It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The major sources for myths about Jörmungandr are the Prose Edda, Húsdrápa, Hymiskviða, and Völuspá. Less important sources include kennings in skaldic poetry. For example in Þórsdrápa, faðir lögseims, "father of the sea-thread", is used as a kenning for Loki.
Tiamat was the "shining" personification of salt water who roared and smote in the chaos of original creation. She and Apsu filled the cosmic abyss with the primeval waters. She is "Ummu-Hubur who formed all things".
Originally posted by Mykahel
reply to post by ashanu90
2) The Christian gets points deducted for believing what he was taught to believe all his life? Many Christians accept Christ as their Savior long after they have left the nest. What about all the people who buy into the lie that the government is out to help them, that the civil war was about ending slavery, evolution is fact, and all that other bologna? Sounds to me like the majority of Americans are MORE brainwashed than the typical Christian.
3) There are plenty of well thought out books debunking those common scientific theories that are so often spouted as fact. This argument wont be won over the quality or quantity of books written to defend the position. I can assure you that if it was a decisive point in the argument, the Christian side would win because there is MUCH more literature based on it than any science theory.
4) Ok, history lesson. The Jews didn't just kill everybody they disagreed with. If you were a member of the community, you had to obey by the laws they had established and if you didn't, you suffered the consequences. They didn't slaughter every pagan town they came across because they disagreed. For the most part, the Jews only took cities offensively when the land was supposed to have been given to them by God. I give you my word that they had a much better reason than we do for the wars we go into today.
What savage mentality are you referring to in the New Testament? So far as I know, the entire thing is based off of the concept of "Love God and Love people." Actually, that's the main law that God gave from the very beginning, even in the Old Testament. Since you don't want scripture, I'll leave it out for now, but I guess that means you'll have to take my word for it. Now, the people God chose to represent Him did screw up plenty and did things they shouldn't have, but that does not change who God is.
5) You're right (kinda). King Solomon relected on all the wealth he had stored up and realized that it was all meaningless because when he died it would all be given away to other people and that he couldn't keep any of it. All of his work was for nothing. Everything he learned was for nothing. In the end, it seemed as though nothing mattered. Then he always returned to acknowledging that God was ruler of all and that our purpose was to love Him and that we would get to spend eternity living a life that actually had meaning and fulfillment when we enter into God's kingdom.
6) Tell me which of the ten commandments would be a bad one to make into a law. Seems to me that if people followed those laws everything would go pretty well. The only one I can see issue with is the law against serving no other gods, as that takes away from the freedom that people have to choose who they believe in or dont believe in.
7) I won't get you started on the crusades or inquisitions because they have nothing to do with God or real Christian faith. They have to do with Muslims slaughtering thousands of innocent people and taking over the land of millions. Those people who were forced to leave their homes eventually turned around and tried to take back what had been stolen from them after hundreds of years of being persecuted and slaughtered. Those people who went to fight the Muslims included but were definitely not limited to Christians. But the Christians who did go to fight were often mislead by corrupt men who had taken up positions of authority within the church. If you want to complain about that, then maybe I should bring up the millions killed by abortion every year, or our military's actions against innocent people around the world.
Hosea 9:11-16 Hosea prays for God’s intervention. “Ephraim shall bring forth his children to the murderer. Give them, 0 Lord: what wilt thou give? Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. . .Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.” Clearly Hosea desires that the people of Ephraim can no longer have children. God of course obeys by making all their unborn children miscarry. Is not terminating a pregnancy unnaturally “abortion”?
Numbers 5:11-21 The description of a bizarre, brutal and abusive ritual to be performed on a wife SUSPECTED of adultery. This is considered to be an induced abortion to rid a woman of another man’s child.
Numbers 31:17 (Moses) “Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every women that hath known man by lying with him.” In other words: women that might be pregnant, which clearly is abortion for the fetus.
Hosea 13:16 God promises to dash to pieces the infants of Samaria and the “their women with child shall be ripped up”. Once again this god kills the unborn, including their pregnant mothers.
2 Kings 15:16 God allows the pregnant women of Tappuah (aka Tiphsah) to be “ripped open”. And the Christians have the audacity to say god is pro-life. How and the hell is it that Christians can read passages where God allows pregnant women to be murdered, yet still claim abortion is wrong?
1 Samuel 15:3 God commands the death of helpless "suckling" infants. This literally means that the children god killed were still nursing.
Psalms 135:8 & 136:10 Here god is praised for slaughtering little babies.
Psalms 137:9 Here god commands that infants should be “dashed upon the rocks”.
8) Yes, corrupt people still take positions of authority in the church. If I jhad it my way (Which is the way that the Bible would teach), all of these people in the church involved in that sickening behavior would be excommunicated and would never be able to have a position in the church again, even if they did repent. Claiming to be a Christian is not the same as being one. Being a Christina means following Christ. Since these wicked men are not following Christ, they cannot by definition be called Christians.
9) Yes, Benny Hinn will burn in Hell if he doesn't repent and change his ways. The Bible is very clear about those who pervert the good news of the Bible to try and get rich off of it. I actually did a paper on Benny in college and the man sickens me.
I'm sorry, but your rant was thrown together with bits and pieces from every angle you could possibly find to spew unsubstantiated claims against Christians and Christianity. Using the style that you did, any person could make an argument about anything they didn't like due to events that were similar or barely related. Please do yourself a favor and go do some research. I would highly suggest getting a study Bible so you know exactly what it is you claim is so evil. Perhaps you should start with the book of Matthew or Luke. Either one would help out a lot in your understanding.