It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Obama to Skip Wreath Laying Ceremony at Arlington on Monday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Obama is doing something no American president has ever done in history: Skipped the laying of the wreath at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day. He is sending Biden in his place. Obama wants to go home to Chicago for a few days.

President Obama went to Arlington Cemetery to lay the wreath last year, but this year Obama’s handing the wreath to Plugs and heading off to the more welcoming political climes of Chicago:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama plans to spend a long holiday weekend in Chicago.

The White House says Obama and his family will travel to their hometown on Thursday and stay through the weekend. It will be their first trip back home since a visit for Valentine’s Day weekend in February 2009.

On Monday, Obama is scheduled to participate in a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill.

In Obama’s absence, Vice President Joe Biden will participate in the customary wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery outside Washington.

Obama will however make it back to Washington in time next week to honor Paul McCartney, who has sacrificed so much for the freedoms we enjoy.

michellemalkin.com...

What a fool.

+39 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
How many times have I heard "for the first time in history..." about president Obama. I just wish for once it was about something good.

-E-

+26 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Of all the weekends to take a trip back home, he picks THAT weekend.

What a way to support your troops there Obama.

WAY TO GO! Im sure all of your corrupt friends in Chicago will be glad to see you though, Im sure that you all will have MUCH to talk about.

IMPEACH THIS PUNK.

+18 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
this doesnt really surprise me. obama couldnt give two craps about those who served and died and those who are currently serving.

i guarantee if it was mao day he wouldnt miss it for nothing.

+13 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
He isn't the POTUS, he is just a POS!!! Such an embarrassing disgrace, HOPE all you who voted for this scum are happy with the CHANGE you are getting.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]

+10 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I regret ever voting for him more than ever. That article does it for me. He doesn't care. I mean, I know most the politicians don't give a rat's butt about us, but really? Really? Man, I want to egg his ritzy limo while he's driving to some fancy Chicago restaurant.

Wow...just wow....
"Obama will however make it back to Washington in time next week to honor Paul McCartney, who has sacrificed so much for the freedoms we enjoy."

+8 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The more I think about it, the more that I wouldnt want him there anymore anyways. Not now.

To me it would be an insult and a slap in the face if 'he feels that he has to go'and does so because he is 'forced'.

The soldiers/Marines/Airmen/Navy men dont need you there if you really dont want to be there.

Sending in Joe Biden because YOU DONT WANT TO DO IT is just Pathetic, and insulting.

This guy makes me sick.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have done some research, and it turns out that there are other instances where the POTUS did not lay the wreath at Arlington on Memorial Day. (Sorry - I had jumped the gun and taken the word of the talkshow host). For example, GWB attended a D-Day ceremony in Normandy instead, which is acceptable. Had he been in-country, he would have been in Arlington, I am sure.

+8 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Obama is doing something no American president has ever done in history:

George Bush and Ronald Reagan both did this.

Just got done listening to Weiner Savage rant about the same damn lie. It is a lie. I guess we just forget when the last two presidents to do it were Republican? Maybe we just fail to research facts when it looks like Obama will look bad? Maybe people are just happy being ignorant fools with no mind of their own?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mweiss
I regret ever voting for him more than ever.

Same here. Couldn't have said it better. Coming from a family of decorated war veterans, this deeply saddens me. What an idiot.

edit - The first time I was able to vote for POTUS was 2008, so whether anybody else did it or not doesn't change my opinion. Had I voted for those men I'd feel the same way. It's inexcusable. Period.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by newBodyoldSoul]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Um, Welcome to the Spin Game? I know I am naive in some things, but, yeah, they play it constantly. No surprises there.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

So since they did it, its ok for Obama to do it?
Wow.

You make the big mistake of thinking people around here support Bush.

I dont care WHO the president is, if he cant Honor those fallen troops who died because of decisions THEY make, then that goes to show you how they really feel.

This is wrong, no matter how much love you are in with the guy.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

So since they did it, its ok for Obama to do it?
Wow.

You make the big mistake of thinking people around here support Bush.

I dont care WHO the president is, if he cant Honor those fallen troops who died because of decisions THEY make, then that goes to show you how they really feel.

This is wrong, no matter how much love you are in with the guy.

Perhaps it would help you contribute more to a thread if you read the OP. I am specifically responding to the statement "Obama is doing something no American president has ever done in history:"

Something about that puzzle you?

p.s. I am not making any mistakes about who supports who either. I never named names but it is not like you people do not post in other threads so just speak for yourself.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mweiss
I regret ever voting for him more than ever. That article does it for me. He doesn't care. I mean, I know most the politicians don't give a rat's butt about us, but really? Really? Man, I want to egg his ritzy limo while he's driving to some fancy Chicago restaurant.

Wow...just wow....
"Obama will however make it back to Washington in time next week to honor Paul McCartney, who has sacrificed so much for the freedoms we enjoy."

I have been hearing a lot of this lately from people who voted for Obama and I am more amazed by it every time I hear it. What did you expect?? I am more shocked that you are disappointed that yet another career politician lied to you in order to get elected! They all do it, they have been doing it for as long as I remember. Did you really expect anything different from this guy?

I think the best question is, what was it that made you think that Obama would be any different from any other Politician than we have had for the last 50+ years or so?

More on topic: I am not shocked at all that Obama is not going. WHy would he? What does he know about service? Obama is one of the elite, he does not serve -he gets served, by people just like us. What we really need in office is regular folks. People who know what it is to work 40+ hours a week and still barely be able to make ends meet. Those are the type of people we need in Government, not career Politicians who get paid obscene amounts of money, having never had a real job, standing above us and looking down at us.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springheel Jack

Um, Welcome to the Spin Game? I know I am naive in some things, but, yeah, they play it constantly. No surprises there.

Of course they do but hey, why let it go unchecked? Weiner Savage is still making a huge deal about what a traitor Obama is to do this "for the first time in history." People calling the show and reading this thread are swallowing it hook line and sinker. It is kind of sad how quickly otherwise intelligent people forget how to not just believe everything they read and hear.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Maybe you need reading comprehension lessons.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT ""Obama is doing something no American president has ever done in history"

Like I said...Since They didnt go, its ok that Obama doesnt?

I know its hard to love a man that so many hate, but theres reason why so many hate this man, maybe you need to open your eyes?

Edit- IMPEACH OBAMA!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Common Good]

+4 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
There are SO many justifiable reasons to be FURIOUS at Obama right now and you've got your panties in a twist because he's not going to be where you think he should be this weekend???

Jesus Freaking Christ! You sound like a bunch of old ladies gossiping about the preacher having dinner at widow Wilson's house!

Be angry that he's not doing anything about illegal immigration.
Be bothered that he is imposing government further and further into your lives.
Be furious that he's not doing ANYTHING about the oil spill.
Freak out because he's sleeping with the corporations.

But whining about where and when he takes a vacation (I don't care WHAT day it is) makes you sound like a bunch of biddies at a quilting bee who have nothing better to do than bitch about something that's really none of your business! He is not obligated to lay a wreath.

Or is it that you all think he should be more politically correct?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

Maybe you need reading comprehension lessons.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT ""Obama is doing something no American president has ever done in history"

Are you serious with this? Did you mean to put quotes in there somewhere? Are you really telling me to check my reading?

First of all...

I responded to the OP saying this never happened before by pointing out that INDEED IT HAS. That is all.

Like I said...Since They didnt go, its ok that Obama doesnt?

Dazzle me with your reading comprehension skills by showing me where you read my posting anything like that. I can hardly wait!

I know its hard to love a man that so many hate, but theres reason why so many hate this man, maybe you need to open your eyes?

LMAO! You are way too funny. Is this an act? Again, dazzle me with quotes would you?

Edit- IMPEACH OBAMA!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Common Good]

Go sing it to the mountain. When you actually read anything I wrote, then reply. Until then you are just wasting space here.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I honestly have no problem with this. It's just an unimportant ritual that would happen the same whether he was there or not. He might as well pick a traditional American holiday weekend to take a break on. I don't see why people care but whatevs,

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

And maybe you should read all the posts, especially the one where I acknowledged my mistake, instead of going around ranting as if you'd uncovered some big lie.

And maybe you should acknowledge that the one Memorial Day that GWB 'skipped', he was in Normandy to celebrate the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

The one that Reagan 'skipped' was because he was at a summit of world leaders.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join