It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada imposes sanctions on N. Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Canada imposes sanctions on N. Korea

www.cbc.ca

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in a statement that Canada's sanctions will include enhanced restrictions on trade, investment and other bilateral relations with North Korea.

The Canadian government will also suspend high-level visits to Canada by North Korean officials.

Read more: www.cbc.ca...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The Canadian government is not wishy washy on this subject whatsoever this time around. When a peace keeping nation like Canada follows the lead of it's aggressor to the south, you know it is not going to be handled in a diplomatic approach. Threats of further sanctions are no longer threats. North Korea will not stand for it, and will not bow to the power of the UN. Get ready for retaliation folks. Kim Jong-il is no pushover and he will not let his name go down in vain.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PreyBird

To be honest, I really don't think this whole North Korea thing is going to lead to an all out war. Nice to see the old PM assert something, with our big brother to the south to back us up of course. There's a lot of speculation as to what will happen, but who really knows?

It'd be hard to guess who would launch the first strike, so I'm not going to try. However, I hope this doesn't lead into a war. Perhaps if everyone was recalled from Afghanistan and the middle east we could wage a war. My guess that if there is a war (which I doubt) Canadian soldiers will be on the ground in North Korea.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
reply to post by PreyBird

It'd be hard to guess who would launch the first strike, so I'm not going to try.

Really? What cave have you been hiding in? North Korea already launched the first strike. They've been attacking the South for years, and did so again. If it had been South Korea that had sunk a North Korean vessel, the north would have used everything it had speedily. The south held back and investigated, with an international team. They studied the evidence which all points to North Korea launching yet another strike at South Korea.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I really do not think that it matters one bit!

Canada has NO clout anywhere. No country listens or takes any notice of what Canada says or does.

I am all for sanctions and and a hell of a lot more to be dished out to N.Korea but there are one or two countries also that need some real disciplining. How many wars has N. Korea started in the last 60 years? Now how many has America started. I also think America has a far worse Human Rights approach than nearly ever other country in the World. They just LIE about it.

Someone does need to do something about N.Korea and its about time a country like Canada stands up and say "you know what America and UK, I think we will handle this for a change. You just sit back on this one and let us take this one."

Maybe then the sanctions imposed by Canada might be worth more than the toilet paper I use to wipe my rusty sheriffs badge!

If other western countries started pulling their weight maybe the UK and America could concentrate on our problem in house as we know we have that to overcome soon!

Any way...Canada please lead the way for once and deal with this pest N'Korea for the rest of us. Sanctions....pffft do NOT work ever!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
So, assuming Kim has some teeth in that big mouth of his, total war should break out now, yes? Isn't that what he said? "If we are sanctioned further the result will be war!".

Bring it on Kim!

reply to post by C11H17N2NaO2S

Are you serious? As a Canadian, I should be offended to that post. But I won't, because it screams ignorance, and you obviously know nothing about Canada.

I have nothing more to say to you sir!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
When even Canada is pissed you know you are in trouble. It takes a bunch to get those guys away from their hockey and booze. Nothing scarier then some toothless men and hairy women that are now pissed off at you!

( love you Canadians and Quebecans(?) )

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Well, I wonder how Kim will respond since he has threatened war if the sanction increase... but it's Canada being allowed to lead the Charge on sanctions.

So if Kim responds with all out war because Canada puts extra sanctions on North Korea, then it's not anyone's fault (i.e US/UK) but Kims if we end up mired in another war.

I see this as either a dirty bit of manipulation by the West to prod North Korea into action or a clever bit of manipulation to ramp up sanctions in a way where all out war can not be justified.

Personally I am unsure in which direction I lean..

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
whats a joke of a country like canada doing in worldly matters. why don't they just keep their mouth shut and let real countries deal with this.

i do not remember canada being involved in anything important, if this is their attempt at being significant, its a fail.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
What is Canada trading with North Korea anyway?

Hockey pucks and bad comedy?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by enteri

They did like 14.6 billion in Crude oil exports so maybe some of it slipped from the grasp of the US and got there. We know it wasn't the 2 billion dollars worth of wheat they exported, that's for sure.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

In addition to food aid, China reportedly provides an estimated 80 to 90 percent of North Korea's oil imports at "friendly prices" that are sharply lower than the world market price.

Im not sure if North Korea could acctually afford normal oil prices. Could be though

[edit on 25/5/2010 by enteri]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
whats a joke of a country like canada doing in worldly matters. why don't they just keep their mouth shut and let real countries deal with this.

i do not remember canada being involved in anything important, if this is their attempt at being significant, its a fail.

Oh well then. The guy who can't be arsed to punctuate or capitalize doesn't remember Canada being involved in anything important. Case closed, we're a bunch of irrelevant sloths.

BTW If this post is your attempt at being significant, you're just pathetic.

new topics

top topics

join