It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S Korea starts wall of sound border war

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

S Korea starts wall of sound border war

www.sbs.com.au

South Korea on Tuesday started installing loudspeakers along its tense border with North Korea in preparation for broadcasts, ignoring threats by the communist state's army to fire at them.

After a six-year halt, the Seoul government has resumed a Cold War-style propaganda campaign as part of a package of reprisals for the North's sinking of a South Korean warship.

The campaign began on Monday evening, hours after President Lee Myung-Bak cut trade links with the North and announced he would refer it to the United Nations Security Council for punishment.

The defence ministry said it
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This should get the north fired up or just piss them off even more.The wall of sound will broadcast propaganda to the north,i guess to let them know how much better things are in the South,but the North have threatened to shoot back if the broadcast go's ahead.Are we living in the fifties again? This seems like old school warfare, propaganda and leaflets to turn the populace against their leaders.All this posturing can only lead to one thing and it's looking more and more likely.Lets hope it all blows over , The tension and the sound system.

www.sbs.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Now it seems as if S. Korea actually wants to start another war. This is an act of provocation in an already tense situation. Smart move, S. Korea.

All of this has happened before ... and will happen again.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

It's starting to feel like the earth is going back in time to the 1950's. Maybe it would be best to take out the North Korean government. free the Korean people in the North and charge Kim Jong Il and his buddies for crimes against humanity.

+4 more 
posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
Now it seems as if S. Korea actually wants to start another war. This is an act of provocation in an already tense situation. Smart move, S. Korea.

All of this has happened before ... and will happen again.

Seriously??? NK sinks a SK'n ship, and Seoul responds with nothing more than what amounts to karaoke on steroids. However, in your eyes, SK is the one doing the provoking?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yeah!

I vote Jimi Hendrix Star Spangled Banner

That ought to get NKs goat.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

Only cowards acquiesce to a bully's threats. South Korea has shown more than diplomacy and restraint regarding this issue, while North Korea has been begging for a war. Peace at any cost means paying sacrifice, and sacrifice by definition is giving up something of a higher value in exchange for something of a lesser value. Only a fool would make sacrifices in the name of peace that won't be respected.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

Great idea ,maybe everyone who post's can suggest what should be played on the boom box and all the North Koreans can send a request to DJ Lee.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I agree that South Korea is JUSTIFIED in this. There is no disputing that. What I am saying is that, given the current circumstances, this is a provocation.

South Korea already stated they'd take preemptive measures to defend themselves in the future, have severed most trade and diplomatic talks, have called for sanctions against the country, and are now planning a heavy-weight naval exercise with the United States.

North Korea will probably take a few pot shots at the devices being installed, and S. Korea knows this. Would this be a trigger for another Korean war? Only time will tell.

All I'm saying is that this is provoking another incident. That's all I'm saying.

Also, while we're on the subject, may I recommend they play some music over these speakers? Perhaps some Marilyn Manson, Korn, and maybe some American hip-hop?

I mean, if we're going to end up in another war with N. Korea, then let's start it off to some good music!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
I agree that South Korea is JUSTIFIED in this. There is no disputing that. What I am saying is that, given the current circumstances, this is a provocation.

South Korea already stated they'd take preemptive measures to defend themselves in the future, have severed most trade and diplomatic talks, have called for sanctions against the country, and are now planning a heavy-weight naval exercise with the United States.

North Korea will probably take a few pot shots at the devices being installed, and S. Korea knows this. Would this be a trigger for another Korean war? Only time will tell.

All I'm saying is that this is provoking another incident. That's all I'm saying.

Not to nitpick on you, bud, because I am sure you mis-spoke, and do truly believe SK is not in the wrong...but you cannot fit a square peg in a round hole...what I am saying is that in the same breath you call these actions "preemptive measures to defend" as well as a provocation of war. It cannot be both.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

By all accounts, North Korea wants this war in the worst way. It is a prudent move on South Korea's part to prepare for this war in every way. Doing whatever possible to convince North Korean's to overthrow their own government, and at the very least consider the consequences of placing their own lives on the line to fight a war a rouge government is begging to fight, is a sound strategy, and one that doesn't kill a single soul. It is an act of diplomacy in the face of war, not provocation. Sinking one of North Korea's ships in retaliation would be provocation. Your reasoning sounds much like that of the wife beater who points to his wife's words and declares she made him beat her.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by vimanarider

What I am trying to say is that S. Korea has already taken the measures needed to 'punish' North Korea. UN help on severe sanctions, hard stance on further N. Korean aggression, trade cutoff's, heavy weight naval exercise with the US, and the like. To me, this is enough.

What I am saying is that by using these loud speakers, they're committing an assault against N. Korea. A non-violent one, yes, but an direct assault against them none the less. This is the provocation.

Does this make any sense?

reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Blowing loud speakers against a communist country telling the populace to rise up and overthrow a leader who by all accounts is completely nuts is not provoking a war?

It doesn't directly put a Soul in danger but it does indirectly. What if, assuming Kim is as nuts as we all believe him to be, begins the war by firing into Soul? This indirectly puts them in more danger than they'd otherwise be in, in my honest opinion.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

No it does not make sense to me, sorry. I really do not want to belabor this much further than it has already gone, I mean this is about as clear cut as it gets. I refer you to the "wife beater" quote by JPZ a few posts up...because I think that eloquently summed up your confusion.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Well everybody is entitled to their opinions. I respect yours. Everybody shares different views and has a different logic. =)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

I don't buy that. NK with a german torpedo and only thing linking to NK is blue handwriting on the torp. That's just plain ridicilous.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

South Korea's actions are not about punishment, they are about self preservation. You continually attempt to frame South Korea as the aggressor, and only back pedal long enough to admit what is obvious, that North Korea has been the one engaged in provocation.

The fact that the so called "leader" of North Korea is by all accounts nuts, is all the more reason to anticipate war, and to expect more provocations from this nut bag. If the wife beater analogy doesn't register with you then consider your own logic and apply it to Mahatma Gandhi. I suppose Gandhi was simply just provoking the British, and should have just accepted their imperial rule over India as the way things are.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

The history textbooks of the future will probably omit that information.

Sad, but true.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Blowing loud speakers against a communist country telling the populace to rise up and overthrow a leader who by all accounts is completely nuts is not provoking a war?

It doesn't directly put a Soul in danger but it does indirectly. What if, assuming Kim is as nuts as we all believe him to be, begins the war by firing into Soul? This indirectly puts them in more danger than they'd otherwise be in, in my honest opinion.

Allow me to throw this scenario out at you...

Let's say you live in a typical residential neighborhood.
Let's say that your neighbor is a wee bit of a loon.
Let's say this same neighbor one afternoon sees your pregnant dog walking in the street (now mind you NOT on his porperty, but in the common area of the street)
Let's say this neighbor decided he is going to shoot your pregnant dog, killing not only it, but the litter of puppies inside her.
Let's say this neighbor runs back in his house and takes no responsibility for shooting your dog.
Let's say several days later it is revealed that he was in fact responsible.
Let's say you begin by taking your grievance to local law enforcement and mediators.
Let's say all the while you are taking the appropriate legal steps to right this wrong, this same neighbor continues to sit on his steps and hurl threats and insults at you and your family.
Let's say after all of this one day you happen to have your music turned up too loud.
Let's say this causes the same neighbor to levy yet another verbal or physical salvo in your direction.

Does this sound familiar? Get where I am going with this?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I wonder what SK could say to convince North Koreans to revolt? I guess planting a little seed of doubt about their dear leader may do some good, but I can't see it causing an uprising!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Oh I guess that NK is just another victim of the NWO's master plan, right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join