It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Obama to Skip Wreath Laying Ceremony at Arlington on Monday

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
So Uh...

What are all you hypocrites doing for the long weekend?

Paying your respects by going to your local Cenotaph and laying a wreath and observing all the official ceremonial protocols?

Or swilling beer, watching Nascar and stuffing your faces with BBQ?

Hypocrites

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
Cant the guy get a holiday. After all he is working very hard.

America is facing possibly its worst environmental disaster in history and he just wants to clear his head and chill out a bit.

And this is another great point. He's been dealing with a LOT - I wouldn't want his job - and I'd rather have him fresh and restored to take on the Gulf situation Monday than have him tired out from yet another presidential obligation.

The dead soldiers will still be dead and they will still be honored by millions of people across the US. One man isn't going to make a difference in anything AT ALL. Besides, he's visiting a ceremony in IL. Why are THOSE dead soldiers' families any less deserving of his presence than the ones at Arlington?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarkazmon
So Uh...

What are all you hypocrites doing for the long weekend?

Paying your respects by going to your local Cenotaph and laying a wreath and observing all the official ceremonial protocols?

Or swilling beer, watching Nascar and stuffing your faces with BBQ?

Hypocrites
Well, IF I were the POTUS,
THEN someone might care where I am going to be on Memorial Day!

Obama is the president, not me!

[edit on 26-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by cagliostro

That is kind of like saying that GWB didn't need to do anything about Katrina, because he didn't have any experience with such things.

Obama has the entire executive branch of the US government to do his bidding.

What has he done?

Sorry, but that is a lame excuse.

You ask what has he done--well I'd like to hear from you and everyone who is so OUTRAGED about Obama not laying a wreath SHOULD be doing to help solve this catastrophe. So far I've heard that he should go look at the oil-soaked wildlife, arrest the CEO of BP (and perhaps other oil companies I guess?), and hold a press conference to tell the public how bad the leak is.

I agree with the last part, and I'm sure a Congressional hearing and/or criminal/civil case will shed light on what crimes the CEO perpetrated to warrant a stay in prison (you know, the Prez can't just go around arresting people without reason), but none of these things will stop the leak, or clean up the Gulf.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Never mind, already been said...

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Sarkron]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by mishigas
This is just one more reason to hate him

And this is precisely what worries me SO MUCH about the people on ATS lately.

Just looking for one more reason to HATE.

I don't hate Obama. But I do find him disrespectful and inept at doing his job.

Not going to Arlington is going to be just one of many more things he is failing at.

He is our leader.

He has air force one at his disposal.

He can attend memorial services, AND fly down to the gulf.

This is his job.

I pray that nothing else worse happens in this country, worse than what is happening in the gulf, God help us all if it does.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcrowley06
I didn't vote for Obama. But I am curious how many of you will be spending time at a cemetary or at Arlington on memorial day. Or will most of you be guzzling beer, eating hot dogs and watching sports?

Look, I have no respect for most of his positions, but seriously, he is going to spend time with his family. The Vice President will be there at Arlington. He is just as capable of the President of laying the wreath.

This, quoted for the truth. Jesus people make such a damn big deal about him not being there. When most american's won't be doing anything to show respect for the fallen. Yes I understand why it's important but really if you are going to honor people do it all the time not just one day.

One day from a lifetime of respect will not hurt anything.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

And this is precisely what worries me SO MUCH about the people on ATS lately.

Just looking for one more reason to HATE.

Instead of worrying about the people on ATS, maybe you should look, REALLY LOOK, at why they are so upset.

But instead, you respond with another "Yeah but" post whereby you mildly acknowledge Obama's wrongdoing, but then go on to strongly criticize the post, the member posting, the source of information, or every other little detail.

You never place the blame squarely on Obama's shoulders, It's always his critics' fault. You cannot criticize him and let it go at that.

If you cannot see his true (lack of) character by now, you are too far gone to ever see it.

Go for the ball, not the player. Attack the post, not the poster(s).

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cagliostro

That is kind of like saying that GWB didn't need to do anything about Katrina, because he didn't have any experience with such things.

Obama has the entire executive branch of the US government to do his bidding.

What has he done?

Sorry, but that is a lame excuse.

You ask what has he done--well I'd like to hear from you and everyone who is so OUTRAGED about Obama not laying a wreath SHOULD be doing to help solve this catastrophe. So far I've heard that he should go look at the oil-soaked wildlife, arrest the CEO of BP (and perhaps other oil companies I guess?), and hold a press conference to tell the public how bad the leak is.

I agree with the last part, and I'm sure a Congressional hearing and/or criminal/civil case will shed light on what crimes the CEO perpetrated to warrant a stay in prison (you know, the Prez can't just go around arresting people without reason), but none of these things will stop the leak, or clean up the Gulf.
How about mobilizing FEMA?
Is this NOT an emergency?

Your excuse is that there nothing that can be done to help?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I kinda got the impression that JohnySeagull was being a bit sarcastic in his post about Obama needing to clear his head for a few days, but I'm not certain.

But yeah I agree with you: I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. The fact of the matter is he is our elected leader and needs to be "on the case." I don't know to what extent stuff is being done for the leak and the administration is just not giving it the PR push that it needs, or if they are all just hanging around the WH playing Minesweeper.

I have to imagine the options are fairly limited given that we're talking about being a mile down, and I don't know what the overall value of having POTUS directly and personally involved in every single ongoing crisis (Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, illegal immigration, the economy, health care, Wall Street shenanigans, Gulf oil leak) is as opposed to delegating his administration...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think you all forget, the other viable option for the White House was John McCain. Think about it for a minute.

I would rather have a President that skips the wreath laying ceremony than a president that leads us into World War 3.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

And that's exactly my point.This thread is about the GALL of him not being in Arlington, when we should be talking about him NOT doing something about the Gulf. THAT'S what we should be upset about.

Umm...there's nothing stopping you from starting a thread on that topic, is there? Might do wonders for your frustration if you start one instead of deflecting this thread.

Oh? Are you aware of something that Obama personally could be doing to stop the oil leak, but for some reason isn't? Perhaps he has vast experience with deep diving and sealing up oil-gushing fissures? Maybe he should visit the Gulf and at least sit on the beach, wear a hairshirt and rub gravel in through his hair in some sort of mourning ritual?

There must be something he can do! After all, GWB was blamed for Katrina, so it's fair that Obama takes the blame for the oil leak. Sounds reasonable to me!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by K J Gunderson

So since they did it, its ok for Obama to do it?
Wow.

You make the big mistake of thinking people around here support Bush.

I dont care WHO the president is, if he cant Honor those fallen troops who died because of decisions THEY make, then that goes to show you how they really feel.

This is wrong, no matter how much love you are in with the guy.

When you're complaining that Obama did something (or didn't do something) for the FIRST TIME IN HISTORY, some of the air is taken out of your argument when it's shown that he isn't the first.

Each of the last 3 Republican presidents skipped the wreath-laying at least once.

If the comments here will be directed against Reagan, Bush and any others that didn't participate, then let it start now. Otherwise you're all medacious hypocrites.

Obama probably isn't going to send a wreath to the Confederate memorial at Arlington either. Should we be upset about THAT? Bush the Younger reinstated that wrongheaded "tradition"...and thus honored traitors. Outrage? Anyone?

From another article:

This year, our current president will head back home to Chicago for the weekend and plans to speak at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Chicago.[/]

I guess those fallen veterans don't count. Only the Arlington Cemetery is the TRUE one, right?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

How about mobilizing FEMA?
Is this NOT an emergency?

Your excuse is that there nothing that can be done to help?

And NOW you want Federal intervention in something that should be handled by private enterprise or by the states affected? Glad to have you on board.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

And this is another great point. He's been dealing with a LOT - I wouldn't want his job - and I'd rather have him fresh and restored to take on the Gulf situation Monday than have him tired out from yet another presidential obligation.

ALERT: The oil will continue to spill all weekend long, every second of every minute of every hour of every day. And you want us to wait till Monday so that Barry has had a nice long nap?

Sorry - the job of POTUS is a 24x7x365 job. This is his second vacation in a month.

Want him to be all fresh? Tell him to stop jetting to Oslo for awards he didn't earn, or to Copenhagen to try and sell Chicago to the Olympic committee, or to NYC so Michelle can buy $500 sneakers.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

There must be something he can do! After all, GWB was blamed for Katrina, so it's fair that Obama takes the blame for the oil leak. Sounds reasonable to me!

Fair enough, though I would point out that the public at large was made aware that Katrina was going to make landfall in the days leading up to it.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Originally posted by Springheel Jack
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Um, Welcome to the Spin Game? I know I am naive in some things, but, yeah, they play it constantly. No surprises there.

Of course they do but hey, why let it go unchecked? Weiner Savage is still making a huge deal about what a traitor Obama is to do this "for the first time in history." People calling the show and reading this thread are swallowing it hook line and sinker. It is kind of sad how quickly otherwise intelligent people forget how to not just believe everything they read and hear.

ATS stops their brand of "logic" and "thinking" when it's not about some conspiracy.

When it's dirt on Obama, they immediately become credulous and gullible.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Want him to be all fresh? Tell him to stop jetting to Oslo for awards he didn't earn, or to Copenhagen to try and sell Chicago to the Olympic committee, or to NYC so Michelle can buy $500 sneakers.

You should probably invest in a calendar--none of these trips occurred during the oil leak disaster.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Sorry - the job of POTUS is a 24x7x365 job. This is his second vacation in a month.

Actually, Bush went to his cabin in Texas pretty often as a president. I don't know of any man who can handle working 24x7x365. You may call it a vacation, but you really have no clue how much work he does on these 'vacations'.

I love how selective some of the folks here on ATS are. They declare that the government is doing TOO MUCH, then all of the sudden the government is doing too little.

Before:
They are mobilizing FEMA, we are all going to be sent to FEMA camps!
Now:
Why will the president not mobilize FEMA!

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Takamuri]

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Takamuri]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Obama is doing something no American president has ever done in history:

George Bush and Ronald Reagan both did this.

Just got done listening to Weiner Savage rant about the same damn lie. It is a lie. I guess we just forget when the last two presidents to do it were Republican? Maybe we just fail to research facts when it looks like Obama will look bad? Maybe people are just happy being ignorant fools with no mind of their own?

Was Bush in CONUS? Did he go to the Normandy Cemetery to honor the fallen there?

Thanks
TheGear

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join