It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal immigration, shouldn’t we be flattered?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

With all of the talk on ATS about illegal immigration and the AZ immigration bill I thought I would bring some sanity back into the conversation.

Good luck with that.

Anytime an illegal immigration thread comes up...it just proves that ATS is FILLED with ignorance...it's not denied here...it is embraced.

You get a bunch of elitists d-bags on here claiming they are somehow better than "illegals". You have people on here crying because they can't find a job because the "illegals" took all of them. You know what...they have a job because they are working hard to provide for their family...you could do the same if you got off your but and did ANY work you can find. I've said it before, I'll say it again...I have more respect for "illegals" that have risked their life to provide a better life for their family than any "american" sitting on ATS all day crying about how they can't find a job.

Get this through your thick skulls...we are all human...you are not better than anyone else because you were born on one side of an imaginary line than someone else. You talk about "entitlement"...I think you need to be pointing that finger back to yourself because some of you seem to think that because you were born in a certain geographical area that you are ENTITLED to a better life than someone else....no....doesn't work like that...you need to WORK for it. And like it or not "illegals" are out there WORKING harder than you are...so if anything they deserve to be here more than most of you crying about how they are taking all the jobs.

OP...you have a good heart and good intentions...but this topic will never have a chance of being "sane"...not when SOME Americans feel like they are better than everyone else.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
As a non-douchy and non-elitist American citizen I want to chime in for a moment and say that I have absolutely no problem at all with immigrants. In fact I'm the grandson of an Irish immigrant ( They didn't have a very nice time when they got here either ) but I do have an issue with illegal immigration.

I think of it this way - put simply - when I'm in my own home I go to great lengths to care for it and to make sure it's in great shape. But I've had parties where some of the invitees didn't share my regard for my home and either stole or vandalized things. With illegal immigration there is the same risk to reward ratio... Many are here behaving respectfully but there are others who don't care at all for this nation and don't respect or adhere to the laws and standards which govern us all.

We can paint this issue in many different ways but one of the things I tend to realize is that I cannot think of any other county that an American could sneak into and be left alone if they were discovered to be there illegally. Most would quickly incarcerate any non-citizen they caught. Some countries will kill over it.

It's not asking too much that people follow the legal channels and procedures to come here. If they feel that America is too closed then there are venues to pursue that complaint in and ways to seek to change the laws. Ignoring them isn't an acceptable alternative.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I think of it this way - put simply - when I'm in my own home I go to great lengths to care for it and to make sure it's in great shape. But I've had parties where some of the invitees didn't share my regard for my home and either stole or vandalized things. With illegal immigration there is the same risk to reward ratio... Many are here behaving respectfully but there are others who don't care at all for this nation and don't respect or adhere to the laws and standards which govern us all.

This is not unique to "illegals". There are plenty of born and raised "Americans" that disrespect this country, the laws, and the standards. Like all groups of humans...doesn't matter if we are talking "illegals", "Americans", or any other group....you have your good and your bad. But you don't paint the whole group the same color based on only the bad that you see.

We can paint this issue in many different ways but one of the things I tend to realize is that I cannot think of any other county that an American could sneak into and be left alone if they were discovered to be there illegally. Most would quickly incarcerate any non-citizen they caught. Some countries will kill over it.

And what was America built on...to follow what other countries are doing or to be a leader in the world as an example for all other countries? I hear this argument all the time...and I find that it is an argument of convenience and not one of conviction. You will find no other topic where the same people are saying "Look at Mexico's immigration laws" saying that we should follow any other countries policy on anything else.

What happened to the land of opportunity? You know have to pay thousands of dollars to get that opportunity? You used to only have the have the desire to work hard and want a better life (which is exactly what "illegals" are doing). How many Americans do you think have the extra money laying around that could cover the fees and legal costs it takes to become a "legal" immigrant??? I would guess not many...but we somehow expect people who are poor enough that the are willing to risk their lives crossing a desert to maybe find a job that pays next to nothing to have this money to come here legal?

What happened to this:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Does this now come with a cover charge? Sure...give me your poor and homeless...as long as they have thousands of dollars to pay the admission fee. Why do we think that is ok? The only reason is because America has become a country of elitists that think they are better than others by default. And that if you want to be part of this club...you already have to be rich to cover the admission...than you are allowed to come in.

You may not think you are an elitist...but I would disagree.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I wasn't aware that the naturalization process involved "thousands of dollars" for an "admissions fee".

Nor does it refute my point by simply stating that there aren't threads which cover Mexican immigration law.

Comparing immigration from 250 years ago to what exists now is not equitable. There is a slight difference between spending months in a small boat to get to a fledgling and unproven country and the idea of spending a few hours driving across a border.

Again, I have no issue with immigration. America is a melting pot and that is a good thing. But there are proper ways of going about it.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisoirIllegal immigration, shouldn’t we be flattered?

Imagine you come home from a hard day's work one evening and find a bunch of strangers have broken into your home and are busy eating your food, using your electricity, taking your medicine, wearing your clothes, and so on. You call the police and their only response is to call you a "racist," even if you are of the same race as your "honored guests." In fact, the chief of police threatens to sue you if you resist.

Shouldn't you be flattered?

[edit on 6/23/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I'm not flattered that some of my friends in AZ, can't get extra work with a summer job. I am not not flattered.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join