It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pushy fliers may show up on TSA's radar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Pushy fliers may show up on TSA's radar

www.usatoday.com

WASHINGTON — Airline passengers who get frustrated and kick a wall, throw a suitcase or make a pithy comment to a screener could find themselves in a little-known Homeland Security database
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

A TSA report says the database can include names, birth dates, Social Security numbers, home addresses and phone numbers of people involved in airport incidents, including aggressors, victims and witnesses.

Incidents in the database include threats, bullying or verbal abuse, remarks about death or violence, brandishing a real or fake weapon, intentionally scaring workers or excessive displays of anger such as punching a wall or kicking equipment, the report says.

Looks like TSA is going to be playing the role of Big Brother at the airports.

If you are mad or angry about something regarding the inspection or just having a bad day, TSA can now put you on a special watch list. It seems as though they do not like being told how to do their job after all most of the screeners attended the finest education institutions and the finest manner schools.

I have gotten mad myself a few times because I was running late for my flight. I have seen some passengers who are the Type A personality sound off on everyone & everything around them. I have seen kids being kids and the TSA agent telling the parents they are bad parents if they do not know how to control their child.

I have seen many bad episodes of TSA misconduct where some felt it necessary to yell at individuals who don't understand english well and end up creating scene to bring security. Episodes where a TSA agents jokes about how a individuals body odor is while they are checking their ticket information.

I have seen my share of rude TSA screeners and many rude passengers. But it now seems that TSA has full authority to sign you up if they disagree with your behavior in anyway. And once you are signed up for this list, you may never come out of the system.

How many of you have had problems with the TSA personnel?

Do you agree with the implementation of this system?

I have had many good experiences & some some bad ones. I do no agree with this watch list, these are not terrorists that are being put on the list.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Do you agree with the implementation of this system?

No I do not. This amounts to putting 'rude or frustrated customers' onto a watch list.

Being a jerk or having a bad day in and of itself is not a terrorist threat.

Flying is miserable these days.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Flying is miserable these days.

Flying is very hectic these days, I am in total agreement. First I try finding the lowest fares and then I have to think about packing only what I really need as the bag fees are outrageous. One is already riding a emotinal roller coaster before arriving at the terminal, behavior exhibiting anger might randomly occur.

A watch list for fliers who are not terrorists is ludicrous. These passengers are not a risk to anyone.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I read the article this morning with some interest, as well.

Seems the USAToday reporter did a scatter-shot job on the piece. What I mean is, they equated such behavior as expressing frustrations, or angry emotions (kicking, shouting) in the same level as brandishing a weapon (real or otherwise)!

Two very, very different animals! With very different levels of response and attention required.

However, this appears to be an overall response, from the Government's POV, to examples of physical abuse and threats to its personnel. (I'm reminded of the incident of employee-on-employee abuse, just weeks ago...the teasing about a fellow TSA screener's ... erm....'junk' size, after he was scanned in the new body scanner....)

I agree, people being people, that TSA workers can ALSO be guilty...in such cases, I suggest reporting them and their behavior. BUT, stay calm, cool and collected.

Always good advice...plan ahead. You can't beat 'em, can't outsmart 'em, but by being ready can make it easier on yourself. Prepare your carry-ons properly, make it easier on yourself. Clothing should be considered too, to keep it simple...I admit, most of my encounters were as a working crewmember, and I could get hot at times, because we don't get any 'lighter' or 'special' treatment, usually.

I was so amused, once in Phoenix, to see this F/A (from another airline) conduct this elaborate ritual --- bracelets, necklaces, metal hairpins, shoes...wow!! I thought to myself (as I waited impatiently behind her)...

"Ever heard of 'dressing down', leaving some of that junk at home? Or, putting in your bag, until past Security? And, plastic hairpins?"

But, that's the practical, in me....

[edit on 25 May 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Post 9/11 people have already changed their habits immensly. Add to that the outrageous behavior of the airlines milking you for every dime. When you go the Terminal, you had paid your end of the contract and as a customer should be treated with respect.

The idea of such a database being present alone should be a flag. TSA should not have the authority to deem people in such a way. This list will lead to abuse, as TSA has shown many times how some of their employees are prone their own powers.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Yeah, I should have made it clear...don't be a victim of their abuse, as some of them can exhibit a "Little Hitler" mentality.

Know your rights, but don't exascerbate things, and you'll be allright.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Lets take for example someone who knows their rights. This person can be labled by any of the TSA agents as nuisance for merely standing up for their rights. It would just take a few simple keystrokes to permanently label that person something she is not.

There was a TSA agent who was fliriting with a passenger waiting to be screened. She felt uncomfortable and wanted to be able to proceed to screening, he would not let her until she provided her telephone contact info. She provided false info and later divulged the story to a news agency. She could have stated her complaint at that time, but maybe she was in a rush and did not care to pursue the matter at that time.

TSA already has high abuse potential, now with this watch list people should be furious they are even allowed this. Fake hand guns or brandishing an umbrella are no reason to be watched.

I agree with you one shoud not exacerbate things, but just pointing out the obvious may land you on the list.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Anyone who has tried to fly though in the last 9 years knows that this list is probably longer than the no fly list.
According to my wife I apparently have issues keeping my mouth shut in airports.
It usually deals with the incompetence of certain staff there, but I'm pretty sure I'm on that list. I have suspected there might be a list like this, but this is the first I have actually heard of it.

I just made a comment last week while in line about them being able to see through clothes with their machines. If I wasn't already on it, I bet I am now.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I agree with you m8, this list probably will dwarf those that are the most threat to our skies. God forbid someone has an opinion about how things get done.

Those new body scanners detect more than just metal, they can clearly show dimensions of a person's anatomy as one TSA employee was ridiculed by another TSA employee after being viewed through such a scanner.

Most TSA agents are individuals who were picked up from the unemployment lines with very little regard for respect & manners. Matuity levels of some can also be called into question. This is a bad tactic that is bound to be abused.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
As stated, they should just make a list of the passengers that are complacent, and label everyone else as disgruntled.
at least they could realistically manage that list.

Oh well, another reason to plan ahead.. and drive if possible.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

When i was a kid, computers were just coming into fashion. Bill Gates was just dropping out of Harvard, and Steve Jobs was hawking "do it yourself" computers out of his garage.

During this time we saw lots of stories about a supercomputer that managed to become self aware and take over the world. It turned on humans, its creators, by using the tools it was given to do its job of, well...whatever the plot of that particular story had it doing.

government agencies are a fine example of such. The TSA, a public service agency, has turned on its creator by using the tools it was given to do its job against us.

Time to pull the figurative plug.

new topics

top topics

join