It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN and US Counter-Terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Why doesn't the NA-47 Office of Nuclear Counter-Terrorism answer to the Department of Defense instead of the NNSA? It would require DoD assets to perform any actual operations in support of this mission, right?

Not only that, but why does the NA-47 have an operating section at the Cern facility? If they have the assigned task that is reported, should we be concerned about where the spent nuclear fuels from the CERN Large Hadron Collider are going?

After all, the NNSA should not be responsible for activities at CERN, by their own unclassified charter documents.

Who does the NA-47 work for?

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Truth1000]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Does anyone understand what the NNSA does?

What do you think NA-47 does?

Does anyone realize what the NA-47 could mean for the U.S. military?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
First I have heard of this. Can you provide some sources?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
You will need to log in to read the entire article:

Safety Nuclear: Topics by WorldWideScience.org ... to establish implementation direction for the cooperation between KINS and NNSA as ... Ewa has been involved in many experiments at CERN (NA37, NA47, NA58, and, more recently, NA61 ...
[NOTE: NA-47, not to mention NA-61]

In a related article:

worldwidescience.org/topicpages/s/Safety+Nuclear.html · Cached pageNuclear Safety: Topics by WorldWideScience.org
Best estimate safety analysis for nuclear power plants$$buncertainty evaluation. CERN Document ... research to build a foundation for nuclear cooperation between Korea and China (KINS-NNSA)

For curiosity's sake:

worldwidescience.org/topicpages/n/Nuclear+Safety.html · Cached pagecyclops.marine.usf.edu
... dó≥╕,║~╣ù*║wt╜óF¼∙ázF┐#c[┤ *√o÷ÿ═π╒æ≤3zX╣╚÷@δ*πüLó**0g╞πh┬x @^P U&îçu-πß¡*╦Γy ƒ *=╢9?*┴x(kΣÿOk~î*cérn ...

In another related article for the NNSA:

The National Ignition Facility : Status and Plans for Laser Fusion and High-Energy-Density Experimental Studies / Moses, E I
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) currently under construction at the University of California Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is a 192-beam, 1.8-megajoule, 500-terawatt, 351-nm laser for inertial confinement fusion (ICF) and high-energy-density experimental studies. NIF is being built by the Department of Energy and the National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA) to provide an experimental test bed for the U.S. ...

From the NNSA:

Counterterrorism
Intro:
NNSA ensures that capabilities are in place to respond to any NNSA and Department of Energy facility emergency. It is also the nation's premier responder to any nuclear or radiological incident within the United States or abroad and provides operational planning and training to counter both domestic and international nuclear terrorism.
Nuclear Counterterrorism Program Mission
NNSA's Nuclear Counterterrorism (NCT) Program, in concert with other offices in the Department of Energy, as well as other domestic and international government agencies, develops and implements pre-emptive strategies to eliminate terrorist improvised nuclear device (IND) threats through assessment of vulnerabilities and through identification and development of appropriate protective measures. The NCT Program contributes to this effort by:

•Anticipating and preventing non-essential dissemination of IND design information;
•Identifying and characterizing potential IND material and designs that pose a threat to U.S. citizens, assets, and infrastructure;
•Characterizing the IND threat through intelligence and material security analysis;
•Identifying signatures of sensitive IND designs and developing technologies to detect and characterize these threats; and
•Identifying vulnerabilities in sensitive IND designs and developing technologies for render-safe and consequence mitigation.
Nuclear Counterterrorism Campaign Vision
The NCT campaign vision is to identify and understand improvised nuclear device threats and to prevent or mitigate the consequences of such threats.

Near-term goal:

•Provide detection and render-safe solutions for the non-stockpile nuclear weapons threats.
Intermediate-term goal:

•Support implementation and provide guidance for enhancements on global nuclear material security requirements.
Long-term goals:

•Facilitate change in the global nuclear fuel cycle and other nuclear material processes to eliminate sources of IND threats; and
•Delay dissemination and disclosure of IND weapons design information.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Truth1000]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Speech
Administrator D'Agostino's Remarks at the National Defense University Forum Congressional Breakfast Seminar
May 4, 2010

As we speak, we are working in more than 100 countries around the world to improve security at nuclear sites, secure nuclear materials, and prevent nuclear smuggling by installing radiation detection equipment at ports, airports and border crossings around the world. [NOTE: Around the world - emphasis mine]

We are disposing of excess U.S. and international fissile materials. The signing of the revised US-Russian Plutonium Disposition Agreement is a major step forward in this regard, as is the recent announcement that Russia will permanently close its last weapons-grade plutonium producing reactor at Zheleznogorsk. At NNSA, we have been working for several years to close these reactors and replace them with fossil fuel burning plants.

At NNSA and the Department of Energy, we are working to promote civil nuclear power in a way that is consistent with nonproliferation objectives, including by strengthening the international safeguards system and developing new safeguards technologies, expertise, policies, concepts, and partnerships.

And we are developing highly sensitive and wide-area nuclear materials detection technology.

All of these efforts are supported by the unparalleled technical capabilities located within our Nuclear Security Enterprise, in particular the three nuclear weapons laboratories. That is one of the reasons the President’s FY2011 budget request for NNSA is so important to implementing the full range of our nuclear security mission.

For NNSA Organizational Chart:

www.nnsa.energy.gov...

- Office of Nuclear Counterterrorism - Randall R. Weidman - NA-47Office

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
NA-61 is the NNSA Office of Diversity Programs.

Sounds nice and friendly, doesn't it?

So can anyone start to see what I'm getting at here?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Let me explain a bit.

Under the name of "nuclear safety," "they" are infiltrating personnel into most of the nuclear facilities in the world. By doing so, we are gaining access to some of the most important strategic sites in the world. With the eventual control of these sites, they will control a large portion of the energy production for electricity. Even when other sources generate a majority of the electricity, a sudden shut-down of the nuclear facilities could temporarily cripple a nation's electrical systems. And this is just the start.

NA-47 is a U.S. agency. Yet, if the ties are researched, they are part of a "system" that is crawling across the planet, gaining hidden power in insidious ways.

And this is just the tip of the iceburg!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Im not trying to be a pain, but wouldn't the higher ups in all the countries this is speaking of see what is going on with the infiltration of their sites by any department of the United States and not allow it?
I don't know alot about this sort of thing, but if they have all the access to the power on big E, we wouldn't need an "EMP from the motherin sun to tear the digital down..."

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is being done at a level that the elected officials never see. When there are directorates that function at a level that are not directly represented in the Cabinet, the President never has an opportunity to find out. This is supposedly a DOE function, but is operating way outside of DOE functional areas.

Not only that, just think about Truman. Until Roosevelt died, even as the Vice President he had never heard of the Manhattan Project. Most people outside the government have ne comprehension of the levels, upon levels, upon levels of how classified and covert functions work.

When you see an operational chain-of-command chart where offices are buried way deep in departmental cellars, but are "misplaced" for what their duties are, those offices are there FOR A REASON!!!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The U.S. routinely proffers out nuclear security assets to help insure stockpiles, plants, and anything else deemed as a possible nuclear energy/research asset. In some instances that means boots on the ground for places and countries that do not have the ability to effectively lockdown these assets. Other times, it is merely security consultation. Either way the country in question would have to agree and want aid. Case in point, Pakistan and the U.S. have a tentive agreement to include a QRF (Quick Reaction Force) in the event Pak's nuclear arsenal is compromised by jihadis or a coup. We also advise Pak on how to effectively secure there plants and weapons from that eventuality.

As for CERN, I can only speculate, that there are some highly knowledgable persons that are employed there that may or may not be a target for kidnapping. I understand the use of CERN and what they are searching for, but maybe someone else can explain what kind of damage would be done by somoe catastrophic explosion while in mid experiment.

So NA-61 the office of diversity, is there looking for more "diverse" energy solutions, huh? Sounds like wanting either anti-matter weapons or observing for possible new breakthroughs to weaponize.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by djvexd]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If the NA-61 were part of the section of the Department of Energy related to the production of energy, I might buy that (alternative energy types and sources). However, they are not in the proper agency to receive such a tasking. That should be of interest.

On a grander scale, though, how does the NNSA have the actual CAPABILITIES to provide nuclear protection? Exactly what forces do they control, in order to be able to provide protection of nuclear facilities? Do they have any soldiers? Tanks? Aircraft? Surveillence capabilities? Satellite assets? Since there are no actual forces at their disposal, what does the SSNA actually do?

If you go back to my original post, I again ask why the SSNA is in the DOE instead of the DoD? Since this was far from a random act, there is a reasoning behind that decision. But what was it? Who made that decision?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Alot of their security forces are contracted out to Wackenhut G4S. (I tried to get a job wiht them as a nuke guard once, but required military experience with auto weapons, prefered spec ops)
Noticed I said weaponization.
Energy Diversity is a fun new way to say new ways to kill people. From what I can gleen from thier site and 2009 Fy Budget, more htan likely they are not placed under DoD simply for the fact of our treaty with Russia would require a non-military, seperate regulator to ensure that 'intel" isn't being collected by a military entity. Although if they happen to come across "something" the DoD is probably on speed-dial. As it looks NNSA , while has some DoD looking programs, alot of them center around the "destruction" de-enriching of weapons grade radiologicals. NA-61 may be like I said keeping an eye out to ensure, since so may scientists from so many countries work at CERN, that no one gets a bright idea and slip out useful research or intel to weaponize.
NNSA FY 2009 Budget
NNSA website

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Wackenhut is an NGO (see other thread on NGOs). As part of my duties when I worked at Cape Canaveral AFS, I held certain oversight authority on many contractors, including Wackenhut. Among many other duties, they also provided base operations and security at the Ben Guerir Air Base, Morocco, which served as a Transoceanic Abort Landing (TAL) site for the space shuttle. I went there six times in my position as oversight officer on inspections. They also performed the same duties at the TAL site outside of Banjul, The Gambia, where I also visited under the same circumstances.

Wackenhut has all of their "open" contractor duties for the U.S. military and NASA, as well as a number of classified duties worldwide.

You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge, djvexd!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The people in NNSA are the equivalent of the "intelligence officers".

They know nuclear technology. They won't be shooting armed terrorists, there are other people who are good at that. They have to be able to distinguish the particular radioactive signatures of various kinds of legal and illegal nuclear materials; most of the specific technology related to nuclear weapons is classified. Some of it relates to specific technical characteristics of weapons designs and fabrication, hence the classification level.

Think more like "ghostbusters"---nerds in white vans with lots of equipment in them---and not GI Joe. It makes perfect sense that this part of the mission is with DOE and not DOD.

If there is an office at CERN, my guess is that it is because there is a technical interchange relating to the technology of particle detectors and software simulation.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Thank you. That is a good explanation. My only concern is not that they are there, as we should pay close attention to what is happening. It is just "who" is there that concerns me.

It would be like if the police were guarding a parade route. Regular police officers guard the entire route, except for one two-block area, in which only detectives are present there. Why would detectives be protecting that particular two-block part of the parade route?

Good answer, though!

top topics

join