It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question of Morality: The Draft

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I fully support a draft the men of today need it and it would likely do them the world of good it seems like every generation gets lazier and more feminine a spell in the military would help fix that right up.

I think Isreal has the right Idea everyone should have to serve a few years in the military and if there is a war on so much the better I mean what's the alternative watching them stuff their face with burgers and playing nintendo.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterwarlock
I fully support a draft the men of today need it and it would likely do them the world of good it seems like every generation gets lazier and more feminine a spell in the military would help fix that right up.

Just the "men of today" not the women?

That is sexist. You are being sexist.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by mapsurfer_

Do you think draftees are more effective soldiers than volunteers?

You must have a reason for wanting the draft so bad - surely you think the draft would make the military better.

*Because if you believe draftees are less effective than volunteers and yet you want the army inundated with draftees, then you are lobbying for a less effective fighting force.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Exuberant1]

I am not lobbying for anything. I am simply stating for those who don't know anything about the military, just why there *was* a draft, and why there is still a selective service. It is the law, This the way it is, and it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Yes, I believe you cannot judge a soldiers ability and work based on their induction status. There were many green soldier draftees who turned out to be true heroes in the most literal sense. You are the one who is stereotyping the quality of a draftees work. I would like to point out there are many draftees who happen to be high ranking enlisted and officers who are the senior leaders of todays military, who make life and death decisions on a daily basis. Before you judge these people, let me tell you that when I joined the service... it was the Vietnam draftees who were Drill Sargents teaching the volunteers discipline and military tactics, and basic survival and battlefield skills that would save their lives, and they had a very real code of honor and integrity that you may never know. It is something that you have to witness to understand what there value really is. At this point, most of those draftees... the ones who made the military their career have retired or will be retiring very soon.. And that experience will be lost and civilians really own them gratitude for their service. Really dude, you really don't have any idea.

I do not like the draft, but it is an opinion that president and the military has to get able bodied men and women deployed in the event they are needed to defend our nation from threats foreign and domestic. Get the picture? It is a necessary option. Just be thankful there are enough patriotic soldiers who volunteer to serve so that the draft is our nation's last resort option. So what the hell are you debating? the US abandon it's last resort option? You may never know, and I pray we don't find out how bad things could get before the actively draft recruits again, but it doesn't take much imagination to think of the scenarios and when it comes down to it bro... if you don't think fighting for your home and country is worth fighting for, just please keep that to yourself.

For the 3rd time.. Ever serve in the military?

This is about all I have to say on this subject and my perspective and opinion on this topic won't change. So with that, you sir may have the last word.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

If you read his/her second paragraph you will see a reference to the Isreal

system of mandatory service. Everyone serves in the Isreal Armed Forces.

How can you think he's sexist? Women serve in Isreal.

Before you ask, I'm a Marine, No I was not drafted, accutally I never had

to sign up. The draft wasn't in effect then. My age group never had to

[edit on 25-5-2010 by 8654drp]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 8654drp

Are you saying winterwarlock and mapsurfer are the same person?

How do you know this?

Or are you just confusing my reply to winterwarlock as being a reply to mapsurfer?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iwillnever
I don't mind them drafting me as long as they don't mind me running like a p**** once I see guys next to me getting shot.

They will shoot you for that. You better run off to Europe before you are drafted.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by tauempire

I take it you were born so late that you avoided the draft?

Is that the case?

*It often is with those who promote the draft; they usually have never been drafted nor elected to serve. It is pathetic when you think about it.

how is it pathetic? i said i would go myself. its not like im advocating it and not offering myself up. that would be hypocriticle.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Certain people just arn't the right candidates for war. There are so many suicides by soldiers who enlisted without being forced to, imagine how many more we'll have? I am a woman and too old to be drafted, but if I were young and had to go to war I would be terrified and absolutely useless.

I remember a young man I used to work with who was worried about there being a draft and asked me if he broke his leg would he still have to go? He was serious. It was against his religion for one thing and he was scared to death for another.

I appreciate anyone willing to defend the U.S. when necessary. I also understand those who are frightened or feel it is morally wrong to kill.

So many wars, so many deaths.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I believe there is a difference in advocating war and NOT fighting.

And NOT advocating war, and NOT fighting.

Yet I've already been hit with the whole "coward" label. Just because I don't wanna be part of a hypothetical draft. I was born here in America, and unfortunately I have a habit of being more educated than the majority, out of my own decision to learn. So yeah, I notice a lot of strange thinking patterns, and I don't have the luxury of setting it all to the back-burner and fighting for something I'm not sure I believe in.

And to do it simply because you are told to believe in some sort of nationalistic/poetic/romantic ideology. Rather than, you know, facts?

"I was born with red/white/blue in my blood."

"These colors don't run."

"I will be a warrior if need be."

I don't believe these people have an understanding of the psychology of someone who doesn't wish to be any sort of militant. It baffles me.

Especially those that have freely chosen to be in the military. They believe everyone else should have no problem with it.

"It would be an honor to die like those who died before, protecting our freedoms."

I don't care to join the military, but I would fight to the death for all the people in my personal sphere.

My decision not to fight for the military is not one of cowardice. It is one of preference and choice.

------

I'm still baffled by the notion that there are Americans that think this manner of thinking is okay. It is most surprising when it becomes blindingly clear, and you point it out, but ... they don't see it themselves. It's just normal to them. I'm the one that is crazy and thinks weirdly.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
When you are forced to fight a war, remember, the odds are that the people you are going to kill are people just like you who are also forced to fight in a war.

You can bet that the people who are benefiting from the war will not be on the front line, or anywhere near it. They will be happy in their bunkers, playing us all like its Modern Warfare, while counting their ill gotten gains.

Draft? Go to hell.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I don't think that the draft, as utilized in the past, will solve our military problems. Although, I do agree that it is far too easy to take a nation to war when the impact is only felt by a demographic that, in the most part, has enlisted in the military due to a lack of other available opportunities for education, advancement, etc.. On the other hand, I agree that everyone is not cut out to fight, thank god.

Personally, I believe that every 18 yr. old, who is not physically or mentally impaired, should be required to go through basic training and then be given the choice to serve in either the military or the peace corps. for a minimum of two years total service.

I believe that basic training will instill the values of self discipline and respect into the American youth which is something they are desperately in need of today. Giving them the right to choose to serve in the peace corps. will insure that no one is forced to fight against their will.

If a mandatory draft is instituted in this manner, everyone will have fulfilled their obligation to serve and no one will be call a scum bag for not doing so.

Who knows, as millions choose to serve in a peaceful manner, they will experience and learn to respect the cultures of foreign nations and the world may become a more peaceful place because of it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm dual nationality (English/American) and personal, unless one I believed the UK or USA to be in a direct risk of invasion, I would follow the advice an American general who was the father of one of my fathers friends.
He said “If they ever draft for a war you don't want to be in you go through all the training and wait till they give you the gun THEN go awol.”

If either country was at serious risk I'd join voluntarily.

The problem with the draft is pacifist and those that don't believe in war they, should be given roles they can accept instead of being forced, because otherwise there more of a danger than an asset in a war.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

Originally posted by Iwillnever
I don't mind them drafting me as long as they don't mind me running like a p**** once I see guys next to me getting shot.

They will shoot you for that. You better run off to Europe before you are drafted.

I was exaggerating a bit, what I meant is that I'm not very brave and probably wouldn't be a very good soldier. So if they want people fighting who aren't very competent in war then I will, it's just that it seems they'd be better off having people who want to be there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join