It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Based Thread Limit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I am wondering if the admins here could put in a limit on posting new threads within a time frame. It wouldn't even have to be that strict, something like no more than 1 new thread per hour, 5 per every 24 hours. The reason I think we should do this is because some members post lots of threads without a lot of effort which may push new threads down the list. Once that happens it is unlikely they will get any real feedback and will probably never be responded to, wasting hard work. I think it could also force members to (hopefully) put real effort into new threads and it would improve the overall quality of new information being posted here. Anyone else agree?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What do you mean push new threads down?

In the recent post list?

That's not based on new threads, it's based on active threads, the newest reply gets to the top of the list.

I dont' think putting in a limit of thread making would do anything, other than frustrate people and prevent them from making threads.

Take me for example, I post a lot of news stories. Sometimes up to 10 a day, if I was limited in doing so, I would reach my limit in the first hour of my daily ATS time, and then not bother putting in work towards my own personal threads.

Some people get ideas and need to get them out quickly. The point of ATS is not only the quality of the OP, but the overall quality of the thread brought my ATS members in the discussion following the OP.

~Keeper

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

I agree with you on this.

You see a lot of threads with 2 lines usually asking a question.

BS threads , and usually no follow up by the OP.

When I see these , I usually avoid all of the members threads.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I mean the newest threads list, the other one on the home page is fine. I know some (like you) post news threads often, maybe we could expand it to 2 threads an hour, 10 a day or something. Possibly we could make it based on the contribution levels. That way as you move up you would have a larger limit, like bronze= 3 an hour, 15 a day; silver=4 an hour, 15 a day. Gold and above=unlimited. Same thing with subject matter experts (unlimited). Just my idea, it gets annoying seeing threads with almost no information pushing more detailed threads down sometimes.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I concur. Quality at ATS has to be an issue of paramount importance. I have been visiting the site far less frequently because of the severe decline in quality. Ever since day one I tried to make every post, to say nothing of ever thread, count. Unfortunately, not everyone shares my opinions on quality.

I would be more strict about it though. A one thread a day limit should be imposed unless a person has proven themselves worthy of two via the usual gaining of stars, flags, applause, and posts within those created threads. Maybe bronze, silver, or gold could be the "rank" requirement.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91

I mean the newest threads list, the other one on the home page is fine. I know some (like you) post news threads often, maybe we could expand it to 2 threads an hour, 10 a day or something. Possibly we could make it based on the contribution levels. That way as you move up you would have a larger limit, like bronze= 3 an hour, 15 a day; silver=4 an hour, 15 a day. Gold and above=unlimited. Same thing with subject matter experts (unlimited). Just my idea, it gets annoying seeing threads with almost no information pushing more detailed threads down sometimes.

sorry for the long quote but I wanted to repost it to
show just what I was voting for.

I like the above proposition and would vote for it.
Cuz I do find a lot of BS threads, hmmmm
now how to get around that one.
Maybe have a mod approve of the thread
before it gets posted to the forum or
is that already being done???

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

I agree with you, but I can also see it from the point of view tothetenth power stated. That being posting multiple news threads every day. But I do think we need a strict thread limit to start. Maybe like you said 1 thread per day until you achieve at least apprentice or solid, maybe even bronze, and then move it up from there to 2 a day, and then make it higher progressively. Quality is only going down because good threads often get lost, and 1 paragraph threads provoking emotional response get many responses.

reply to post by boondock-saint

I don't think mods approve new threads...
The thread limit would be more universal and mods wouldn't have to look over every thread so I think it has a higher chance of being implemented. The thread approval is a good idea but it could lead to many users becoming frustrated...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Seems like that would just limit the flow of information more than it would help encourage people to post quality threads and would pretty much defeat the purpose of the site. What you see as a BS thread, I may see as one with some merit and vice-versa. ATS isn't some exclusive club where only the opinions and thoughts of the few matter.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I saw a member posting 10 threads an hour the other day , so i asked a Mod about it and he said " as long as they quote correctly and ad personal feedback, it did not violate T&C or TOS.........

But it still pushed many good threads off the front page rather quickly..

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
My own experience is that if you have authored an original thread (non-news story, non-YouTube) and it’s compelling, well written and well laid out, members will find it and participate in it, regardless of how much fluff and junk has been posted that day.

If you have authored a thread that is truly worth attention, send out some U2U’s to people on your friend list and let them know you have published a new thread. Chances are if they have selected you as a friend, they will be happy to check it out, and flag and comment on it.

Ultimately if you want maximum exposure you want to get enough flags to carry your thread to the front page. You have 19 hours from the time you post it to make it there. If you can garner enough flags or replies you can stay on the front page for a minimum of three more days, even a week or even three months.

Junk threads sometimes make it to the front page on a slow day, but they don’t stay there for more than a few hours, great threads can stay there up to 90 days.

Challenge yourself to make great threads with great opening pieces and you really don’t have to worry about challenging other people to post or not post threads of their own.

It’s like in sales; your raise becomes effective when you do!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I can see both sides in this suggestion.

Only yesterday, I saw about 3 or 4 new threads by the same member within a very short space of time, although this member is a well respected person and all the threads were very interesting in their own right.

Then again there are an element of people, mostly new people who are posting new threads willy nilly and they are sometimes just one liners.

Maybe there should be a cap on how many threads you can post until you reach certain levels of Stars/Flags etc......

I think there are lots of members who genuinly work hard to post many threads that are of good quality and also there are many members who are very good at digging up breaking news as it happens before others.

g

[edit on 24-5-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I agree..
I've plenty of threads with alot of potential get washed down the sewer because of a bunch of crap threads.

I, myself like to look at the "newest threads" list on the right-hand side of the screen.

But of course a bunch of "go nowhere" or BTS type threads end up pushing something good away.

Good idea.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

How long do you wait? I have seen some where it takes the OP a week to reply, but who knows, maybe they are just busy.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Bang-on. Who determines what a quality post is? I have read lots of them; I just move on.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I didn't say stop all threads, just put a reasonable limit on it. I think what I laid out before (contribution-based thread limit) would work to allow the free flow of information because those who post quality threads will get contribution levels quickly anyway, and it will prevent new members from posting multiple threads with just a one or two liner, or a question. Like I said, I can see both sides here but I do think this would have an overall positive effect.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91

Yeah, that seems more fair I guess.

Some will cry special privelege, to those who have Gold status or whatever, but hey, I earned my blue bar

I change my mind, I'm in, with the above response..

~Keeper

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I would be more inclined to have "thread consolidations". I mean, how many thready do we need on 2012, chemtrails, etc... It's not like there is new information coming to light on most topics outside of breaking news.

I would rather see a method of shutting down new threads on redundant topics, giving the MODS the ability to merge comments from the redundant thread into an existing "official" thread.

Yeah, some people are relentless at posting new threads, BUT...if they are not redundant, then more power to them.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thanks for the response. One of the reasons I thought we should do this was that I have been reading Crossing the Rubicon (by Mike Ruppert) and studying the history of oil. I spent a considerable amount of time putting together a thread, only to see it pushed off the newest threads list by a series of speculative threads, with almost no information, and usually a few sentences long.
Here it is: The Thread
I even put it in my signature that day, and I don't usually U2U. I read a 4-page very detailed post about how high ranking nazi's escaped, where they escaped to, who helped them, what some of them were trying to do post-war, etc. get pushed off the list by the same thing.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Some of the best threads come from people who post a lot, like multiple times a day, and honestly I am impressed that they keep up with the news that quickly.

While I read the breaking news, and comment there most often, I don't dare even try to post a thread, because so many are so good at it already.

I don't know, maybe I sleep to late, and I am just more than happy responding, and giving an opinion.

I don't notice the people who post threads in breaking news, being repetative, or posting junk. If they do, it sinks to the bottom quickly, and that is rare.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

While I certainly can understand your reasoning, I do not agree with it.

As I've explained to a few people, ATS is set up like a rotisserie, rolls around.

Quality, is in the eye of the beholder, and person replying.

I have seen and as well authored many threads over my time on ATS.

With what you're referring to, how a thread lowers in the Recent Posts section, is at times frustrating, dependent upon the time of day.

Here's a thread, authored by a newer member, like yourself, who's wondering similar things like you are, and by a newer member, I am referring to anyone who has been on ATS less than a year, no offense meant.

Question for members who participate

There are many people who share their ideas, reasons, etc on there, myself included.

While I can certainly understand your reasoning, I do not agree, telling you again, to explain it here, being that it is a reduction of over all freedom.

If we were required to wait for 1 hour, or 1 day, to post a new thread, ATS would be seen as a waste of time by many people, all message boards would be seen as much more viable solutions, and ATS would lose all of its quality contributors, something I do not see ATS wanting to do.

Realize, the "rotisserie effect" of the Recent Posts is not always a plus.

I got accused of shutting down my thread, because a newer person felt I was a part of an Undercover Operation, taking down Hutaree, because of the every changing nature of the "rotisserie effect", so having been on the receiving end of that, and I still disagree with it shows my thoughts.

I got a good laugh out of that accusation too.

I feel quality contributors will gain their own patterns of posting styles.

1 thread in an hour, 1 in a day, 1 in a week, it is up to each of us.

Not some limitation which strips us of rights when so many people have issues with the somewhat already strict terms and conditions, not speaking of myself there, but through having seen people complain, whine, and over all make a nuissance of themselves because of not following rules.

While I am sure some may agree with you there is just as many who will see you now as a troublemaker, because of you trying to limit their rights.

I am not labeling you as such, trust me, but I've seen the people who walk these message boards now for five years, and some people cannot be pleased.

Remember, sharing your ideas is fine, but limiting others is seen as tyranny.

And as well always remember to keep following the terms and conditions.

Through that always listening to Administration, Moderators, and veteran posters.

None of those people will steer you wrong.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join