It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Phoenix Lander is Dead , But Has it Found Life ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
With the news that Wiki leaks will release history-making stuff within weeks I find these comments from Peter Smith, Phoenix principal investigator very interesting .
The story dates from 05.24.10

"The Phoenix spacecraft succeeded in its investigations and exceeded its planned lifetime," said Fuk Li, manager of the Mars Exploration Program at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Although its work is finished, analysis of information from Phoenix's science activities will continue for some time to come."

"We found that the soil above the ice can act like a sponge, with perchlorate scavenging water from the atmosphere and holding on to it," said Peter Smith, Phoenix principal investigator at the University of Arizona in Tucson. "You can have a thin film layer of water capable of being a habitable environment. A micro-world at the scale of grains of soil -- that's where the action is."

During its mission, Phoenix confirmed and examined patches of the widespread deposits of underground water ice detected by Odyssey and identified a mineral called calcium carbonate that suggested occasional presence of thawed water. The lander also found soil chemistry with significant implications for life and observed falling snow. The mission's biggest surprise was the discovery of perchlorate, an oxidizing chemical on Earth that is food for some microbes and potentially toxic for others.

Could it be that 2010 will be the year that the Disclosure that we have been waiting for actually happens .
Ok it's not the Disclosure that we are being visited by other civilizations , but the knowledge that microbes currently exist on Mars will have massive implications for the existence of other life in our Solar System and more complex life forms in our Galaxy .
www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 25-5-2010 by gortex]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I find it hilarious and sad that ET bacteria, let alone intelligent ET life, still hasn't been acknowledged/disclosed. I feel I'm living with some babies who have just discovered how to stand - with all due respect. It's about time.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I concur. I am split between being a child and awfully excited at the prospect of disclosure of life in any guise elsewhere, and being so disappointed at my fellow man's self inflicted naivity.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cybernet
I find it hilarious and sad that ET bacteria, let alone intelligent ET life, still hasn't been acknowledged/disclosed. I feel I'm living with some babies who have just discovered how to stand - with all due respect. It's about time.

lol.. agreed man! totally agreed..

[edit on 25-5-2010 by yellow.sapphirine]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I thought the Mars Rock they found in Antarctica was conclusively found to have Bacterial Life afterall? if thats not enough proof then I don't know what is. Especially proof to show that Microbal signs (although fossilized) can still survive the journey from Mars to Earth.

If thats true, then think of all the Planets out there that are also spreading out Microbal life to other Life-Harbouring planets that otherwise wouldn't be able to kick-start life.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
...Could it be that 2010 will be the year that the Disclosure that we have been waiting for actually happens .
Ok it's not the Disclosure that we are being visited by other civilizations , but the knowledge that microbes currently exist on Mars will have massive implications for the existence of other life in our Solar System and more complex life forms in our Galaxy...

I agree that if there is in fact life on Mars, we probably will verify its presence in the near future (within 10 years? perhaps sooner?), but as you implied, I wouldn't call it disclosure. I personally don't think anyone is "hiding absolute proof" of life on Mars, waiting to spring the truth upon us "when we are ready".

Having said that...when or if life on Mars is found, the next step would be to verify that it formed totally independent of life on Earth, rather than life being seeded from one planet to the other (perhaps via a life-bearing chunk of one planet falling as a meteor on the other a few billion years ago). Perhaps Life on Earth and Mars have the exact same genesis.

If we find that potential life on Mars is in fact very different and independent from life on Earth, then the implications are huge: if life independently formed on two planets in one solar system, then life may be common and ubiquitous throughout the universe.

However, If we find that Martian microbes are similar to Earth microbes, then that does NOT confirm that life may be a common and natural process in the universe. (I'm not saying it will prove that life is uncommon, I'm just saying it won't prove that it is common.)

[edit on 5/25/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Let's see what happens in September with Phobos. If everything goes according to plan, there won't be any need for searching for bacteria on Mars...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I thought the Mars Rock they found in Antarctica was conclusively found to have Bacterial Life afterall? if thats not enough proof then I don't know what is. Especially proof to show that Microbal signs (although fossilized) can still survive the journey from Mars to Earth.

No, assuming you're referring th ALH84001, even when they announced it, it was phrased that they THINK it MIGHT be evidence of life. And while that's still true, the debate rages on to this day...is it or isn't it evidence of Martian life? The debate is unresolved.

As for the rest of you, are you suggesting we should disclose there is ET life before we have proof of ET life? I don't get what you're saying.

I've read bits and pieces about the Phoenix Lander mission but I don't know what they plan to announce.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Let's see what happens in September with Phobos. If everything goes according to plan, there won't be any need for searching for bacteria on Mars...

DO you not mean if it goes to Hoaglands plan
I wont hold my breath waiting on that one if I was you!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Now that they know that microbiology can thrive there lets plant some. Take some soil samples teaming with life and start depositing it all over mars. If it takes that would would be great. If not well we tried. At least do something. mars is dead. It might take hundreds of thousands of years to get it going. Sooner we start the better.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
Now that they know that microbiology can thrive there lets plant some. Take some soil samples teaming with life and start depositing it all over mars. If it takes that would would be great. If not well we tried. At least do something. mars is dead. It might take hundreds of thousands of years to get it going. Sooner we start the better.

Think of the implications that would have for native-Mars microbes. It would be terrible and possibly threaten their very existence - if indeed they do currently exist on Mars.

Every lander ever send to another planet has been carefully sterilized to prevent this very thing from happening.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I have mixed feeling about this. In the one hand, we have Sagan's point:

"Mars belongs to the Martians — even if they are only microbes." — Carl Sagan

On the other hand, we have reason to believe that the Earth will encounter another mass extinction like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, and we would like to survive as a species. Having a colony set up on Mars would increase our chances of survival.

One compromise would be for people to live in contained habitats. This might allow the martian ecosystem, if there is one, to remain intact, whle having separate ecosystems for people in enclosed environments. However, activities like waste disposal would probably end up contaminating the martian environment.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Exactly.

That is what is going to happen; we will seed Earth life on Mars.

And all those ninnies and whiners who want to get in the way of progress just attract more attention to this brilliant idea when they lobby against it.

Mars belongs to us to do with it what we will.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm waiting for NASA to screw up royally and plop down one of their radio shack remote-control science projects too close to some of the ruins on Mars, or better yet, the Anunnaki way station, and release some of those pics. That would make everybody forget this 'bacteria in a thin film of near-freezing water' nonsense.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
i tohught the annunaki were on the back of the moon not mars?
or is that venus?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Exactly.

And all those ninnies and whiners who want to get in the way of progress just attract more attention to this brilliant idea when they lobby against it.

You have got to be kidding. Seriously wtf?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Exactly.

You have got to be kidding. Seriously wtf?

We are afterall HUMANS..

Remember the Vikings...Columbus...
If we just can get rid of the Vatican their greed in souls..It´ll be fine..

new topics

top topics

join