It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Breaking news) Oil Tanker Collision

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I will have to agree with you.

Even i onequestion use oil when i take the bus, as small as it seems,
a small bus?...like a short bus?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

I am going to have to agree with you on this one. That is the most congested patch of ocean on the planet. The amount of large ocean going traffic that goes through that strait where Singapore resides is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, it was bound to happen.

The real issue here isn't how much oil is going to be spilled but instead how long is that strait going to be backed up? We are talking Global economic ramifications involved with this and it isn't just about oil.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I googled it and was able to find that one barrel is 0.136 metric tonnes, so 2000 barrels works out to be 14,705 barrels.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Considering* the fact that Singapore is a heavily congested area on the oceans, I would say people are going way too far in suggesting this was a conspiracy. You would need remote controlled boats for something like that. I doubt any captain is going to willingly run into an oil tanker on the high seas.

Boats running through the open water in a highly congested area without a soul on board would seem quite out of the ordinary...

Nah, I just consider this to be really, really bad luck.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, I wonder if these spills are actually linked to some sort of terrorist attacks.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Dang ! Thanks for the info. Personally, I have been seeking a job in my own neighborhood for years so I can stop driving, but all the small businesses are owned by immigrants who don't hire outside the family. The medium businesses use immigrant labor. No large firms. How can we stop driving when we have to go so far to pay the monthly bills? IDK. I know when I was young I walked to work at the corners, and was much happier. I know there are millions of other uses for oil, but if we could only start somewhere and stop this destruction !!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
all i want to know is... who is training these nitwit oil companies?????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff3426b03989.jpg[/atsimg]

link   
[edit on 25-5-2010 by maddogron]

link   
(wierd... i think the oil companies zapped me with a HARRP array and i double/triple poste)... better put on my tin foil feather cap....

link   
(how the hell do you get rid of these multiple posting.... wierd... (adjusting tin foil feathers)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
WTF how can you not see a half mile long tanker from far enough to be able to steer damn its not like they are speedboats... Are those captains sleeping or dope tested or something....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wow, something I can actually talk about for once!!!!

First off, 2000 tons of oil is roughly 2,000,000 kg when converted to weight. So therefore, 2,000,000kg = 4,400,000lbs, working at the ratio of 1kg = 2.2lbs.

Secondly, as some of the guys have said on here, the Singapore Straight is one of the most congested shipping lanes in the world, so it really isn't all that suprising that it has happened. There are only 3 other shipping lanes that gets busier that I am aware of, and that is The Panama Canal, The Suez Canal, and the Straights of Malacca. With the amount of shipping "traffic" that goes through these areas, the Port Authorities are doing a pretty good job to keep accidents as low as they are.

As for a conspiracy that this was done intentionally - the plain answer is # no. Not only are the companies that own the vessels liable for any costs incurred, but as of new Maritime Laws, the CHARTERER is also resposible. And on top of that, no self-respecting Officer or Crew member would intentionally cause an accident. Sure, there have been instances of negligence (like the M/V Pasha Bulker running aground in Newcastle, Australia, which I know personally what happened there because we were dealing directly with the crew), but to INTENTIONALLY do it, I think not, because trust me people, there would be Criminal Charges brought to bear.

My guess as to what happened??? A miscommunication between the crews. It's a known fact that the majority of vessels run Multinational Crews, so somewhere along the lines, someone has made an error and miscommunicated a Standing Order or an Order from the Officer of the Watch, or the Captain.

Will have to wait and see what happens. Might have to ask a few of the people in the industry what they know of this, and try to get back to you all.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The Movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind!

Are we heading in that direction? So stupid and dependent on technology and energy greed that we will sacrifice everything in the world for a little more oil? So inept that we can't keep giant slow moving ships from colliding? So passive that we all just roll our eyes and say, "oh another one, poor whales?"

This is gettting seriously sad and disturbing!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
whats going to interest me most is how the east will clean up their spill as opposed to the states failing at their attempts to cap their leak. if the east could clean up their spill in a timely manner, then why cant the US do ANYTHING that at least REDUCES the oil coming out? every time i hear about the leak, theres more gallons pouring out than before. definite conspiracy in my opinion (at least with BP) if Singapore has their oceans clean before BP even COMES UP with a logical solution for their mess.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Are we heading in that direction? So stupid and dependent on technology and energy greed that we will sacrifice everything in the world for a little more oil? So inept that we can't keep giant slow moving ships from colliding? So passive that we all just roll our eyes and say, "oh another one, poor whales?"

Trust me dude, even at slow speeds, it takes ALOT of time to get a vessel to come to a complete stop, let alone maneuver it. It's all well and good to sit there saying "How the hell did they manage to screw that one up?!?!?", but the simple fact is in such a congested shipping lane, it is EXTREMELY important that everyone is on a state of High Alert.

Most of the time, going through such congested areas, most Vessels are doing a maximum speed of 4-5 Knots, due to the low manuevarability of the Vessels.

I am thinking that either this accident was a big bang, or it was between 2 older vessels, maybe 15 years old, because ALL vessels built these days are Double Hulled, so for this to happen, and to break through the Hull, possibly Double Hull, then the Oil Tanks, someone must have cocked up big time, or one of the Vessels was going too quick.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

THat is assuming these are accidents...

We don't know either way yet.

have to wait and see

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by taguon

It's not exactly a fair comparison. First off one is a limited spill that is on the surface and the other is a seemingly endless supply of oil exploding forth from the bottom of the sea.

I do hope they are able to clean up the spill at the mouth of that Strait as soon as possible but it wont prove they are better able to handle the situation we are having in the Gulf.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Trust me dude, even at slow speeds, it takes ALOT of time to get a vessel to come to a complete stop, let alone maneuver it. It's all well and good to sit there saying "How the hell did they manage to screw that one up?!?!?", but the simple fact is in such a congested shipping lane, it is EXTREMELY important that everyone is on a state of High Alert.

Most of the time, going through such congested areas, most Vessels are doing a maximum speed of 4-5 Knots, due to the low manuevarability of the Vessels.

I am thinking that either this accident was a big bang, or it was between 2 older vessels, maybe 15 years old, because ALL vessels built these days are Double Hulled, so for this to happen, and to break through the Hull, possibly Double Hull, then the Oil Tanks, someone must have cocked up big time, or one of the Vessels was going too quick.

That, or their GPS equipment took a major shot from something at a very inopportune moment.

Compare the time of this to when that seismic shock was felt around the world simultaneously?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Ok, this is a reach, but if you can't get the price of crude up, due to war in the middle east, what's the next best thing?? Decrease the supply... Hence this and the several other oil spills going on throughout the world....

Like I said it's a reach...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This kind of stuff Does happen from time to time. We just don't hear much about it in the news. Same with Earthquakes. Once Haiti got destroyed and lost over 100,000 lives..the media (and the rest of us) became much more aware of Earth's ways. The media for a little while made a big deal over every little quake..and ATS followed the same path making every quake seem like the end of the world....no matter how damn common they are.

Now even though these oil spills are horrendous and absolutely diasterous to the planet and it's oceans...they are common..not as common as earthquakes but you get the point. Why are we paying attention to This particular story? Because of the spill in the Gulf....if that didn't happen, this story would not make front page.

That's all, thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join