It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Breaking news) Oil Tanker Collision

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
51% owned by BP....This one in Alaska

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by HeinousOne

i understand the mass difference in oil leaking as opposed to being on the surface, but either way, wouldnt you think if singapore could clean up the surface oil in a timely manner, that the US could implement some of their strategies as to keep the spread of the leak more contained than it is now? ive seen some vids and read some articles on how to collect the oil efficiently, and yet, nothing really has been done except dispatching a few boats to collect the oil.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
What's funny is that we've had the electric car for a hundred years now. Wanna know what's sad? They haven't been researched on because they're not money makers like oil.

I say make the big oil companies pay out the wazoo so they can't continue operating anymore and concentrate that money into the electric car research.

Screw oil, screw greed, fix mother nature.

My own ramblings of course.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeinousOne

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2

Originally posted by getreadyalready
The Movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind!

Are we heading in that direction? So stupid and dependent on technology and energy greed that we will sacrifice everything in the world for a little more oil? So inept that we can't keep giant slow moving ships from colliding? So passive that we all just roll our eyes and say, "oh another one, poor whales?"

This is gettting seriously sad and disturbing!

Trust me dude, even at slow speeds, it takes ALOT of time to get a vessel to come to a complete stop, let alone maneuver it. It's all well and good to sit there saying "How the hell did they manage to screw that one up?!?!?", but the simple fact is in such a congested shipping lane, it is EXTREMELY important that everyone is on a state of High Alert.

Most of the time, going through such congested areas, most Vessels are doing a maximum speed of 4-5 Knots, due to the low manuevarability of the Vessels.

I am thinking that either this accident was a big bang, or it was between 2 older vessels, maybe 15 years old, because ALL vessels built these days are Double Hulled, so for this to happen, and to break through the Hull, possibly Double Hull, then the Oil Tanks, someone must have cocked up big time, or one of the Vessels was going too quick.

That, or their GPS equipment took a major shot from something at a very inopportune moment.

Compare the time of this to when that seismic shock was felt around the world simultaneously?

Good one
Even if GPS, and Radar took a hit, when I say congested, I mean the vessels are going withing 50-100 metres of each other at times. Now if you can't see another vessel at that range, you shouldn't be working on a ship!!!!

Well you wouldn't anyways, cause you wouldn't pass your medical.

Was actually just on an Oil Tanker about half an hour ago, and was speaking to the Skipper, 2nd Officer and one of the AB's, and they all said that it's not an uncommon occurance for something like that to happen in the Singapore Straights, due to high traffic volume. Just we don't hear about it because it's not such massive amounts lost.

Hell, there have been worse accidents that I have heard of, that has had absolutely no coverage whatsoever. As I said in one of the other threads, a couple of years ago we had a vessel sink because of an explosion on board, where 2 crew were killed. Coverage of the sinking??? Absolutely none.

Whoever said that we have possibly on heard about it because of what has happened with BP's Oil Rig might be onto something there.

Edit to add - Frontkjemper, good idea, but why not something more awesome, like Anti-Gravity platforms???? With the amount of money oil companies make each year in Net Profits, I'm sure it wouldn't take em long to get something up and running. Now that would be awesome!!!!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by TerribleTeam2]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
When I first read this I thought this couldn't be for real. I mean how do you not see another ship.It is not like a ship can just sneak up on another ship out of the blue.This port being so congested should have ways to sop this from happening. I guess the captains of these ships will have some serious explaining to do. Was the weather bad or visibilty bad. Because if this was done in clear weather it will be interesting to hear how this accident happened.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
When I first read this I thought this couldn't be for real. I mean how do you not see another ship.It is not like a ship can just sneak up on another ship out of the blue.This port being so congested should have ways to sop this from happening. I guess the captains of these ships will have some serious explaining to do. Was the weather bad or visibilty bad. Because if this was done in clear weather it will be interesting to hear how this accident happened.

As I said in an earlier post dude, it is usually from a miscommunication. USUALLY. But there have been times when it has been because the Officer of the Watch or the Rating on Watch were drunk, fell asleep, etc.

Trust me on this, 99.99999% of the time it is because of human error, or just basic lack of concentration, or just plain old being over worked or tired.

The other .00001% of the time it is because the Vessel is a rusting heap of #, or Mechanical malfuntion.

But it will be interesting to see what happens, and to see who is at fault. And trust me people, there WILL be an Investigation into why and how it happened, in accordance with Maritime Laws.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join