It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allignment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I heard somewere that this Sun, Earth, planets and center allignment
happens every year dec 21st..

Is this true??

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

No. I would suggest you read some popular books on Astronomy to understand why this is not the case. It would take too long to explain here.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
No need for books i believe you..
It just sounded absurd. But i had to check..

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Yes it is true. Go to the Nasa site and check it out.

The “dark rift” is a popular name for the broad and diffuse dust clouds in the
inner arm of the Milky Way Galaxy, which block our view of the galactic
center. The entire “galactic alignment” scare is pretty crazy. Late in
December the Sun is always approximately in the direction of the center of
the Galaxy as seen from the Earth, but so what? Apparently the con-men who are trying to scare you have decided to use these meaningless phrases about “alignments” and the “dark rift” and “photon belt” precisely because they are not understood by the public. It is too bad, but there is no law against lying on the Internet or anywhere else except in a court of law. As far as the safety of the Earth is concerned, the important threats are from global warming and loss of biological diversity, and perhaps someday from collision with an asteroid or comet, not the pseudoscientific claims about 2012.

Source

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hmmmm...Sounds wierd...They say nothing about the other planets in the
system though..
I thougth "this" allignment was special as to all is to be alligned with
the center.

But if this is infact true then i have no idea why everyone is so upset.
I mean, the Myans predictions could be of a Benign kind or maybe it
is what many alien believers think..They will be back...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I am so happy Nasa takes such good care of us.

We all trust them completely.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
A year is one rotation of a planet around the sun, we count in earth years (sound like a line out of a bad scifi “one of your earth years”) but different planets have different length years.

For example that big ball of gas Jupiter takes twelve of our earth years for one rotation of the sun so even if all the planets all started lined up it would take thousand of years for them to all line up again as they all take a different amount of time to complete a rotation of the sun.

hope that's clear

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Miccey

No. I would suggest you read some popular books on Astronomy to understand why this is not the case. It would take too long to explain here.

Hmm, well actually I believe in case one understands what one is talking about, it can be explained easily.

There is no proof, as to where we are in our Milky Way. Not at NASA and not at any other ources, as far as I have been checking..

..so it could be true, but we don't seem to have a full understanding of where we are in our star system (..no one seems to have..) - so I personally do not see the point in anyones arguments for or against the idea that we would be moving to the center plane of our Galaxy.

..Would love to see some confirmation though..

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Jussi]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jussi

Galaxy and solar system are big time different things.

As for were we are in the galaxy I vaguely remember, reading/seeing somewhere were near the outer rim of the galaxy, though dont hold me to that

Besides which many current hypothesis (or at least the ones I have read recently) suggest there is a super black hole at the centre of the galaxy, so if I thought we were heading towards the centre of the galaxy, I would we seriously worried.

Now before someone mentions the centre of the universe, as far as we know there inst one as, as according to current theory the universe is infinite and only finite things can have a centre.

As For the Multiverse I'm not even going there

[edit on 25-5-2010 by monkofmimir]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
reply to post by Jussi

Galaxy and solar system are big time different things.

As for were we are in the galaxy I vaguely remember, reading/seeing somewhere were near the outer rim of the galaxy, though dont hold me to that

Besides which many current hypothesis (or at least the ones I have read recently) suggest there is a super black hole at the centre of the galaxy, so if I thought we were heading towards the centre of the galaxy, I would we seriously worried.

Now before someone mentions the centre of the universe, as far as we know there inst one as, as according to current theory the universe is infinite and only finite things can have a centre.

As For the Multiverse I'm not even going there

[edit on 25-5-2010 by monkofmimir]

Hey, thanks for noting that out, edited the post..
Solar system = Star system ofcourse.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Jussi]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I heard somewere that this Sun, Earth, planets and center allignment
happens every year dec 21st..

Alignments are not what you might expect. Things are not really on a perfect line. As my friend says, it's close enough for government work and cowboy songs.

You might interested in this:
Syzygny - wikipeda

In astronomy, a syzygy is the alignment of three or more celestial bodies in the same gravitational system along a straight line. The word is usually used in context with the Sun, Earth, and the Moon or a planet, where the latter is in conjunction or opposition. Solar and lunar eclipses occur at times of syzygy, as do transits and occultations. The term is also applied to each instance of new moon or full moon when Sun and Moon are in conjunction or opposition, even though they are not precisely on one line with the Earth.

The word 'syzygy' is often loosely used to describe interesting configurations of planets in general. For example, one such case occurred on March 21, 1894 at around 23:00 GMT, when Mercury transited the Sun as seen from Venus, and Mercury and Venus both simultaneously transited the Sun as seen from Saturn. It is also used to describe situations when all the planets are on the same side of the Sun although they are not necessarily found along a straight line, such as on March 10, 1982.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Well i posted in 2012 section so i might aswell put something
that is relevant to that section.

Seems like allways we cant trust anyone, scientists have no clue,
ordinary ppl are getting freaked out, religius ppl screem "End of the
world". I think only the Myans really knew whats to happen. And i
have a feeling its gonna be some kind of shift.

And what i can TELL from our civilisation, we need a shift in attitude.
We need to start thinking in a new way.

Maybe something will happen. Something that will force us to change
attitude. And i think TPB cant do #e about it..

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

I think only the Myans really knew whats to happen.

Why do you trust the Mayans? What do they know. Please inform us.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Miccey

I think only the Myans really knew whats to happen.

Why do you trust the Mayans? What do they know. Please inform us.

Not KNOW, knew...Maybe they did know something and thats why their
calendar ends 2012..What i know, the calendar is based on weels that
spin around and around..So why didnt they keep spinning and go beyond
Dec 2012?
Or am i missing something here?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

There are many Mayan calendars. One is the Haab calendar. It is set to wrap - well maybe. It's like going from December 31 to January 1 and we need to buy a new calendar. A few months ago we went from 2009 to 2010 because our calendars came to an end. The external world doesn't care how we count time. The Mayan calendar flips to a new number. This is about as exciting as seeing a car's odometer turn 100,000 miles or kilometers. It's cool to see and that's about it.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Hey Op,

Here is a great video that perfectly explains the 2012 alignment.

For some reason it won't embed. Here

[edit on 26-5-2010 by OnTheFelt]

[edit on 26-5-2010 by OnTheFelt]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
OntheFelt your link is broken.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Just added the link, for some reason it won't embed properly

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So whats all this with 2012 ending of the world as we know it..?
Or are we talking about diffrent things...Or are you making a fool
of me..LOL

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't know about the wobble of earth rotation but it sounds plausible.

What I don't understand what this has to do with some big cataclysm in 2012 though.

Even if the video's right, it has no effect on humanity beyond a talking point in the astronomy community.

new topics

top topics

join