It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department Closely Watching BP's Handling of Gulf Oil Spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Justice Department Closely Watching BP's Handling of Gulf Oil Spill

abcnews.go.com

ABC News has learned that the Justice Department has quietly asked BP and Transocean to preserve all documents related to the oil spill and ensuing disaster in the Gulf of Mexico -- a sign that legal action against the companies may be in the future.

If the government decides to pursue a civil or criminal investigation targeting the companies, these documents could be critical.

The documents could shed light on some crucial questions:

Did the companies comply with all existing federal drilling regulations required under law?

Did the companies comply with all existing federal saf
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Well the fed is sure looking at BP for this one. This is really good news IMO. Well going to go after BP sometimes in the future..... Whenever that is...

Sources say the federal government's priority continues to be on helping BP to stop the spill and continue cleanup. That is part of the reason for the relatively low Justice Department profile. But the stage is being set for more action by federal prosecutors and litigators.

Right now they are "working with them" to clean up the spill. I know it's off topic, but when I heard about this was on radio news and apparently BP was also asked to drastically decrease the use of Dispersants.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Funny that you posted this because I was thinking this morning that the DOJ should be getting invovled any moment now. I am pretty sure someone is going to try to make BP hurt for this one. Maybe recoup some money to give to the affected states.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Sounds like the government's breakup letter to BP.

Dear BP,

We love you, we always have and always will but we have a problem. People are starting to talk about how poorly you're handling some things in your life and I'm getting asked some tough questions. Some people are saying that we shouldn't see each other anymore, so in the wake of increased peer pressure I'm giving you an ultimatum. You need to fix the problem we all know you have, I can't pretend not to see it anymore and I can't keep telling people you're working on it; I have a reputation to consider. If you don't fix the problem I have to break up with you, and that will be a very messy very public affair. But don't worry, I'll still see you on the side.

Love Always,
The United States Government

[edit on 25-5-2010 by dontblink]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It really was inevitable. I'm sure these people can brush a lot of things under the carpet but this is not one of them. I hope BP pays dearly and from the looks of things this is not the first time the DOJ has looked in their direction.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
"We're from the government, we're here to help"

Well it's about freakin' time!

How long did it take to finally do something about it and get involved, all while Obama continues to talk basketball.

I bring that up today because, as you have probably heard, President Obama has decided that he wants to just keep on weighing in on LeBron James. He and his senior advisor David Axelrod decided that one day was plenty of time to wait after the Cavaliers lost in the playoffs to the suddenly invincible Boston Celtics. "[President Obama] doesn't want to tamper," Axelrod told ESPN. "But as a Chicago fan, the president thinks LeBron would look great in a Bulls uniform."

President Obama said LeBron James would be a good fit in Chicago

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I agree, it's really amazing how little Obama seems to care about well.... anything. Take the flooding on the east coast. Any relief for them? Nope, too busy giving money to Haiti. I have a feeling that even though the DOJ is getting into this Obama still doesn't give a fart in space.

He is too busy building schools in Kenya, giving money to Haiti and bankrupting the nation..

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

All can picture in my mind is Obama getting pics with his little basketball friends, while in the background, a giant tidal wave of oil is heading for them....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Sources say the federal government's priority continues to be on helping BP to stop the spill and continue cleanup. That is part of the reason for the relatively low Justice Department profile. But the stage is being set for more action by federal prosecutors and litigators.

Oh really? How exactly are they "helping"?

Keeping the people in check.

Making BP the only source of information?

... maybe by NOT issuing injunctions against all their other operation until this one is resolved?

This is more canned news to convince us that something is actually happening at the site, rather than the more likely reality that they are all standing around wringing their hands wondering if the next low-end "on the cheap" long-shot will stop the increasingly dangerous situation from costing them more money.

If this new piece was the result of journalism, don;t you suppose the reporter would have asked... "What exactly does "helping" MEAN?"

top topics

join