It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

another reason why i think religious people are being fooled

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Correction, "Dolls", which are of course, wiked.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hey it's 2010, don't listen to those Christians who have been telling the same story for thousands of years.
Infact don't listen to any religion because it's just not trendy any more.

You do want to be trendy don't you. It is 2010.

We all know the Atheist is a very trendy "cool" person. So therefore they are right just because they are cool. Have you ever seen how they always seem to have some cool sig or like to use the "laughing" smiley or the "eye rolling one" at the end of their posts. Sometimes they even use like a scary demon avatar, like they are some closet evil being. I told you they are Cool.

Don't think "hey, those Atheiests seem to rely on nothing as evidence but just give their own view" because they have man's science to back them up.

That's right, Science and did I mention it's 2010.

Science has to be right because it keeps changing and fixing all the mistakes/results in it's own past. Lucky Man is smart enough to control his own Science and impress himself with it.

Come on be don't "uncool", ditch religion and be trendy. Infact why not just think that you are cooler than any god.

C'mon be cool and attack Christians to prove your coolness. It is 2010.

If you are cool you will know that you are here by chance and for no real reason at all. How cool is that !

Those Christians are so dumb and way not cool.

I'm going back to play some games on my console, at least they teach me about life.

^ Sarcasm is rife in this post, can you spot it ?!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

You are right that in most conflicts, neither side is guilt free. Often times both parties are far from innocent regarding one thing or another. People who think our own Civil War was a black and white story (meaning that one side was good and the other either, not at all referring to the race/slavery issue that wasn't at all the driving force for the war) have no idea about the various issues involved. There is a lot of gray area, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility that some issues are black and white. Personally, I think that the Bible provides a lens through which to view the world, showing some things to be black and white issues. It does address some issues as gray areas and are refers to them as "matters of opinion" and no judgment is supposed to be made on those issues. Possibly a bit off topic there but oh well.

Also, yes, Eldar are very hard to play, but can be very effective is used right. I haven't got to that point yet...

The new Codex helped out a bit, and gave them a little more "umph". Personally, I'm just glad they made the new Wraithlord models. Those old things were hideous and far from intimidating. I mean seriously. Wraithguard and Wraithlords are some of my favorite units to use, I like them for the sheer power and durability.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NaturaltoBelieve

sarcasm will win you as many freinds as it does enemies dont you know?
i learned that one myself

science however is the art of seeking the truth through logic, and can be very hands on, theres much you can learn from cience that you cant get from religion. theres more to it than those useless facts you learned in hi school.

im not being trendy just so you know

and sometimes videogames can teach you a thing or two, if its a real time strategy, or historically based
check out the age of empires series if your interested in a fun learning expierience.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mykahel

well im glad we can agree. its nice to have common ground no?
dont eldar have very few strong units with slow firing? look out for orc players, theoritically numerous, quick, cheap and, weak would easily overwhelm slow powerful eldar
im not realy sure how to counter that with eldar....
but im sure you will find a way
good luck out there

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Condense this into simple, short questions instead of text after text of fearful and angry babel.

Or you can just send me a U2U and I will be happy to answer you.
Sounds like your scared and need some reassurance of your lack of faith to me though.

I'm not surprised though, a lot of people here at ATS are very fearful of the day they die, cause they fear the judgment that comes afterward.
Let me just tell you this, nothing that you DO in this life can send you to hell.
Its what you don't do, that will send you to heaven. Acts 16:30-31 Look it up.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
here are a couple odd things that i have noted about the cristian religion, first has anyone noted that millions died as a result of crusifixion- and yet you see it on every temple that you see. so in reality cristians are worshiping a symbol of death and torture. if jesus had been shot there would be a gun up there and noone would say anthing about it.

second- if god is infallible than how come many documents in the bible have had to be removed because of blasphimous content? this does not sound like the work of a all powerfull being to me

third- one would think that the bible would say something about dinosors in the begining. one would think that it might be a important notation- for the bible says that all creachers are his children or somthing like that. it talks about what existed in the begining- yet leaved out thease magnificent crechers. and than one would ask why he killed them all off?

just a couple of thoughts- reply if you want some more

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxSteiner
Why don't Athiests ever understand allegory?

Why can't theists learn how to spell ?!

Is there ANY theist here who can spell "atheist" correctly ?

Kap

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

All views are equally valid.

So,
the flat earth view is as valid as round earth ?

Scientology is just a valid as science ?

Believing in faeries is equally valid as believing in ferries ?

Homosexuality is just as valid as hetero ?

The UFO abductees' views are just as valid as astronomers views ?

The drug using lifestyle is as valid as any other view ?

Islamic fundamentalism as as valid as human rights ?

The view that 2+2=5 is just as valid as 2+2=4 ?

What a laugh....

Kap

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Its like being cornered by a moon landing conspiracy nut in a bar, who's telling you mankind could not possibly have got into space, when you know DAMN WELL he hasn't even got a grasp on high school science.

I know the feeling -

We've been cornered by a nut who can't even SPELL the word he is arguing about !

Kap

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
heres another thing, it is said that god knows you before your even born, that he knows the number of every hair on your head, in short he is all knowing, or omnipotent
so why is it that he creates people like me, knowing full well i will reject the bible and become an athiest and then be sent to hell? what exactly is the point of creating people like me? amusement?obstacles to make challenges for true believers? if so i am just being used, so if true can you really claim that god is a kind and fair being?
bollocks!

Sorry if its been touched on but ( at least what my family thought me) I was led to believe they god was more of a parent or caretaker which meant (again at least to me) that God wouldn't want take the freedom to change your fate from you. Would you want to have to keep track of each and everyone of your kids until they die or would you rather give them a basic guideline on how to live so that they could take care of themselves?

and another thing on omnipotence, its said that god created everything, you, me, heaven and hell, and of course the devil, satan/beelezebub whatever you want to call him/her. that being said anyone who claims belief in this must also believe that god created evil, and being omnipotent knew full well what he was doing. so answer me this, how can god be good and create evil on purpose?

God (again from what I see) did knowingly create all things and again he treated the Angels (what Satan and the other monsters once were) also like child so he knew Satan was becoming greedy but again he saw the Angels as worthy the knowledge of good and evil. Angels can be since as our older siblings who were to care for us. Now some Angels (like Satan and the others) were jealous of us, like a older sibling anger towards a younger one for being favored. God even held us up as better to the other Angels so that they wouldn't look down on us. Now I don't believe God is all perfect, but he knew and understood that his "children" could and would not do as he wants, but again would you want to force your kids to do what you want all the time or just punish and or let your kids (who should know better) fall on their butts?

i remember once when i was little i asked about why the dinosaurs had all died and my mom, being a christian said, god sometimes makes mistakes, they didnt worship them so he got rid of them...with an asteroid. is this the same god people are talking about when they talk about a benvolient, merciful, just, loving and, understanding god???????

also a question for christians, do you believe that animals go to heaven? if so, did the dinosaurs go to heaven or hell, if anywhere at all?

I personally do not know your mom, but I've never would have believed this either lol, I believe either god killed them to prevent harm to us, or hell because their has been evidence to it maybe we killed them since alot of people believe we were older than is said, personally though I think he like with other animals just let it run its course. The whole asteroid thing is also dumb to me.

As for animals as a whole I don't think they are held to such high standards as they mostly live according to his will (the kiss-&&&es if you will lol) so I guest they would go up to heaven or cycle back to earth. Again I must say God isn't our friend he is like most parents should be in some cases A PARENT he only needs to help us if he sees it as needed.

By the way I'm more a Deist and I don't take the bible as word of mouth, I personally have noticed certain lessons poping up to me to learn a guide if you will and I prayed for someone to teach me these kinds of lessons and though it does prove God is real its real to me and thats enough.

Thank you for giving me something to discuss

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Since you have a pattern of starting these types of posts, please explain why you care about religion or chrisitianity? You continually say that you are very confident in your beliefs yet want to criticize religion. If you are so confident in those beliefs then just go with them and forget about what anybody else thinks. Why does it really matter? What is the real issue you have with religion?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by intjus01

I would assume he/she cares so much of the topic for the same reason as I do. The fact that this fairy tale fictional nonsense produces irrational behavior and opinions that is indeed potentially harmful to others around them having differing views.

Such views stunt the progress of real discovery and exploration, and makes folks believe they have the answers regardless of how truly idiotic their answers actually are. Additionally their views include that of being SEXIST and RACIST. They quietly celebrate to themselves when hearing about other religions members being tortured or killed. They then feel the absolute NEED to spew this hateful nonsense to others thinking they are doing some VIOLENT MURDEROUS Hebrew Gods work to which they will be rewarded one day.

Thats just the TIP of the HUGE iceberg...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Shine71

Thank you for the response.

I would agree that a segment of religion does promote some very distasteful acts and practices. This is true for many religions, not just Christianity. There have been many, many horrible things done in the name of religion. Zealots who force their beliefs down the throats of others give everyone a bad name. Regardless of what they believe.

I would simply ask that it be kept in mind that not all those who believe in some higher being are radical in nature. I've studied most every major religion of the world. Really devoted a large part of my life to it. I've also studied all the theories related to evolution and science. For me, I can't say that either carries an overwhelming level of evidence. I believe that all religious teachings were primarily teaching a way of life that if followed would produce a higher level of fulfillment, peace, and happiness.

What is disappointing with most of the threads like this is that the dialogue errodes into simple name calling and finger pointing. If we could perhaps engage in an open dialogue maybe some conclusions could be reached.

However I'm not optimistic on achieving a dialogue. This is simply because we are talking about two completely different things. Philosophy or faith is very difficult to marry with science. The attempt to compare human belief systems with scientific evidence is a challenge that no one yet has been able to overcome.

I think what it comes down to for many is that somewhere somehow they were hurt by religion and the church. Unfortunately, IMO, the mainstream church does not teach the truth on many issues. Religion is highjacked for political motives, social control, or some other less than appealing motive. There is a long history of this.

As far as the "where did we come from" question goes...I really don't have a solid opinion on it.

We have the Genesis story. The Gnostic Christians had a similar story with more details in "On the Origins of the World". The Sumerians, Egyptians, and Mesopotamians all had a similar story which reflects more closely with the Gnostic texts. We have the stargate theory and alien origins associated with it. I guess the one thing that does strike me is that the stories are very similar and when you read all of them you can get a better picuture than simply from the Genesis story.

Then we have the evidence from evolutionists. The English Moth observation being the most commonly cited example. Natural selection, genetic variation, macro and micro evolution along with other theories from Darwin, Dawkins, Cowan and others.

Which is right? One is belief, the other is science. Does one really trump the other? Does either really have all the answers? I don't know.

Again thank you for your response.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Shine71

Umm....

I don't rejoice when I see the photos of Muslim women being splashed with acid because they looked at another man, or pictures of little children ripped to shreds by the car bombs that terrorists use. These things break my heart, and they break the heart of every true Christian. There are many who claim to be Christians, but claiming to be a professional athlete doesn't make you one any more than claiming to be a Christians makes you a Christian. Christians are followers of Christ, and so their actions and speech should mirror that of Jesus of Nazareth.

Any person who believes in the teachings of Jesus and takes them as their own could not look at the violence done to these people and be happy about it in any way. I'm happy when the big stars make fools of themselves promoting scientology, but harm to ones ego is far different from harm to ones body and mind.

Perhaps if you knew the wickedness fo the civilizations that God destroyed, you would see their destruction as the result of justice instead of a murderous rampage. We don't see the big picture and we don't know the exact reasons behind the actions that God took against those people.

I'm honestly not sure where you are seeing Christianity as celebrating violence. I'll be the first to admit that God is not a pushover, care-bear God with no power or authority, and that he will one day judge the world. I also acknowledge that the very core of Jesus' teaching was to Love God and Love your neighbor. Every law, even Old Testament laws, were based off of those two principles. If you read the laws found in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, you'll find that most of the time the sections of laws start out with the command to love God and to love each other. That has always been the key focus of the faith.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by humanfiredemon
here are a couple odd things that i have noted about the cristian religion, first has anyone noted that millions died as a result of crusifixion- and yet you see it on every temple that you see. so in reality cristians are worshiping a symbol of death and torture. if jesus had been shot there would be a gun up there and noone would say anthing about it.

We don't worship the cross, but acknowledge it as a powerful symbol of the sacrifice that was made for us. I do agree with you partially though, as I fear that some have made it into the item of worship itself. Christians see the cross as a thing of beauty because of what it symbolizes to them: Salvation.

What is more awkward is the use and wearing of the cross by those who are not Christian, as they are wearing a symbol of death and murder, as they do not see it as a message of hope and grace.

second- if god is infallible than how come many documents in the bible have had to be removed because of blasphimous content? this does not sound like the work of a all powerfull being to me

God is perfect and infallible. The Bible is the work of fallible men who were inspired by God. It was not dictated to people as they wrote it down. You can see the personality of the different authors in the different books within the Bible.

Many books did not have to be removed. There was a council put together to try and figure out which books were actually inspired by God and which were the works of heretics and con artists trying to make a quick buck or pollute the word of God. The books that are in the Bible now are the same ones that have been there for hundreds of years. Translations have changed to help keep the language relevant and understandable as our own English language evolves. Some translations are there because of the discovery of older original texts that are more accurate.

third- one would think that the bible would say something about dinosors in the begining. one would think that it might be a important notation- for the bible says that all creachers are his children or somthing like that. it talks about what existed in the begining- yet leaved out thease magnificent crechers. and than one would ask why he killed them all off?

Actually, the Bible does talk about dinosaurs, it just didnt call them that. The word Dinosaur didn't even get coined until 1841, long after the Bible was written. The word means something along the lines of "terrible lizard." The Bible speaks about the Leviathan and the Behemoth, both creatures that are generally understood to be giant and fearsome. Not all creatures are the children of God, just humans. He would have created them in the beginning with the rest of creation, but there is a chance that they never recovered after flood.

Taking a look at the history of many European and Asian countries, it is greatly possible that dinosaurs were just hunted to extinction like other animals we have known about. All the stories about slaying dragons and such lead to the theory that dinosaurs, often referred to as dragons, used to walk around as recently as the last couple thousand years. If this is true, the fossil records of the dinosaurs we have found could be MUCH more recent than the proposed millions and billions of years they so often suggest. Do a quick study of dinosaurs in recent history and dragons. It's quite interesting at least.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hi
My favourite free-thinker is Christopher Hitchens, a true intellectual and genious with words, he presents many cohesive arguments for "anti-theism" and shows why religion is corruption and slavery of the human mind.

Enjoy people and think carefully

EDIT: All religious users i suggest you listen to the points and think about your counter arguments carefully before you post without reasoning initially.

ADD: SORRY IF THE LINK DOESN'T WORK

HERE IT IS: www.youtube.com...

Peace

[edit on 7/6/10 by awake_and_aware]

[edit on 7/6/10 by awake_and_aware]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mykahel

i did as you suggested and i admit that the bibe does talk about creatures that would seem to resemble a dinosour. and even if people are just respecting the cross i still think it is wrong.

i got the bible thing because suposedly it is the derect word of god. good point about people writing just to make money, however i dont think it was a bestseller in those times. but that is just a thought on the basis of how few documents have been found.

recent thing that has come to my attention that i think is still happening around the country. the priests molesting the alter boys-- i bring this up because they are suposedly the embisarys of god, so thus god must like little boys!-- would answer the age old question, "why, why god did you take him he was so young and innocent"-- perhaps i went too far on that last one so i will go on to another interesting thing i noted.

why did it take 6 days to create the earth, what about the rest of the universe- lets see there are trillions of planets in the universe, each one takes 6 or so days depending on the intericisies, so 6x 1000000000000= 6000000000000 days. and 6000000000000/ 360= 16666666666.66666666666667 years. that is quite a bit of work plus add a day for rest. does he really have time to be listening to any prayers on our puney little planet. he should be out there creating more planets- especally sense the universe is constantly expanding.

also why do we all pray to him on his day off, one would think that it would be politer to pray to him on a day that he is actually working! the 7th day is when he is taking his little nap and resting in between building new planets.
and also why does god need to rest? he is all powerfull creating a planet shouldnt be that hard for a being with no weeknesses. it just doesnt seem right!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Creating something is very different from creating something that is self-replicating.

I have questions of my own:

How has God ever let you down? How has He failed to live up to His word?

How come we as people think it's okay to question a Supreme Being whose existence has never been DISproven, and who continues to woo and win millions of devotees every year, from every religion and from atheists as well, all in a way that is invisible, impenetrable, and unbreakable, through something that is more powerful than any force, yet as gentle as a leaf rustling in the wind?

And sorry for my passionate criticism earlier. Copperflower=Christian=human being.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
Creating something is very different from creating something that is self-replicating.

I have questions of my own:

How has God ever let you down? How has He failed to live up to His word?

How come we as people think it's okay to question a Supreme Being whose existence has never been DISproven.....

Firstly, you have to prove the existence of god before you ask someone if he/she believes they have been let down by a said being.

Secondly, and relating to my first point, it has never been proven though, because its unfalsifiable. Science and truth hasn't unravelled the mystery that far as of yet...

As of now, its a "theory" but can be compared to no scientific theory as it is based on no truth apparent to man, its metaphysical concepts are dilusional.

Just because people feel good doing something doesn't mean its right, to falsely believe in a story because it gives you comfort. It's like Macdonalds, some people feel good when eating that stuff, but truely the rest of us can see its bad for society and civilsation.

Theists accept, they do not question. And it's a bit suspect that they need god for morality...as if without god, they would be out raping, stealing and lying because they hadn't read the 10 commandments, pah. Spare me this foolish nonsense. If you wish to be servile to a man-made devine being then feel free, but i hope a lot more people wake up from this idiocy

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join