It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious object seen over Virginia Beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hello all! My local news station has ONCE AGAIN reported on UFO sightings around the area. (see my "King's dominion" thread) Anyways, so far the chief meterologist believes the object is a meteor of considerable size...but no offical conclusions have been made. Check it out and tell me what you think

News Story

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Whatever it was, the person who took those pics had a fast camera. Got two shots off before it moved an inch in perspective of the house (lining up with the little smoke stack).

In the first two pics it hardly moves forward at all, but the third one puts it farther.

Weird looking thing.

I've seen a lot of big things fall to earth. Greens ones even.

But that looks like a weird rainbow falling down.

Aww.

Poor rainbow.

Nice post, thanks!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Again I will state I must have an open mind on this, however that being stated I have to agree with the opinion that this is either a meteor or a piece of space junk that entered the atmosphere.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I was thinking the same thing. The rainbow trail barley even moves between pics...It's just too bad his camera wasn't fast enough to capture the object itself!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mitman93

Mitman93.....

Thank you for that interesting article.

Here’s the article including photos embedded for convenient viewing.

I think it was probably a meteorite.

Mysterious object seen over VB

Possible meteor leaves colorful trail

Updated: Tuesday, 25 May 2010, 2:32 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 25 May 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Several residents of Virginia Beach reported seeing a strange object in the sky late Tuesday morning.

One reported the sound similar to a "sonic boom" or the sound of the space shuttle as it lifts into the sky. The object was seen rapidly falling toward the Atlantic Ocean just before noon.

While it's unclear exactly what the object was, WAVY News 10 Meteorologist Jon Cash believes it could have been a "rather large meteor".

"The rainbow colors could have been due to the different temperatures and gases associated with the falling object," said Cash. "We really are not sure at this point."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afe2de07e764.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31ec8d434438.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/99ef5b9bb8e0.jpg[/atsimg]

www.wavy.com...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Every heard of a Pulse Detonation Aircraft.

www.fas.org...

Perhaps it a test gone wrong.

Added: I believe that the photographer may have captured a picture of one of these aircraft during flight. Not just the contrail after it has past by.

Having said that where the hell is the craft itself? Invisible?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Every heard of a Pulse Detonation Aircraft.
www.fas.org...
Perhaps it a test gone wrong.

ALOSTSOUL.....

That's a fascinating technology area.....I've read about that for several years.

I've posted the "famous" "donut contrail" from the article.

I note there are alternative explanations for that donut effect, including wake vortices.

I don't think it resembles the contrail in the article, but then you did say "it might have gone wrong!"

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Added: I believe that the photographer may have captured a picture of one of these aircraft during flight. Not just the contrail after it has past by.

This could also account for the sonic-boom.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

ALOSTSOUL.....

Yes it could!

I believe that the photographer may have captured a picture of one of these aircraft during flight.

Most interesting.....

Can you provide a link for that?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It seems to me that many of these phenomena are merely reactions of water vapor/gases/temperature to a man-made catalyst, some kind of chemical or fuel, or the natural elements reacting with each other. The aurora borealis comes to mind as a naturally-occurring event that appears to be too fantastic to be natural, but is. I think we underestimate the wonder and awe of nature to create incredible, seemingly out-of-this-world phenomena.
I admit I'm no expert, but from what I've read, the rainbow effect could be attributed to the very thing that causes a rainbow - light passing from air to water, or water to air, and refracting colors.
Very cool pictures though.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Can it be some sort of ionospheric plasma that's said to be seen right before an.......earthquake?????

Strange days indeed!!!!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I kind of think some of you are reaching too far on this one. Meteors have been known to give off rainbow trails before.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Flickr Link

This one just happened to be in the daytime. That would account for the sonic boom the article talked about. However, if there's a sonic boom caused by a meteor that means it was in contact with air. That means there should be a meteorite somewhere not far from that area.

Edit: A lot of trouble with the second link

[edit on 25-5-2010 by black cat]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This was the only pic I could find that shows another "Rainbow trail" *kinder*like the other one but they still look nothing alike but the fact that its day in the other picture may account for the differences.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3457688c6ca.jpg[/atsimg]

"The Mojave Desert was a great place to watch the Leonids. We counted up to 60 meteors a minute. A few big ones lit up the sky in rainbow colors."

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Ya know, whenever I go to Virginia Beach, or Carolina Beach, or...anyway, and I've been sittin' in the sand, hot sun blazin' me as the cool waves wah up on my toes, my beach music playin and a few cold adult beverages later... I see stuff like that too.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It could be anything that is capturing the prism of light. A scrape or a smear on a window, catching the sunlight which is not directly in view. If it really is something in the air, then it is well below the albeit, seemingly high cloud cover. The first two pics are practically identical and the third is from a different position and more zoomed in, although the 'objects' position in the sky against the cloud cover barely changes.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I seen the SAME thing 5 years ago in Akron Indiana, it landed in my woods, It only left a little pit in the ground the size of a fox hole, it was quite when it was in the air, it burned out right before it hit the ground, it didnt make a thump when it hit the ground. It WAS a meteorite and I have the rock ta prove it!!!
Its long, grayish-black, very pitted with glass looking stuff in the holes, and the rock is the size of my hand. I cant find what kind of meteorite it is ANYWHERE on the internet.

top topics

join