It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Do you want to grow up to be terrorists?': U.S. soldier under investigation for 'disgraceful' F

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What is WRONG with people??? I'm ASHAMED that our country is being represented by asshats like this guy! And the people in this thread who are supporting and defending him!?!?! WTF is wrong with you??? The lack of respect from one human being to another is sorely missing in both cases! And to post a video of it for the world to see? That deserves a "slap"?

Of course, if you have done and would do the same thing, I can see why you'd defend him, but there's something VERY wrong with that!

People around the world will see this and they have EVERY right to condemn the US military after all they've seen! I don't care WHERE they are from.

Bringing up that the OP is from Canada is a cowardly cop out. Centurion do you have a list of all the people on ATS and where they are from? Unless you NEVER comment on what the people from other countries do, you need to stop being so hypocritical. You ALWAYS use this cop out in an attempt to diffuse legitimate criticism.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

I can't believe people try and brush this crap off. It's kind of a sad visage of society, but I guess it's not much of a surprise.

How can you justify this by saying that kids do something similar?

CLEARLY this isn't the same thing.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Right, They guy did not do anything wrong, and you want to hang him? You think every countries soldiers are nice to the locals? Or do you need a recent and even a current history lesson?

The problem with the world and you is you expect people to walk on eggshells and were there feelings on there sleeves. Forget that, the dudes were horsing around with those kids, Iraqi Soldiers did it to us, we did it to them. It was in good humor, but poor taste.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

The two young boys did not appear to understand the questions, which were in English, but smiled at the camera and at times flashed the ‘thumbs up’ gesture during the 30-second clip.

It's true that "thumbs up" traditionally translates as the foulest of Iraqi insults—the most straightforward interpretation is "Up yours, pal!" The sign has a similarly pejorative meaning in parts of West Africa, Russia, Australia, Iran, Greece, and Sardinia, according to Roger E. Axtell's book Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World. So, it's possible that the ostensibly cheering Iraqis are, in fact, silently voicing their displeasure.

www.slate.com...

That made me laugh. "Up yours, pal." I cannot think of anything more appropriate. Douchebag.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
They guy did not do anything wrong, and you want to hang him?

Where did I say I wanted to hang him? The guy's an idiot and a douche bag, but I don't think he should be killed because if it. Nice exaggeration.

You think every countries soldiers are nice to the locals?

I don't give a good CRAP about other countries. This is the USA. What I expect is for us to live to OUR standards regardless what some bunghole country's standards are.

The problem with the world and you is you expect people to walk on eggshells and were there feelings on there sleeves.

I expect no such thing. What I expect is that the people who represent the USA to act with civility and decency. I am aware that that's too much to expect from some.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Isn't an adult asking kids sexual questions illegal?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

What would you say if an Iraqi soldier said those things to an American kid?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thats a joke you expect people who represent the USA to act decent, you cant even get COngress to act decent, and your going to epect Soldiers in a War Zone to act that way? Dream on

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I wish I could give you 100 stars for this! It points out the hypocrisy I see on this board every day and I'm just sick of it!

If the people in this thread who are defending the behavior of this "soldier" heard of this happening the other way around, they'd be calling for his head! The hypocrisy is maddening here!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Changing the subject doesn't help you out at all. Deflecting with some off-topic about talk Congress doesn't make your point. It just shows that you have nothing to support your argument.

And YES, I expect US soldiers to act with decency. Why don't you?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dontblink

Our government has already damaged the reputation
of the United States.Damage control goes into effect
this coming november.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Ok first of all there has been no crime committed! Yes this video can be used as direct evidence, but no harm came to anyone. Therefore any alleged crime allegations are null and void.
Secondly, those of us whom have been in combat, know some playful bantering when we see it. This soldier meant know harm, nor did he even suggest any physical acts towards these children.. More importantly the chances of these kids growing up to be terrorists are higher than them being gay anyways so whats the big deal?
Some of you bleeding hearted liberals need to grow up, see the big picture ( which will never happen because ignorance is bliss for you ppl) and realize what boredom looks like! Your seeing first hand now...but god for bid our soldiers banter, and kid around to blow off steam. Why dont you wise up and thank your soldier/veteran for their service, not question what they do on their down time! Id rather you just say thank you and be on your way!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SurefireII

I am pretty sure this kind of thing is illegal in the US. Bantering between soldiers is very different from what this fool did. No American should thank him for his "service"

[edit on 25-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Those kids look sweet, if I was their mother I'd probably have kicked the guy straight in the *beep*. For those defending him you should try to think about it that way. What if those kids were your children or your lil brothers

We've probably all teased other kids at some point when we were kids ourselves, but this guys a grown man, I'm embarrassed for him. If he spoke to the kids in a decent way but thought those rude things in his head that would have at least been somewhat better...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SurefireII

To think that it's ok to post this kind of thing on Facebook is sheer idiocy. What happened to professionalism at the work place? And just because I haven't been in a war zone and "don't understand" is no excuse to justify the lapse in common decency evident in this video. The guy made a bad call, now people are going to talk about it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
He's been a complete dumbass, not so much for the actual action, but more for not trying to claim anonimity, what they don't know they can't attack you with etc.

the fact that it's in the daily mail here in the uk is a bit of a joke though, why does it matter to us in the UK what a US soldier gets up to? in a small-scale case like this at least. probably would be relevant in america.. not here. definitely daily mail trying to stir things up again i think.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

What would you say if an Iraqi soldier said those things to an American kid?

I'd be dead if Foreign troops occupied America. But I may be pissed, but wuld intsruct my kids to stay away from the invaders.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Well consider no law was broken Im pretty sure he could get away with it right here in the US. ANd another thing, bantering of any sort is done by all, so dont suggest youhavent.

And any man or woman whom has served deserves your respect, either that or why dont you grab a gun, man a post then come talk to me!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dontblink

So are you to suggest that one whom serves this country, and defends the very liberties ppl like you take for granted, are we to assume that this soldier no longer has the 1st amendment right? ( thats freedom of speech, just thought you should know, you probably havent read the constitution nor the bill of rights since the 7th grade) Are we to assume that this person no longer can exercise those rights, whether right or wrong?

Why not try to educate yourself then come talk to me~

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontblink

it's garbage like this that will irreparably damage the reputation of the United States on a global scale.

LOL. I think you're just a wee bit late, there. America's international reputation was irreperably damaged quite a while ago, now.

These days, when the rest of the world sees incidents like this, there's a collective shrug. Attrocities have come to be regarded as standard operating procedure for the American military.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join