It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Breaking news) Oil Tanker Collision

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Emergency teams are working to contain a crude oil spill after two ships - a tanker and a bulk carrier - collided in waters off Singapore.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 25-5-2010 by union_jack]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

An estimated 2,000 tonnes of crude oil are leaking into the sea.

wow poor oceans cant get a break lately.

whats with all the oil spills as of late, makes the conspirator in me raise an eye-brow.

For those curious where Singapore is.

[edit on 5/25/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Jeez. Down with the oil companies, who will lead the charge!? Pitchforks, torches, and rifles!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Thank you for posting the map...
It seems to me that the oceans are being more poisoned..is it a serious lapse of concentration or what..

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

C`MON!!!

Like we haven't had enough already, or the oceans for that matter!

[edit on 25/5/10 by sandri_90]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

It's more like, down with ourselves, we all use oil and accidents WILL happen. Stab myself with my pitchfork. Actually, I'm not the type who promotes dehumanization I'm just putting part of your idea into context.

Considering the reality of newer, safer and more efficient plants, are environmentalists really sure that we ought to not build new nuclear power plants and continue to use ancient dinosaur facilities? Something like half of the power in the US is powered by oil / natural gas, and both electric cars and the hydrogen economy are limited by avoiding nuclear power... until we come up with something much grander.

PS: Since Singapore is the subject you'll likely be shocked to learn about "THE SINGAPORE SOLUTION".

[edit on 25-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
How could this happen in this modern day?
Radar, Satellite, cell phone, ship to ship radio!
I can not help to think that it was intentional.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I will have to agree with you.

Even i onequestion use oil when i take the bus, as small as it seems, it still seems.

Btw, how do i convert 2000 tons into barrels? Google isn't helping my problematic math skills.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I'm really starting to wonder if this isn't some bigger conspiracy to drive the price of oil through the roof?

How big are the barrels?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

Conversion

15,000 barrels

Considering the Gulf spill, thats nothing, but also considering the Gulf spill, its like taking salt and adding insult to injury kind of.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Btw, how do i convert 2000 tons into barrels? Google isn't helping my problematic math skills.

All I can tell you is that water weighs 8lbs a gallon, and salt water is 9lbs a gallon. 2,000 tons would be 4,000,000 lbs. Not sure how many lbs make up a gallon of motor oil.

Doesn't motor oil sink in fresh water, but float on salt-water? If so, wouldn't this make it between 8-9lbs? 444,444-500,000 gallons...I think.

Guess my assumption on weight was off. A gallon of oil only weighs 6.35lbs according to the link provided above!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by onequestion

All I can tell you is that water weighs 8lbs a gallon, and salt water is 9lbs a gallon. 2,000 tons would be 4,000,000 lbs. Not sure how many lbs make up a gallon of motor oil.

Doesn't motor oil sink in fresh water, but float on salt-water? If so, wouldn't this make it between 8-9lbs? 444,444-500,000 gallons...I think.

Guess my assumption on weight was off. A gallon of oil only weighs 6.35lbs according to the link provided above!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by unityemissions]

2000 ton is 4 million lb? interesting, i never knew that.

i heard somewhere that it was only 14,000 gallon.....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Great..
Just what the ocean needs.. MORE oil.
*face palms*

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
i can't help but to feel if we're not raping, slaughtering or bombing someone, we're destroying the world for everyone else. of course we don't see it that way, we're americans, how can we ever think bad about ourselves. the fact is, if this was spilling somewhere in asia we'd be moaning day and night about them, we'd probably nuke them too.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by DOADOA]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by DOADOA]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
man good lord, talk about bad luck in the oceans!! yes this does sound lke an excuse to drive prices up dosnt it? Maybe its a builderburg plan>?
In one sense, this only came out a few years ago...oil is now suspected of being anionic....it renews itself in the earth. Before they thought it was nonanionic...you know, the stuff leftover from when the dinosaurs were here. That, if its true, being anionic means technically its kinda like earths blood* in a sense.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
How could this happen in this modern day?
Radar, Satellite, cell phone, ship to ship radio!
I can not help to think that it was intentional.

Waters around Singapore are amazingly congested. Haven't seen anything like it before in my life (And I've travelled the globe extensively).

It is literally bumper to bumper.

I'm quite surprised it doesn't happen more often...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Jeez. Down with the oil companies, who will lead the charge!? Pitchforks, torches, and rifles

Well it's your idea, you take the point.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
yes i have to agree, that paticular part of the world is very very conjested with ship traffic. These ships do not stop on a dime, or even a foot ball feild. So if someone missed the notice to slow down..what im trying to say is this type of event was bound to happen. the timing is way off considering the gulf. If this incident happened anywhere else i would call foul...but this one just seems like a good ol' OPPS!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Damn! more oil into the oceans.... i'm not gonna say 'we' i'm gonna say 'they' (and we all know who i mean) have a lot to answer for.... that's 2 ships shipping oil lately, not to mention the huge oil well which is really going mad spewing gazillions of oil into the sea....

WTF is going on?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Your kidding right?

*pinches skin*

This must be a hoax?

Well of course it's not. What the hell is wrong with us? How do two ships collide in this day and age?

I'm at a loss for words. Hopefully this will be easier to contain and seal.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join