another reason why i think religious people are being fooled

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxSteiner

well i imagine things are different in the uk with richard dawkins leading the way for atheism, or maybe its just that i live in the bible belt of america with tons of brainwashed zeolots
that will hunt you down and corner you at mcdonalds to talk jesus to you.
im not lying its happened to me!

but im cool with you if your cool with me

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

But instead of reading a bit of the old testement and basing your entire view of religion on that

I'm sure this is true of some atheists but not me. I was always fascinated by other religions and philosophies. Reading the Bible almost in its entirety is one of the many things that helped me lose my faith.

I did a little studying of other faiths, learned a bit about the 8 Fold Path and Buddhism and visited a Mosque during prayer and talked to those within about their beliefs and even spent a little while believing in reincarnation. Eventually I became an agnostic theist, which means I believed in a God who was basically a benevolent energy in the Universe but who didn't get involved directly in the physical world (in that sense I could have been classified as a Deist as well). I even for a time considered becoming a polytheist, just picking a random ancient pantheon almost as a joke, it was a toss up between the Norse gods and the Aztec feather serpent Quetzalcoatl.

But I lost that faith too realizing that it was just a psychological hold over from my years of indoctrination into fundamentalist Christianity. Holding new age beliefs that were essentially meaningless within physical reality wasn't doing me any good.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
reply to post by TheGiantPeach4

thanks for the info ill check it out

So you'll read a book filled with the predictions of a 20th centuary psychic (who predicted atlantis would rise from beneath the waves in the 30s), but not the books of any of the worlds major faiths?!?!?!

Very strange.

If you like that, and you want some more nonmainstream quassi religion check out madame blavatsky, its great sci fi

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGiantPeach4
reply to post by ashanu90

Not to battle your belief system but do have a question.

Where did we come from?

now theres the question of the unit of time that measures all existance as of right now

i like the theory of the primordial soup and i am somewhat open to the idea of alien design but i just cannot get myself to believe we were magically created by an all knowing god

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I guess the issue is imperfect humans trying to explain perfection which ends up with many stories that have holes in them since one has a hard time explaining something that just cannot be explained. So since humans in all their imperfections just can’t do it right other humans assume that it means that pure perfection just doesn’t exist at all.

I don’t see this as thinking out of the box…..

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaxSteiner

So you'll read a book filled with the predictions of a 20th centuary psychic (who predicted atlantis would rise from beneath the waves in the 30s), but not the books of any of the worlds major faiths?!?!?!

Very strange.

If you like that, and you want some more nonmainstream quassi religion check out madame blavatsky, its great sci fi

who said that i wouldnt read those other books? your making assumptions
and if you like madame blavatsky i would suggest you read mien kampf
ive read some of that too, im actually a well read person
i didnt read much of it though i just read about where he was born and his childhood, its a very interesting read from the small amount ive read

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Very strange.

Hey Max whats up?

What did you think of the book!!!???

*whispering.....
"side bet everybody: im all in that Max hasn't even heard of the book!
how about you?"

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I guess the issue is imperfect humans trying to explain perfection which ends up with many stories that have holes in them since one has a hard time explaining something that just cannot be explained. So since humans in all their imperfections just can’t do it right other humans assume that it means that pure perfection just doesn’t exist at all.

I don’t see this as thinking out of the box…..

it is thinking outside the box
for one to look around at all the imperfect stories
and figure that there is no perfection is just as far outside the box as one who thinks that perfection exists but cannot be explained

because to be inside the box means to believe everything your told

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I knew there must be some well read ones
but once again it seems you come from a christian back ground.
I wonder if theres something about that faith and the way its practiced nowadays which drives people to that outlook?
I suppose part of it is the fact that Jesus, quite clearly was not into organised religion, and that Peter was clearly just craming as many pagan holidays and practices into the faith (Or the fact that most of it was written in the middle ages...).
But for me thats the appeal of religious writings, you can trace alot of it back to earlier faiths, alot of the old testement for example is stolen from the other civilisations of the middle east, and the really objectionable bits which people these days find so upsetting are actually very good rules for a desert dwelling ancient set of peoples to live by.
There is clearly a distinction between a faith and its tennants, any glance through the bible will show you as much, which is why I tend to be bemused when people make blanket claims one way or the other.

Personally I don't have a faith in anything except the void which I hope is waiting to swallow me when I die, don't think I could deal with reincarnation or an after life

But it strikes me that if there is an all seeing, all knowing god, who encompasses everything there is, than thats all it is, the void.
Because the only thing that can encompass everything is nothing.

Don't see the need for a heaven or hell or karma to motivate people to do good.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Nope, gotta be honest, I've read about Edgar Cayce in fortean times and in various unexplained magazines, seen documentarys about him and googled a few of his prediction and gone through them, and came to the conclusion that the man was an intresting crackpot, but a crack pot none the less, and as such goes somewhere near the bottom of my to read pile

Along similar lines though have you read any Rudolf Steiner? I think you might like him if you like Cayce

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGiantPeach4

Not to battle your belief system but do have a question.

Where did we come from?

now theres the question of the unit of time that measures all existance as of right now

i like the theory of the primordial soup and i am somewhat open to the idea of alien design but i just cannot get myself to believe we were magically created by an all knowing god

Primordial soup indeed!

Aliens, possibly... if so, "aliens" being the "gods" you bet'cha!

But then if we were definent on the alien/god theory, what to ask next?

Where did they (aliens/gods) come from?

Ok, now we figured that ? out, where did that, them, they, etc. come from?

I'll Show You Where "IT ALL" COMES' from.....

"Hope you watched the wole thing... cuz it doesn't get exciting till the last
20 sumthin seconds" (plus, I love the song
)

Anyways... you see where I'm going with this?

I'ts an ongoing process of question after question after question (3.14) which ultimately leads to more questions.

Hence.... "Infinite Consciousness"

Enjoy the journey!

[edit on 26-5-2010 by TheGiantPeach4]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

whoa whoa whoa back up
were close to the same side but your condemning me for my views?
where do you get off
it shouldnt matter to you WHY i think what i thinks it should matter WHAT i think

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

my studies seemed to be suggesting that hell AND the lake of fire, are not what they appear to be in the english translation. as far as norse history (i don't call ancient data, mythology. i call it history) is concerned, i believe it's the same exact story as the one in the bible, egyptian and sumerian-akkadian texts. LOKI is ENKI. The things they share in common are related to being clever, which has been viewed as a good thing and a bad thing, depending on who it benefited.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

whoa whoa whoa back up
where do you get off
it shouldnt matter to you WHY i think what i thinks it should matter WHAT i think

What?
No it shouldn't at all.
I said I imagine we had similar childhoods.

I don't have to agree with anyone who hasn't read things he's commenting on. Thats like a marvel fan telling me green lantern is crap.

The what you think is not the sort of thing I'd want my name put too

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

it is thinking outside the box
for one to look around at all the imperfect stories
and figure that there is no perfection is just as far outside the box as one who thinks that perfection exists but cannot be explained

because to be inside the box means to believe everything your told

But people are not debating the stories, but whether God exists at all. I find it a rather big difference.

What we could easily have as a like example is that of a caveman seeing a UFO and drawing it on their cave walls to have people 10000 years later see it for nothing at all.

To throw logic loops into 2000 year old stories really doesn't do much in disproving if a god exists in anyway. It comes down to whether one believes their life energy continues after death or if dying is a true end. In either case there is only one way to find out…hehe

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

So do you see the gods as Jungian archetypes, manifestations of the human mind, or do you see this as proof of some original religion flowing on down the ages?

I'm always a bit hesitant to use norse gods in any sort of religious arguament, because you can make a very convincing case that the stories weren't written down until christian missionaries did so, and as such the only records we have were tailored to fit the judeo-Christian paradigm.
But you coult for instance make the case for Seth-Set etc (infact most of the Jewish patriacs of the bible were pre covenant gods werent they?)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

that is an incredible video isnt space such a beautiful thing?
it reminds me of a theory that in each little tiny atom there is a universe within itself that goes on forever

thats incredible now lets get to work answering those questions

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Steiner Men!.... Steiner Men!.......

If They Can't Do It.... No One Can!

STEINERRRR MENNNNN!

Thanks for the Rudolph Steiner reccommendation.

Im really not a fan of Cayces predictions. Nor am I
a fan of any prediction. The future is not set in stone.
(although, I do believe in an infinite amount of possibilities)
Im just interested in his way of thinking through the "SELF"
using the "Akashic Records."

Which is why I LOVE that book.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

whoa whoa whoa back up
where do you get off

you know what never mind it doesnt realy matter so any thoughts on anything else ive posted?
What?
No it shouldn't at all.
I said I imagine we had similar childhoods.

I don't have to agree with anyone who hasn't read things he's commenting on. Thats like a marvel fan telling me green lantern is crap.

The what you think is not the sort of thing I'd want my name put too

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well I think I can at least answer the vatican sex scandle thing.
The reason why its news is that a recent court case and the ensuing contraversy forced the Pope to bring in radical reform (And when I say radical I actually mean obvious, and find it slightly shocking they didnt do this anyway!), in future sex scandals are reported to the police in the first instance and the priest is suspended until the police bring their findings.

Um.... the other questions don't function so we ll as questions really.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join