It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Sheriff Wants Apology From Mexico for Its Threatening Tourism Ad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Article

Not really sure what forum to put this in, so feel free to move it where needed.

An Arizona sheriff is calling on Mexican officials to apologize for what he says is a "threatening" advertisement. The ad shows a man wearing camouflage looking through binoculars with the words: "In Sonora we are looking for people from Arizona."

I want everybody to call the Tourism Board," Arpaio said. "To me, it's a threatening type of advertisement."

"We want to be very aggressive in our push, but we're not trying to scare anybody," he told FoxNews.com. "We're looking for the opposite -- we want everyone to feel very welcome here in Sonora."

I was watching the news just a few minutes ago, and they brought this up with an interview with Arpaio. The picture is on the article, which shows a guy in camo with binoculars, and has the wording "In Sonora we are looking for people from Arizona." Another one was released that also said, with the same as above, "Who want to have a good time."

Personally, I think the picture is a bit threatening. If this was released a few years ago, I wouldnt of thought much of it, but now really isnt the best time to release something like this.

On the news I was watching, a co-host talked about how people in Mexico were dressing up as fake police,setting up roadblocks, and id'ing people to see if they're from Arizona. Im not sure what they would do if they found anyone from Arizona, but I could guess. Im trying to find an article that talks about that, and Ill post it as soon as I find it.

Do yall think the Ad is threatening?

EDIT- Heres the link to the fake police setting up roadblocks - US Consualte Warns of "Fake" Checkpoints in Mexico

Edit # 2 - Heres the picture of the ad.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/531385972f49.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by buni11687]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by buni11687]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Whenever there is push...there will be pushback.

Don't be so surprised...Az passed a racist law...and this is the pushback.

I don't condone either sides actions...there are better ways of dealing with it...but it doesn't suprise me one bit.

ETA: Can't pass up an opportunity though to show some of the racist comments being left in the article...you know...to show those that say "this isn't about race" that they are ignoring the fact that it is for some people

Mexicans are scum. That is why the liberal demoKrauts and Barry Husse!n like them so much

muslims and mexicnas hate whitey and want them dead

NUKE MEXICO CITY!

Ahhhhh Mexico. Shove it up your frei-holie. Keep your stinking wetbacks on your side of the border

Mexico is full of scum. They prove this at every turn. I hate Mexico and everyone that's in it. And no, it's not because of the skin color. I hate broccoli too, but not because it's green. Send the scum back home, and keep them there.

No more border crossing and more relations with your sisters!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I don't condone either sides actions...there are better ways of dealing with it...but it doesn't suprise me one bit.

There is nothing about the law that is racist.

Support with the actual text in writing. Don't claim what doesn't exist. This site is for denying ignorance, not promoting it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Personally, I dont believe the law is racist. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion tho.

From what Ive seen, the AZ law mirrors the federal one already in place.

The law is the law here in the US, but printing a "tourism ad" with a military/camo guy with the wording it has on it, that kind of looks like a actual threat to people.

Plus with the phony roadblocks/phony police in Mexico lately, I can see how some people in Mexico will physically harm American's down there.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I hope this causes all Americans to STOP going to Mexico and spending our money there.

Let's see how well their already craphole of a country does when they get no more "Gringo" money.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I'm curious on what makes you think Arizona's law is racist?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

It is my opinion that it is a racist law. I'm certainly not alone.

How many white people do you think will be asked to prove thier legal status or citizenship? How many black people?

The law even states they can bring them to border patrol...do you think they are targeting illegal Europeans and bringing them to BORDER patrol?

I've heard the excuse of "well most illegals are hispanics so they should target them"...which just shows that even some people that support it know in fact it will target hispanics...and they are ok with that.

American citizens will be asked to prove they are citizens...soley based off the color of their skin.

Could you tell me what your opinion is on it...do you think more hispanics will be questioned than anyone else? Or do you think there will be no profiling at all?

IF there is NO profiling...then 58% of the people asked to prove thier citizenship/legal status should be non-hispanic whites because that is the percenatage of non-hispanic whites in Arizona ( SOURCE ).

Do you honestly think that 58% of the people they question under this law are going to be non-hispanic whites?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Just some examples of officials who have read the Law and their criticisim after reading the law.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

its not a racist law...quit playing the race card.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

its not a racist law...quit playing the race card.

Pointing out racist comments left in the comments section of the article is not playing the race card.

You can choose to ignore facts if you want to...but that isn't how I live my life.

Is this your entire argument though? Nothing else to add? What do you think of those comments left on the article???

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This AD appears to be retribution for the AZ law that targets Illegal Mexicans "visiting" Arizona.

I too feel that the AZ law is RACIST in that if a person doesn't look like a Mexican "Illegal" then they won't be questioned for their citizenry.

If they are going to check for people's Identification, to verify as to if they are citizens or not, and to do it fairly, then they should check everyone's regardless of one's ethnicity.

Plain and Simple.

'Nuff Said.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Pointing out racist comments left in the comments section of the article is not playing the race card.

How are racist comments from an article change the actual TEXT & context of the Arizona Bill that you always lable racist?

Misdirections don't work and ignorance should be denied. Out of every illegal thread you brought the race bait in, only 1 or 2 fell for your race baiting. Not everyone thinks in black/white/brown.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Az passed a racist law

Now, this may sound redundant, but since when is keeping un-registered illegal aliens out of the state racist? And who could it possibly be racist against? I'm sure there would be an equal reaction to illegals from overseas, or any other country. Just because we boarder with Mexico, and they are the main people flooding over our boarders, does that mean outlawing illegal immigration is racist against Mexicans?

This whole issue is dumb. If you cant qualify as a legitimate citizen, what rights do you have within the given country? Isn't this why Mexicans are forces to sneak over the boarder in the first place? because its illegal? Are all Mexicans so stupid that they think it is their god given right to illegally enter the united states? If you want to be an American, become a citizen. If not, piss off!

This whole thing is ridiculous. We may have been a nation founded on immigration, but we are now an established continent with an established populace. Its not the 1700's any more. Past immigrants are now modern Americans, and current Mexicans are certainly not future Americans. Or at least, i hope not.

There is not enough room/resources to be taken advantage of by unregistered citizens. I cant imagine an rebutting argument making any sense in this day and age.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

How are racist comments from an article change the actual TEXT & context of the Arizona Bill that you always lable racist?

How about you respond to my post that actually outlines why I think the AZ law is racists and answer the questions I ask in there.

I'm interested to see if you think 58% of the people questioned under this new law will be non-hispanic whites.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

I too feel that the AZ law is RACIST in that if a person doesn't look like a Mexican "Illegal" then they won't be questioned for their citizenry.

Well we sure are lucky that the Judicial system does not follow their feeling but enforces laws based on context.

No where has the bill mentioned anything about "Looks", this argument is blatantly false and if you read the bill then you are being ignorant to the laws in their textual reference.

You are entitled to your opinion and feelings, but blatant misrepresentations will be called out.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have a lot of friends in AZ, that are of hispanic descent, who go home to visit relatives a few times a year.

My friends are legal residents of the US, and in AZ.

Makes me wonder how they feel about how they feel about going to visit relatives in Mexico, and if they will stop doing it.

Long before all this crappola, I know a few of them were afraid about being let back into the US, from the Mexico side.

It looks to me like a few legals will be less inclined to give their dollars back to Mexico.

Ridiculous!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Heres the ad picture.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/531385972f49.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

How about you respond to my post that actually outlines why I think the AZ law is racists and answer the questions I ask in there.

How about you answer my question in the post after yours with the [Size=4] TEXT that states the Law is will be enforced based on how a person [Size=4] LOOKS ?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

The problem is not enforcing the laws...the problem with this law is giving local LEOs in AZ the power to legally discriminate and racially profile. In fact...the law says that if they don't (or if AZ citizens THINK they aren't enforcing the law...i.e. questioning enough hispanics)...citizens can bring lawsuits against them. So they are in a sense being required to profile.

There is already a federal agency enforcing the laws. No one is denying that ICE does in fact enforce the laws...the deport people all the time. It is hard work and it is very sensative work because you don't want to accidentally deport an American citizen.

Some people don't think they are doing a good enough job...because they just want them to "round up the illegals" and deport them...well it doesn't work like that. Because contrary to what some people believe...you can't tell someone is illegal just by looking at them.

I'll ask you the same question I'm asking others in this thread...do you think under the new AZ law that 58% of the people asked to prove they are a citizen or a legal immigrant will be non-hispanic whites? That is the percentage non-hispanic whites make up in AZ...so if there is going to be no racial profiling going on...then 58% of those asked to prove they are "legal" will be non-hispanic whites. Do you honestly think that is what is going to happen?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

How about you answer my question in the post after yours with the [Size=4] TEXT that states the Law is will be enforced based on how a person [Size=4] LOOKS ?

So I'll take that as a "no" that you are not going to respond...right?

I clearly laid out how I think the law will be used to be discriminatory and profiling.

I never said it is spelled out in the law...but the law is poorly written and it gives local cops the power to legally racially profile and the potential for harrasement of a subsection of American citizens.

So do you think 58% of the people asked to prove their legal status under this new law will be non-hispanic whites?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join