It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Gas Mileage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
With the recent concerns of rising fuels costs that will generate a trickle down effect from not only fuel for automobiles, but also plastics industry will have to compensate for thier surge of raw material costs to create so much of what we purchase these days. CD's, DVD's, plastic cups and straws, computer components all the way down to the plastic vaccum packed packages that so many products are packaged in.

(I have a strong QA background within the plastics industry of the medical, automotive and food container related products. )

I came across at CNN a nice listing of cars that got the best gas mileage, according to government tests.

money.cnn.com...

Now, I have a little plymouth Horizion, and I am pleased to have it at this time, but looking over this listing of auto's I will need to upgrade to something and unless I am mistaken (not a auto buff) the top ten cars are not from the big usa auto industry.

This is what boggles my mind, with all the great technology available and been shown great strides by other countries in the usage of this technology, the "big boys running the show" seem to not want to push it here in the usa.

I have no proof, just my own personal gripes and feelings that the automobile industry and the big oil industry have a "game" going on in their back pockets.

but enough of my ranting.... just want to show you a listing of decent gas mileage available....

Firepoker

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Firepoker, they are not in control of their product, we are. The buyer, the consumer. They try to make us happy, and if they want to do that, they won't get green-stupid on us. They'll make sure we have cars that will go from zero to sixty in a nanosecond, and will provide us with urban assault vehicles large enough to take a small community to dinner with extra room in the back in case we come accross a busload of stranded cheerleaders along the way.
Me, I like going fast. A green car just won't do it for me. I'd rather change jobs, get closer to the house, than get a wannabe car, and that is just what I did. I am now 10 miles from work, instead of 43 miles.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Go deisel,prices are not rising, and you get awesome gas milieage

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
who cares about milage ...I drive a 1970 cougar with a 470hp 351c bored to 397 with 411 rear gears..on a good day I get around 8 mpg but man Is it a blast to drive...it'll run low10's in a quarter mile with good gas
..I should add that I do also drive a 86 honda VF700 to counter the bad milage of my car

[edit on 8-6-2004 by deadcatsrule]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I can understand, owning something cherry. The first car I ever had was a 5 speed chevette diesel( not cherry
) and it was well something different, but gas was .89 cents a gal. then in 1988/89.

Still the Lupo, according to that site states : Although VW currently has no plans to sell either the 3 Liter Lupo or the Polo TDI in the US, Volkswagen of America will consider test marketing it if there is a demonstrated interest.

Were is the USA made car that is its rival?

I can understand also having some pepp, but when that fastest legally in the US you can go is 65( maybe 75 somewhere in the vast stretch in the desert) and most places you travel is 55 is the posted limit and runing around town/city is 25-35 limit. And unfortunatly its not like the duke's of hazard any more.. once you cross that state line.. there will be someone still chasing you..lol..

Something like with would be idea.. in my opinion...

Firepoker

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firepoker
but when that fastest legally in the US you can go is 65( maybe 75 somewhere in the vast stretch in the desert) and most places you travel is 55 is the posted limit and runing around town/city is 25-35 limit.

Holy crap, that's really slow. You barely need cars at all!

Most of my drive to work is done between 80 and 100 mph. I can't imagine all the cars doing 55. Even the police drive at 80 on the roads here, which really slows down my journey if I get stuck behind one. I get about 60 miles to the gallon in my new Ford Focus 1.8 litre turbo diesel, even with the aircon on full. It's fairly swift too.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone wonder about the lack of effort on the part of US vehicle manufacturers to increase fuel efficiency combined with the US government's nearly obvious efforts to secure the world's oil reserves for their own use? Come on, Honda and Toyota have quickly demonstrated that changing the energy source of a vehicle can be a profitable endeavor in only a few years, yet US automakers continually lobby lawmakers to ensure that greater fuel efficiency standards are not passed in the US claiming the re-engineering of their lines would be too expensive. Few, if any, federally sponsored alternative energy research initiatives exist (before you blast me on that one, I'm speaking comparatively against total federal research funds). It seems the goal is to get folks to use, to need gas, then to secure all sources of gas and run the show.

The car manufacturer/lawmaker two step is a little too coreographed to not be intentional.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

top topics

join