It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

warning this can offend law abiding citizens - Which I'm not one of.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
So nice of you to ask me that.

No, I am not "spreading my belief or dogma" in the spiritual sense. What I believe is mine alone, and unless I am asked, I do not go around asking others to believe or worship as I do.

To ask someone to "Pray in the name of Jesus" is doing just that.

To me it is wrong.

I do not base my belief or my personal dogma on the laws of this country, and as a matter of fact there are many that I disagree with, but on this particular issue I have to agree with the Supreme Court.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by Destiny Of Souls
I would of laughed the whole time, then booed as loud as I could when people started to bow their heads.

I would of loved for her to try that at my HS. She would of been laughed out of the announcer's booth.

I gave you a star out of sheer sarcasm. You need attention so you'll get it.

Enjoy yourself, playskool.

Lol U Mad kid?

Must be your insecurity on how your post gets no stars, while mine gets some. Nice try, though.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This is a great story to hear!
I for one am a Christian, and this principal felt like shoving the crud back in other direction for a change,,
I love it!! Kudos to them.. And the entire participating student body loved it too!!!!! They were willing listeners and so were not "forced" like one poster whined about
Athiests go cry in your corner now..whaaaahaaaaaa!

Athiets is a totally fake concept for the ones that come in here and show they are actually against anything Godly or Christian.. That isn't the disbelief in something, it is being against the believers.. If they truly didn't believe then they wouldn't give a rat's behind when someone says something..

[edit on 25-5-2010 by alienreality]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'd like to take this moment and wish the blessings of the flying spaghetti monster upon you all.

May you all be touched by his noodly appendage.

madeinhead.org...

America.... what a country!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

Originally posted by TruthWizard
I think it is ridiculous to not allow people to pray at high school/local events,

Here's a tip:

Not everyone follows your God. Not everyone worships your God. God is an ancient, mythological character made up for a certain group to Worship. There have been numerous Gods throughout history.

Keep it away from events and sport events that bring a variety of individuals who may share different religious views.

I take it you didn't read the rest of my post.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Was he bothered by the law telling him he can say a prayer because the prayer was to be used to ask god for his team to win the game?

I do find it interesting where folks feel the need to insert some form of ritual, usually religious, in order to ease them in some way. There could easily be a sign, anywhere you want, that says "upon entering, think about taking a moment to connect with whatever you feel is a higher order - or not" and no fighting. The fighting comes when the demand is that it must be done xyz, or it "just ain't right."

Why do we feel the need to salute the flag before a professional sports entertainment event, but not before a movie, which is the same thing - they are both entertainment and have nothing to do with country stuff? Why pray before a HS football game, but not before taking a test? Our addiction to ritual and tradition is such a limitation.

I actually like the fact that people fight and kill over such things.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh
So nice of you to ask me that.

No, I am not "spreading my belief or dogma" in the spiritual sense. What I believe is mine alone, and unless I am asked, I do not go around asking others to believe or worship as I do.

To ask someone to "Pray in the name of Jesus" is doing just that.

To me it is wrong.

I do not base my belief or my personal dogma on the laws of this country, and as a matter of fact there are many that I disagree with, but on this particular issue I have to agree with the Supreme Court.

This is what you said :

As far as I am concerned, your religion, your belief, your dogma is just that...YOURS. It does not belong in a public forum... period

Firstly, why are you so offended by people spreading any of their beliefs in the "spiritual" sense more than you are by yourself spreading your own personal dogma, through that particular quote, on this public forum? What is it that you hold so much more sacred spiritually that you cannot respect what the principal's spirituality in the speech and everyone else's spirituality at the event by participating in prayer?

And, for you JohnnyElohim, if we are not going to believe a certain part of the article, such as the statement that everyone else joined eachother in prayer, then why should we believe ANY of it? What's the argument for?

Isn't that the argument people use to discount the Bible?

The only thing I am trying to get through to y'all is that YOU are the ones trying to silence people and yet you will be the same people to cry that you can't have your free speech and your own ways without self-proclaimed christians always ragging on you!

Do you wish to stoop down to the level of the people you detest so much?

How ironic!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Good job. No reason you can't suggest a minute of silence to be applied as the audience sees fit. Could be for resting the mind, silent prayer, etc.. There's always a way around the fraudulent system. What they look for is the overt offender that gives them a simple minded clear cut issue to pursue. But a little subtly is hard for them to make a rational case against.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Could you describe the exact injury to you which occurs when you inadvertently hear a prayer? In detail?

I hate, and I mean hate Pop Music and Bubblegum Music. If I walk into a Cafe and they have some playing on the speakers, I don't throw a fit; I don't demand they turn it off; I don't act like a child. Why? Because that would make me an intolerant jerk because the music does me no harm and others in their enjoy it. It does me no harm for it to play while I'm there.

Same thing exactly.

I can answer this quite simply because it is not remotely the same thing but I would hate to just jump in.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
As an athiest, I'd like to say that this guy has my full support. I believe he and everyone else has the right to pray whenever and wherever he likes. I assume he respects my right not to pray, and we can get along just fine.

Over the past two years, I've had the misfortune of having to attend too many funerals. Down side of getting old, I guess. All of the funerals were Christian. As a former Christian, I respect thier beliefs enough to bow my head and remain silent during their prayers. On more than one occasion, I've resisted the temptation to bust out laughing at something the preacher said. Fact is, some of the greatest human beings I've had the priviledge to meet were Christians. I've also met some who were pure hypocrites.

If you truly believe in Christ, you know you can pray, and should pray, more often than you do. You've got nothing to lose. As long as you respect the rights of others to find their own path in life, you're OK in my book. That goes for all belief systems.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This principal obviously took advantage of his captive audience. I find it appaling that a person of "higher education" in a role such as his would say such things over a PA system. His speech seems right on target with the mindset of others like him "Believe what I say and believe or I will hurt you in some capacity". This is the true face of ignorance.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by anonomyus]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I don't care if the principal was quite blatently calling homosexuality a dirty perversion and ticking off every other sterotype of a fundamentalist christian. I admire the snarky letter-of-the-law response to micro management from above.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by nunya13
Since when did school football games become an acceptable event for political soap box speeches?

Since when did classrooms become acceptable forums for political soap box speeches? Yet it happens all over the country in middle schools, high schools, colleges. Oh, did you forget about those?

There is no Constitutional limit on political speech and endorsement. There is a limit on religious endorsement by the government. That's the difference.

You mean like the "In God We Trust" on all the currency and the "So help me God" with the hand on the Bible during trials?

Your response could be a good seque into the teaching of creationism vs. evolution argument, but I'll leave it alone.

I think the problem is that the government has its tentacles way too far into the educational system, like it has with everything else. It has become less 'separation of church and state' and more 'get rid of all religious references from society'... and I don't like it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ehh the snopes page is dated October 2000 on the snopes website, I think I remember the chain email from back then.

Any ways why get so huffy over old news ppl? It's ancient history.

As a Christian (I hate to use that term because its just generic these days) myself I do not support teachers or faculty endorsed praying simply because they may have doctrinal differences other than my own. I would not want them teaching my child these things even if it is through a simple prayer. Children are very impressionable.

I have bowed my head during prayers that I did not agree with simply because I felt uncomfortable not to. I could almost be certain that a few at the game were compelled to do so as well.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
All I can say is: Bravo!

Glad someone dares to speak up, even if that means they could possibly be losing their job over it.

Two thumbs up from me.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
This is a great story to hear!
I for one am a Christian, and this principal felt like shoving the crud back in other direction for a change,,
I love it!! Kudos to them.. And the entire participating student body loved it too!!!!! They were willing listeners and so were not "forced" like one poster whined about
Athiests go cry in your corner now..whaaaahaaaaaa!

Do you really believe the only choices are Christianity or Atheism? You do realize that here in America, there are many different faiths, don't you? Would you be as supportive had it been a Muslim prayer to Allah instead? How about a Wiccan chant? Would you have supported them as well since they are also opposed to Atheism? Do you think that only Christians and Atheists exist in American schools?

Athiets is a totally fake concept for the ones that come in here and show they are actually against anything Godly or Christian.. That isn't the disbelief in something, it is being against the believers.. If they truly didn't believe then they wouldn't give a rat's behind when someone says something..

Well yes, "Athiets" is a totally fake concept.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by alienreality]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Let me just ask you this:

If this Principal had asked to pray in the name of (insert deity of choice here), and it wasn't "GOD" or "Jesus" would YOU have been offended?

What I hold spiritually sacred is that I respect people, their beliefs, and their opinion, despite the fact that I may not agree with them.

Had the principal stopped at

"Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, I am told that saying a Prayer is a violation of Federal Case Law"

and then continued with

"For this reason, I shall "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's," and refrain from praying at this time.

" However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and to Bless this event, please feel free to do so.. As far as I know, that's not against the law----yet."

I would have had no problem with it.

As a matter of fact, if the above were the case, and had I been there, I would also have bowed my head, out of respect for those that chose to pray. However, it was not and because the principal took it as far as they did, I find it offensive.

The fact of the matter is that the principal didn't and stated, quite clearly a number of religious beliefs.

That is what I have a problem with.

What the principal DID say is nothing more than shoving your beliefs down my throat and attempting to "guilt" me into assimilation.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by fworkman
reply to post by Anti-Evil

I think this is wonderful. I can only imagine what it must have looked like with everyone praying. I am sure that the majority bowed their heads to God Almighty. Notice I typed majority? Thats right... Majority.

A few folks might be offended. Why should we change laws to appease the few but very vocal?

Really?? So just because something is popular makes it right or without question? Um Hitler was rather popular and let's see..... Nero and Bart Simpson..... Oh and the Fox network doesn't seem to have a problem with Peter Griffin, he's popular. I hope you can see what I am getting at. Popularity doesn't make something right...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

If You truly believe what you believe, then you would not take anything that was said that was against your beliefs personally.

IF you felt guilt, it was because you knew you were wrong.

So you are basically saying that you would have prayed along with everyone else out of respect as long as they didn't call you out on something that you believed was wrong about yourself.

And if the principal had asked for me to pray in the name of his/her favorite pagan deity, I just simply wouldn't do it and be on my way.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
HELL YHEA!

Good for you OP!
I'm neither "Homo" or "Religious."

But I like they way you have demonstrated the trend away from wholesome family value institutions in todays society!

I can imagine having to stand up to recite a diversity chant in the future praising the virtues of gays, tacos, welfare dependent single mothers and gangsta rap before commencement of any sporting event!

Why don't we just completely abandon everything in America that has made this nation great, and embrace a whole new way of doing things!

Lets go on the offensive against prayer everywhere! As this is undoubtedly the most pressing issue facing us today...

Next we can start to dissolve complete family's, sending the Father to homosexual sensitivity classes and get the mother signed up for food stamps and send the kids off to learn about what horrible people the founding fathers of the United States were!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Niccawhois]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join