It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of 2012: Mass Suicide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hello everyone! I am SubPop and this is my first thread! So, to start....

If you don't know about the theories behind 2012, then you are probably the safest, as you have been living in a cave your whole life. The date is no stranger to everyone here on this site, be you believer or non-believer.

I do not want this thread to go south with people arguing over whether it will or will not be the end. I simply want to start a discussion about what could happen across the globe if NOTHING of prophetic or mystical proportions happens on the date of December 21, 2012.

Now, because of the colossal popularity of 2012, and the dramatic increase of folks believing in it, I have become apprehensive of the date. If the world does end, then the believers are right and thus dead and the discussion is over. But if the date turns out to be a dud, then we could have a huge problem on our hands.

Let's all turn our minds eye to the past and relive the Hale-Bopp comet experience. I was but a child when this happened, but being a HUGE fan of dinosaurs, I was scared sh**less. I could see the thing from my window, and that view probably changed my view of the cosmos, and thus life as I knew it, in an incredible manner. I imagine it was the same for many people, specifically the Heaven's Gate Cult, though in a much more radical, crazy sort of way.

en.wikipedia.org...

From Wiki: "The Heaven's Gate mass suicide occurred in a hilltop mansion near San Diego, California, in 1997. They were mistakenly reported to believe an alien spaceship was following in the tail of the Comet Hale-Bopp and that killing themselves was necessary to reach it. They were cited on their website as wishing to reach the next plane of existence. The victims were self-drugged and then suffocated by other members in a series of suicides over a period of three days. Thirty-nine died, from a wide range of backgrounds"

Their beliefs about the comet and it's UFO counterpart, coupled with their ideologies about this "higher plane of existence" seem to be very similar to what is being said about 2012, though this is just one aspect of 2012.

Now 2012 is a theory that has spread like wild fire through out the world. I am sure there are TONS of people preparing for disaster, by gathering food and supplies, relocating, etc. It is probably striking fear into the hearts and minds of thousands.

Now if NOTHING actually happens on the date, what then, aside from the embarrassment of thousands? What of the stock market? The food market? The housing industry?

I personally believe that if nothing happens, then we will be leigantic parties where people die of over-dose (this I only want to believe). Granted most do not prescribe to the idea of the world ending on that date, there is a large group that does.

Which brings me to the point MAIN point of this thread. Could there possibly be a mass suicide on this this date, or the days before hand? If 39 individuals in a cult killed themselves because of believing in a UFO, what is to stop the hysterics from killing themselves in fear of the world ending, which is a much bigger ordeal than a UFO.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

Which brings me to the point MAIN point of this thread. Could there possibly be a mass suicide on this this date, or the days before hand? If 39 individuals in a cult killed themselves because of believing in a UFO, what is to stop the hysterics from killing themselves in fear of the world ending, which is a much bigger ordeal than a UFO.

You're right, anything can happen. What's to stop the disenchanted or anyone for that matter from doing anything on 2012? Nothing. They may all join hands and sing mary had a little lamb too. Remember that crazy cult that did that at one time? Yeah, that was something alright.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Of course but probably just one or two with a few people involved in each one.
Most of the world are sane enough not to do that sort of thing thankfully.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm sure there are more than a few cults out there created from all the theories about 2012 that have much more than 39 people though.

If people do hold hands and sing though, that would be beautiful, even if they turn out to be wrong.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Good job !

Good job !

Now to make it truly meaningful, we need for millions to quit breeding as well

and if their fixation with everything 2012 achieves that and rids the planet of a few million more .... then good job

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I love the Heaven's Gate materiel so much, I used to play this vid for hours at my work and practice using this most excellent diction:

Google Video Link

More on topic, though, remember the harmonic convergence?...nothing much happened then either...and the Y2K riots were a big disappointment as well...

[edit on 25-5-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
With the way the media is "Advertising" 2012 it wouldn't surprise me to wake up the next day to find a similar headline.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
2012 is a major day for satanist isn't it? It is an important date for astrological events, so i would assume whatever happens on this day is going to be closesly related with chaos that was created within groups that are,

apart of the government

major corporate entites

bankers

anti government

Look for Nuclear explosions caused by hackers. A major EMP device wrecking havoc on the electrical systems. Or something along those lines. Also consider martial law as a result of those events. Everything is connected, computer hacking terrorist may be more of a threat then anything.

They thrive off of chaos, and death.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This reminds me of the movie avatar, many grew depressed after watching that movie.

I don't think people want to see the end of the world, but they do long for a change. And usually change only happens because of something extreme.

I don't call the world we live in a happy place, its difficult to have happiness when there is so much suffering.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
after the 2012 date passes, the popculture crowd will focus on the 3rd Temple again,
then the Kali Yuga will gain a resurgance, but more than the underground murmurs it had in the cultural revolution of the '60s

40-50 years ago, the quiet dooms-dayers, spoke in whispers of the 2nd millennium having a cataclysm that makes the Nazi holocaust pale in its destructiveness, the Catholics & their fiery 'judgement' was also big then and should make a grand come-back... but not the overused nuclear fires, no this will be a cosmic fire from the heavens.

2012 is just a convienient focusing point for all the diverse 'end times' scenarios from the dozens of cultures and traditions in the contemporary world... the Jihads, the Jim Jones, the Rabbi Messiahs, will always be with us as people, only the faces of the generations change...

we are all caught up in a armageddon, end-times meme of destruction,
it permeates our lives in hundreds of subtile, and obtuse ways...
its part of the paradigm, its part of the matrix, its ingrained into our collective consciousness
~ it does not matter if its a true thing ~
~we live our live in a constant response mode, to the idea that there will be an end-time to civilization

no big deal

[edit on 25-5-2010 by St Udio]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Are you saying that if it doesn't happen, societies will live out their lives in a manner that is progressive like a post apocalyptic world, as if 2012 was just a training scenario? If not, then I'm confused.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Anyone else? Come on, the US is crazy!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Mass suicides are scary, but I don't see them happening with regards to 2012. There might be a few scattered incidents, but nothing approaching Heaven's Gate levels.

What does scare me is the prospect of some asshole terrorists plotting a series of major terrorist attacks to coincide with December 21, 2012, in an attempt to create mass panic. I believe that they will try. My only proof is that terrorists are inventive assholes. Suffice to say that if I were a member of Al-Qaeda, I'd try to put something together.

Fortunately for us all, the Demon Murphy is not kind to terrorists.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
There have many "end of world" scenarios. There are so many conflicting theories as to what will actually happen, it would be very doubtful for them all to come true - plus some are predicting doom and gloom and others are predicting nirvana - how can this be? Inevitably there will be some people who die on that day - thousands die every day. I think there is a possibility of mass suicides, but only in those cults where 2012 is seen as the day of transcendence to heaven - or whatever. As far as I know, mainstream world religions do not believe in this as an end date. Now, if they all came out, and said, "Yes, this is it" - then I think there would be more cause to worry

A lot of people are preparing for 2012, and the ones I have been in contact with are doing this in a positive way. As long as it isn't too big an anticlimax if it doesn't happen, then those people will have benefited from the preparation if nothing else!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Meshakhad

Yes, I think you have a point here. The potential for mischief-making of all kinds is very great. It doesn't even have to be a terrorist - just one individual could cause havoc. There's a very interesting fictional novel called "In the courts of the Sun" by Brian D'Amato, which explores this concept.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jax11

There was one individual 'terrorist' today in Cumbria, England, went on rampage, killed at least 5 and wounded 25, then killed himself. His motive? 2012?
In any event, I have read one Native American prophecy a few years back stating "Oh, the suicides!".
So as the date 21/12/2012 approaches, I expect the suicide rate to zoom up as events unfold. Why suicide? Perhaps that suicide ensures one does not have to handle the horror of survival, and horror indeed it will be if one uses a bit of imagination.

mclinking

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mclinking

I am not so sure, though I don't claim to know much about suicides. It is often a very individual thing, and perhaps there has to be an underlying propensity or tendency to be "tipped" that way by circumstances. See survive.org.uk...

As stated before, another reason could be the peer pressure of cults.

And re the UK killings, we may know in due course what motivated them (fatalities now number 12), but somehow I doubt it is 2012.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well knowing that at least one person killed there self when they turned on the LHC I would say there is a good chance of at least a few people offing themselves. Me I would rather see, whatever happens.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Were there mass suicides in 2000, 2003, or 2007? I don't recall anything, but here we go.

2000 - 778 people in Uganda
1997 - 39 in California
1994 - 74 in Canada and Switzerland
1978 - 909 in Guyana
then its into WWII

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

They sound like cult suicides.
As for the uk murders and suicide today, the motive may never be known. Considerations of 2012 may be a factor, but the murders say otherwise. However, in a nutty world, irrationality rules.

mclinking

top topics

<<   2 >>

join