It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Based Thread Limit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I am referring to the newest threads list, which I use more than the recent posts list. I don't think they should change that list at all. I also think that breaking news should be allowed to be posted more than regular threads because, obviously, if you have to wait it won't be breaking news anymore. Thread posts are already somewhat regulated because you have to post 20 times first. But then its sort of like tenure IMO. You get free reign to post threads all day long, which can be good or bad. I think it would be beneficial to extend this reasoning (20+ posts before thread) to contribution levels. Then have less and less limitations for posting new threads within a timeframe. That way new threads have a chance of being discussed before they are pushed off the newest threads list, and contributors of quality information will be allowed to post threads as they see fit anyway. Also, if a new thread gets no replies it won't be in the recent posts list anyway...

[edit on 25-5-2010 by time91]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91
I didn't say stop all threads, just put a reasonable limit on it. I think what I laid out before (contribution-based thread limit) would work to allow the free flow of information because those who post quality threads will get contribution levels quickly anyway, and it will prevent new members from posting multiple threads with just a one or two liner, or a question. Like I said, I can see both sides here but I do think this would have an overall positive effect.

One line and minimal posts are against the T&C already. There's no need for a thread starting limit to fix that issue. Just hit the alert button to draw the mods attention to threads that have one sentence as the OP and they'll take care of it if it's something that does break the T&C.

There are many factors that can cause a great thread to drop of the first page of recent posts. Time, day of the week, month, season, how many active threads are still getting posts, etc. I've written several threads that dropped completely off the first page and I thought had died before they were even seen, only to return a day later and find that someone had found the thread and revived it. I've written several others that only got one or two responses and then died completely. It all depends on who's online when you start one and how interested they are in the topic you post about. If it's a good/interesting topic, people will find the thread no matter how far back on the recent posts list it is.

<< 1   >>

join