It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Perpetual Motion Machine really a free energy source?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have been hearing about a long time invention that puts out more energy than is required to power it.

I'm not here to criticize it; I just want to know the input of some of the population.

I believe that the current machine is still not a perpetual motion machine because the energy in the magnetic fields would be considered as the input energy.

If the magnets lost their magnetic field and still the wheel spun, then would it be called a perpetual motion machine?

Is it possible that the inventor didn't tell you that the input energy is in fact coming from the magnets themselves?

What do you all think?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I know of a perpetual motion machine that is technically a ball suspended by a magnatic force in a vacuum. Once it spins, it should spin forever. However the invention is useless in that the spinning ball cannot do any "work" without friction coming into the equation and ruining its motion. I.e. if you attached a dynamo to it, the friction would stop the ball. Nice to look at, but thats about it. You cant take any energy out of the circuit.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I tend to think that instead of putting out more energy then inputed that it would draw ambient energy from it's surroundings. Even the surrounding air has a tremendous amount of potential energy. This way this laws of physics (as we know them) can stay firmly intact.

-E-

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
We know machines quite well and what they do is convert energy of various types into other forms of energy (usually mechanical initially in the case of mechanical machines) to enable mechanical work to be done like driving a pump, vehicle, generator etc. Perpetual motion is also a possibility if all, or very nearly all, losses can be eliminated and the motion of planets and moons in their orbits is very close to true perpetual motion due to lack of friction and other losses which enables them to retain the energy they acquired from the moving material they were originally formed from.

The term 'perpetual motion machine' is something of an oxymoron though because it implies that we could input the energy required to achieve the motion and then extract energy from it to do work without slowing it down or having to replace that extracted energy.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by macb6497
I have been hearing about a long time invention that puts out more energy than is required to power it.

I'm not here to criticize it; I just want to know the input of some of the population.

Here is a perpetual motion machine of sorts:

en.wikipedia.org...

Atmos is the brand name of a mechanical clock manufactured by Jaeger-LeCoultre in Switzerland which does not need to be wound from its outside. It gets the energy it needs to run from temperature and atmospheric pressure changes in the environment, and can run for years without human intervention.

It will run as long as the sun is burning and the Earth has an atmosphere, as long as it's maintained by repairing any failures or mechanical wear, etc. There's a clock like this in my family so I've seen it work. So the idea of a perpetual motion machine doesn't seem crazy to me, since for all practical purposes, that's what this is.

Now what does seem crazy to me, is ignoring that we can make perpetual motion machines like this that follow the laws of physics, and deciding you want to make one that violates the laws of physics? Why would you want to even try? And everyone who has tried before you has failed, but they've helped confirm the laws of physics.

So forget about over unity which violates the laws of physics. Just try to make a perpetual motion machine that follows the laws of physics. It can be done, like the atmos clock.

By the way, what usually happens in the magnetic motor/generator is that it runs until the magnets lose some of their charge, so it actually does have a measured power output over unity while the magnets are demagnetizing, but we aren't getting something for nothing, the power we measure is coming from the magnets. Once the magnets are depleted and you account for the energy to "recharge" their magnetic field, the output of the system is WAY below unity, in fact it's extremely inefficient, which is why it has found no practical uses, but it's a laboratory curiosity to people that haven't figured out what I just told you yet.

The atmos clock seems to give us something for nothing. Likewise we can get "free" energy from waves and tides, from wind, solar power, etc, but the sun is the ultimate source for most of that, except perhaps tidal power which comes from gravitational/rotational inertia, so that's a bit risky if we overdo that source and slow down the Earth's rotation. Then again I've often wished there were more hours in the day so i could get more done, but I was just wishing, I'm not sure I really want to see that happen.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

top topics

join