It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. to begin using more-expensive Trojan condoms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
D.C. to begin using more-expensive Trojan condoms in HIV prevention program.

High school students and college-age adults have been complaining to District officials that the free condoms the city has been offering are not of good enough quality and are too small and that getting them from school nurses is "just like asking grandma or auntie."

Washington post:DC Condoms.

I couldn't get over the too small part.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just getting old but I could never really get used to the idea of Public School Systems giving Rubbers out to high school kids, isn't this something that parents should handle? What's wrong with buying them in the drug store, it's not like they are a controlled substance.
Yeah I know, I was teenager once myself, but to me there's something just not right about it, sex education is one thing, but this seems alot like them saying "Go ahead and have premarital underage intercourse kids, we'll even supply the condoms."

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

including the packaging of Magnums in a shiny, gold wrapper. "The gold package certainly has a little bit of the bling quality," said Michael Kharfen, a spokesman for the city's HIV/AIDS administration.

This article makes me a little worried about the people incharge of the program.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I think maybe their just keeping the teachers stock piled.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I laughed out loud when I got to the "too small" part. Still, I think this is a good program! Now if we could only get over the whole failed 'abstinence only' program which plagues our sex education here in the US, we'd be on the right path!

Trojans for all! I say we offer the students a variety!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

If we could get them to quit having sex with students would be nice too.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Loken68

Perk of the job, right?

In all seriousness, I don't think we'll ever be able to stop the whole 'teacher/student' sex issue. It's morally wrong, yes. Sadly, It's going to happen. Least we can do is make sure the students are well prepared for it.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Well, that's an interesting story. As someone that's been inclined to have sex and wanted to do so responsibly - outside of marriage (if that matters), there is a big difference in the quality of products available. Which perhaps might be like comparing the difference between Burger King and a local family-run restaurant, you get what you pay for.

In my experience Trojan are one of the superior brands for "comfort". Condoms have been around in different forms for a very long, long time...

Lambs intestines

History of condoms...

I never really had issues with buying condoms from a chemist (in the UK), we're not supplied them at school and I don't remember if there was anywhere to get them on my college campus, although in England we have walk-in birth control clinics, where we can get free condoms/contraception. I don't think I would've been inclined to see the school-nurse on a regular basis.

I do agree that parents should definitely be involved, but for some that's not a viable option, imagine/remember if you will some of the awkwardness that goes with being a teenager, where your body is going through rapid changes, that you may technically understand, yet emotionally your hormones can be going through turmoil. Some kids get (really bad) acne and feel really self conscious about it, I did, couldn't help it but felt dreadful and embarassed - even talking/being talked at about it by my mother - I'd feel a hell of a lot more awkward talking about my boner. 15+ years later, it's hard to remember how that felt maybe, but this can be a very awkward time for some and if they're feeling confident enough to ask for better birth control, more power to them.

Edit to add:

reply to post by calstorm

Sadly this is an example of the times we live in, I wouldn't denigrate that spokesmans comment though. We unfortunately have a (mostly male) youth culture that doesn't see safe sex or birth control as their responsibility. It's seen as uncool - so if there's the possibility of it being less so...

[edit on 25/5/1010 by jokei]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
are you kidding me, in america girls and boys start having intercourse in middle school now. why pass it out in college, we should give it to kids in middle school too. i know its sickening but you can't deny reality.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
are you kidding me, in america girls and boys start having intercourse in middle school now. why pass it out in college, we should give it to kids in middle school too. i know its sickening but you can't deny reality.

Teachers in middle school bring their own.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
So, when are we going to add that to the Constitution?

A well regulated sex life, being necessary to the amoralistic society, the right of the people to free and abundant Ribbed, Large and Colored Trojan Condoms, shall not be infringed.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

it will be included in the quaduple oil tax bill

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

In all seriousness, I don't think we'll ever be able to stop the whole 'teacher/student' sex issue. It's morally wrong, yes. Sadly, It's going to happen. Least we can do is make sure the students are well prepared for it.

Student-teacher sex is fine if the student is male and the teacher is female. It's only wrong the other way around.

I know this goes against our precious dogma of equality, but it's true. A female student who has sex with a male teacher ends up with psychological problems. A male student who has sex with a female teacher shoots straight to the top of the teenage social hierarchy. Ten years later he has self-confidence and probably has a high-paying job, a hot wife, and a great story to tell.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

You just hit the nail right on the head. people just don't give a rats bum until it's their kid, then they bring out the lynching mob mentality.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Maybe I'm just getting old but I could never really get used to the idea of Public School Systems giving Rubbers out to high school kids, isn't this something that parents should handle? What's wrong with buying them in the drug store, it's not like they are a controlled substance.
Yeah I know, I was teenager once myself, but to me there's something just not right about it, sex education is one thing, but this seems alot like them saying "Go ahead and have premarital underage intercourse kids, we'll even supply the condoms."

It should be, but not everyones parents are that responsible, some will even tell their kids not to have sex period.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
With all the problems DC has, keeping it's "free condoms" campaign seems to be pretty low on the totem pole in my mind.

Personally, if you can't find a gas station or 7-11 then I really couldn't care less if you knock some girl up.

DC would fix a lot of it's problems by telling poor people to move out of the city. Shoot, cut them a check for 10,000 if they agree to move out of the downtown area.

I swear, poor people staying in crime infested/expensive areas and then raising kids seems about as stupid as anyone can get.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

if you compared reality to a firing range. Your the one that brough a child into this place atleast provide him with hearing protection.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

We as a country are sacrificing our children to the state. While we gripe about conspiracy TPTB are continuing to destroy our future. We should never allowed prayer to be taken out of school. Look where it has got us "NO MORALS"

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loken68

We as a country are sacrificing our children to the state. While we gripe about conspiracy TPTB are continuing to destroy our future. We should never allowed prayer to be taken out of school. Look where it has got us "NO MORALS"

Lack of prayer or faith does not equal lack of morals, just as prayer or faith does not equate or even improve morals.

Religion has no hegemony on morality, regardless of how it likes to boast.

However, pre-marital sex is nothing new, not by a long shot. 90% of people had sex before they were married even 80-100 years ago so let's not say things have really changed.

It's only more public now, like homosexuals. The problem is with some people's weak sensibilities rather than "morals".

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

So, when are we going to add that to the Constitution?

A well regulated sex life, being necessary to the amoralistic society, the right of the people to free and abundant Ribbed, Large and Colored Trojan Condoms, shall not be infringed.

That is by far one of the best comments I have ever read.

And it reads like something right out of the Constitution.

Your sarcasm is great. Sadly, in the direction we are going, I can see that being the 29th Amendment, right after the new one granting everyone free health care with the compulsory purchase of said health care.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join