It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catherine Ariemma, Georgia high school teacher, in hot water after students wear KKK robes in school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Catherine Ariemma, Georgia high school teacher, in hot water after students wear KKK robes in school

www.nydailynews.com

A Georgia history teacher could be fired after allowing four students to wear mock Ku Klux Klan attire for their final project.

Ariemma's students watch films pertaining to U.S. history and at the end of the year choose a theme on which they base their own final projects. Her class chose to take on racism and its roots this year

Ariemma said that while she felt the students were addressing an important issue in American history, she told The AP that it "was poor judgment on my part in allowing them to film at school. … That was a hard lesson learned."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Man does life suck! A history teacher can't even allow the re-enactment of..... well history!
And that's not all, look at the comments posted on that page regarding the article.

Look at this one:

This dumb teacher sure has a long neck in that photo. Maybe a nice noose around her neck and a mock lynching using her could knock some sense into her.

WOW, others are saying send her to Nazi Germany some are being really nasty.

Where are people's brains?

KKK is a horrible part of history, but it's still history.
And if we don't remember history we are doomed to repeat it.

It's fascinating to see how neanderthal-like some people can be.

Ever feel like you are in the twilight zone and everyone around you are insane?

I liked this comment

How will students learn about history,if PC Liberal stormtroopers are deciding what history is appropriate ?

So true!

This is kind of irritating to see.

Thoughts ATS?

www.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Announcement: We are now going to substitute your actual history with a more political correct version. We feel that certain acts committed in the past weren't so serious that they can be modified a just a tad to appeal to more people. After all if no one remembers what happened than it didn't really happen.

On a serious note in my opinion yes history should be portrayed in all its ugliness and in all its glory. We have enough watering and down and diluting in the media lets not tarnish history as well.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well, if anything..the teacher should have told the student what she was doing to let them know beforehand.

But..i don't care. If they have a "reason" to be dressed up like that..like for their history project..why not? Education is about..education right?

So why sensitize it. It was done...learn from it.

How has the German curriculum deal with BOTH ww1 and ww2? Grievous errors in judgment or..necessary actions taken during desperate times? How many Jews live in Germany now?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
History is constantly rewritten to suit the moment.

The USA, has a black president, is elbow deep in middle eastern blood and facing serious internal issues with Arizona over laws that quite frankly look racist.

So, history is obscured.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It is true that even though the KKK are part of our History. The KKK, which essentially is a domestic terrorist organization, still remain in existence , especially in the Southern United States.

Wearing KKK garb around a school, in Georgia, in public wasn't part of , or had any relevance to the assignment authorized by the teacher.

The assignment and costumes should have remained within her jurisdiction, spelled her classroom, Only.

If people paraded around the same school in Al Qaeda garb, with messages to Kill All Americans, carrying IED's, people would be up in arms as well.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Wait, I thought people were all about pushing racism into the heads of school kids? Everything is racist, right? Don't like the renewal of the PA you're racist. Rand Paul doesnt think the government should mandate the hiring practices of private business so he's racist. We're beat over the head with how "racist" everything is and it's considered a "good" beating because we must learn from it and our vote must be decided by it.

A bunch of kids talking about history dress the part they are to present and their teacher is fired? Is it because they were talking about real bigotry and hatred as opposed to this modern opportune and manufactured bigotry?

I wonder if the kids were doing a school civics program and putting on an "attack ad" to their election competitor the teacher would have had come to the same end.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well this was an AP History class, and I for one can tell you that at the boarding school I went to, where anything less than a perfect 5 got you kicked out of the AP Program, we certainly did not dress up in costumes or make videos. I"m not trying to be smug but I will say that such an assignment does not really seem relevant to an AP or IB curriculum and sounds more like an end of year "fun" project post-exam.

It says there was over 70 African American students in the high school. I'm as WASP-y as they come but I swear if I saw a bunch of students dressed in KKK garb in my cafeteria I would seriously question the intent of such an exercise. Such as many teachers did as well.

Its not illegal, but simply in incredibly poor taste. For a public school teacher attempting such dribble I do think she understands the mistake she has made and no further punishment toward her is needed.

For those who claim that the liberal elite are trying to "deny" history well no my friends, I can assure you in no way would the KKK be considered not a part of history.....however as the poster above so eloquently mentioned its still really not the time to be parading around as the S.S or Islamic terrorists in a school setting.

Do you remember Prince Harry in a Nazi costume? Would you not say that was poor taste?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Of course if they had dressed like Malcolm X - a self avowed fan of racial segregation and open proponent of anti-white beliefs, they would have won a scholarship.

My local post office has a photo of that guy on the wall, to whites it's the equivalent of putting a portrait of the Klan's Grand Wizard up there, but most of us are too stupid to understand the significance.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Dear Sir-
Hanging a picture of the grand wizard in a public venue is not the same as hanging a picture of malcolm x in the same public venue. that is a completely ignorant comment, the KKK though not starting as a violent or racist movement has developed into a violent and racist movement, Malcolm X never once stood for or tolerated any form of violence between races, Malcolm X def had very many pro african american ideals but he was far from promoting anything anti-white, as a white american myself i am ashamed that some of my caucasion ancestors acted in closed minded bigotry and astill does to this day, please get your facts straight before you post something idiotic on this forum like you above statement.

new topics

top topics

join