right now there are brave people in harms way, risking their lives under the command of a man who does not give a damn about them. How sad is that?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join