It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea puts military on combat readiness

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Here is the Wiki for anyone that is not aware:

Kim Jong-il is the Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army and Chairman of the National Defence Commission of North Korea. The Korean People's Army (KPA) is the name for the collective armed personnel of the North Korean military. The army has four branches: Ground Force, Naval Force, Air Force, and the Artillery Guidance Bureau. According to the U.S. Department of State, North Korea has the fifth-largest army in the world, at an estimated 1.21 million armed personnel, with about 20% of men aged 17–54 in the regular armed forces.[64]

North Korea has the highest percentage of military personnel per capita of any nation in the world, with approximately 1 enlisted soldier for every 25 citizens.[65] Military strategy is designed for insertion of agents and sabotage behind enemy lines in wartime,[64] with much of the KPA's forces deployed along the heavily fortified Korean Demilitarized Zone. The Korean People's Army operates a very large amount of equipment, including 4,060 tanks, 2,500 APCs, 17,900 artillery pieces (incl. mortars), 11,000 air defence guns in the Ground force; at least 915 vessels in the Navy and 1,748 aircraft in the Air Force,[66] as well as some 10,000 MANPADS and anti-tank guided missiles.[67] The equipment is a mixture of World War II vintage vehicles and small arms, widely proliferated Cold War technology, and more modern Soviet weapons. According to official North Korean media, planned military expenditures for 2009 are 15.8% of GDP.[68]

North Korea has nuclear and ballistic missile weapons programs and has been subject to United Nations Security Council resolutions 1695 of July 2006, 1718 of October 2006, and 1874 of June 2009, for carrying out both missile and nuclear tests. North Korea probably has fissile material for up to 9 nuclear weapons,[69] and has the capability to deploy nuclear warheads on intermediate-range ballistic missiles.[70]

North Korea also sells its missiles and military equipment overseas. In April 2009 the United Nations named the Korea Mining and Development Trading Corporation (aka KOMID) as North Korea's primary arms dealer and main exporter of equipment related to ballistic missiles and conventional weapons. It also named Korea Ryonbong as a supporter of North Korea's military related sales.[71]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq

Originally posted by Skellon
Where on earth are people getting this idea that North Korea is a push over and will lose within a week or two in a war?

North Korea has one of the densest redundant air defence networks in the world.

The losses in taking the fight to North Korea would be severe unless you nuked them.

Their tech is mostly 70's-80's era but do not for a second think they are a push over.

Think of Kim as a 'Turtle' strategy player. He is missile defence crazy. This guy is the type to have a SAM site in his bathroom.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Skellon]

You don't think the military knows that? You don't think that there are already strategic plans in place to deal with that threat?

When the US initiated Operations Desert Shield/Storm in 90/91, Iraq was said to have the best integrated Anti-Air network outside of Russia.

The fighting was over in about 6 weeks, while taking minimal losses. Also remember that they too had a million+ man army, vs the US deployed force of ~250,000. Numbers don't matter with superior tactics and weaponry.

Fast forward 13 years later to the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Baghdad fell in 3 weeks.

That was 7 years ago...

With NK having approximately the same tech as Saddam had (maybe slightly more advanced in some areas), I would be careful as to where you place your bets.

Still, IMO if a war was going to break out over this it would've already happened. Unless there's another incident I wouldn't count on anything coming of it.

I don't care if "getting rid of the North" sounds like a great idea; their leader is a nutjob and there's no doubt that there would be a lot of collateral damage as a result of a war over there. Many civilian lives would be lost on both sides, so lets pray nothing happens...

What the hell are you on about?

Where did I say I don't think that the military already knows this?

Iran and North Korea are a different ball game to Iraq.....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There is so much BS on this BB sometimes that it boggles the mind.

If anyone honestly thinks that war with North Korea will be easy must also think that its possibly to fart your way to the moon.

North Korea essentially is a walnut surrounded by thousands of artillery pieces.

You may crack and get at it but you are going to loose lots in the process.

Don't even get me started on civilian casualties.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
There is so much BS on this BB sometimes that it boggles the mind.

If anyone honestly thinks that war with North Korea will be easy must also think that its possibly to fart your way to the moon.

North Korea essentially is a walnut surrounded by thousands of artillery pieces.

You may crack and get at it but you are going to loose lots in the process.

Don't even get me started on civilian casualties.

Well said.

I totally agree with you but it seems that some just invent their own version of reality.

As put by AllexxisF1 Nk is essentially a fortress of a military target.
One of the reasons why Obama was careful to exclude it from his new WMD policy of only using them in defence.

Any military planner worth their salt would nuke NK as an opponent in war as the losses from engaging the country in conventional combat will be excessive in the eyes of the American people to say the least.

At the very least, it would be another Vietnam unless they used tactical nukes.

Before any wise guy calls me a warmonger, I am speaking from the point of discussing this issue with military logic.

I do not wish for people to die and I do not relish the thought of war.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ya know what? I just wish that China would tell there lil brother to chill and knock it off, Thats what we are trying to China to do but they refuse, I understand they are allies but we put our allies in the right direction when needed I mean what does China have to lose(except alot of our business) North Korea wont do anything. China is there only buddy really!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This article may be more relevant at a second glance...

Airmen train Japanese pilots for air-to-air refueling

by Ed Gulick
18th Wing Public Affairs

5/24/2010 - KADENA AIR BASE, Japan (AFNS) -- "Japanese and U.S. airmen are working together to certify about 20 Japanese Air Self Defense Force pilots in day and night air refueling here.

Airmen here have been training JASDF F-15 Eagle pilots since 2003.

The training comes as Japanese pilots from Naha and Hyakuri air bases prepare to fly across the Pacific to participate in a Red Flag Alaska exercise in June at Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska.

Red Flag Alaska is a large coalition exercise that involves many aircraft in complex missions. The exercise provides U.S. and coalition forces an opportunity to train together, improving readiness for wartime coalition missions.

In order to be certified, each pilot must successfully complete at least two daytime and two nighttime air refueling flights after completing several hours of classroom work.

"I believe this training is one of our most important missions, as we will continue to work with the U.S. and enhance interoperability in the future," said JASDF Lt. Col. Eiji Kitigawa, the305th Tactical Fighter Squadron commander at Hyakuri AB.

The training began May 9 and during the two weeks of training, some of the pilots have progressed from performing their first-ever air refueling to becoming fully certified."

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
They are all in bed together playing with each other. All these embred bastards minds are f---ed up and they really think all this is real and that they really run the world and it's people. people are getting fed up with their $hit and are starting to fight back. i don't know if it is shown on the U.S. news or not as I don't get my info from here in the US where I live. I get it from other news sources, 6 others to be exact. This way I at least know a fraction of what is going on with-out having to be there.Anyway,these banksters and crooks and ruling elite, I believe, are getting ready to pull the plug and use us peons as cannon fodder. I hope all military people around the world are smart enough to quit and get out of this mess when it all blows up. If all the military people in every country would refuse to fight there could be no war. i know it's all an illusion but there is no need to screw the illusion up with all this war and such. Just my 5 cents worth.....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This couldn't be any more obvious that this is a forced war. No matter the stupidity of N.Korea. They might act arrogant about it. But I can pretty much see the awkwardness between the two states.
Just another tet offensive or Lusitania like excuse for war.
This is rediculous. Both states know what is goin to happen when war starts. Guess it's just one more thing to watch.

I get to watch gulf burn and I get to watch the Koreans destroy themselves with the help of the US and Russia

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CUin2013?
I tried to find a webcam of the DMZ a few minutes ago and just got a series of error messages when I tried to load a couple.

Anyone know where we can find a working one?

Hey I have not check all of these out, but checkout this page: www.webworldcam.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
www.reuters.com...

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has told his military it may have to go to war but only if the South attacks first, according to a South Korea-based group which monitors the hermit state.

"We do not hope for war but if South Korea, with the U.S. and Japan on its back, tries to attack us, Kim Jong-il has ordered us to finish the task of unification left undone during the ... (Korean) war,"

ooooboy o boy o boy...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by TheCoffinman]

Well, Duh.. They are not like the South.
One more shot from SK at a NK boat would set them off big time.

btw, if this is full combat readiness that means the subs are all out and the air strips are full and gearing up the planes and posturing tanks...

This is an expensive move for a poor country. I do understand the North Koreans are ready to fight for their country at any cost, but yeah...

This a BIG move and this is really going to happen.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by CanadianDream420]

OH GOODIE

About bloody time too, something to watch on Fox with a few Beers.

Rock on SK and the US, show Little Kim who's boss!

Getting a bit sick of all these childess threats from leaders with no balls !!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Iraq posed no threat to us.
Iran poses no threat to us.

North Korea? They actually pose a threat. When they threaten the United States, then it's time to get involved. We need to do all in our power to defeat the empire of Kim Jong Ill. However, it won't be easy and it won't be clean. The government teaches their citizens the United States is an evil empire (well, they may not be that inaccurate lol) who tortured, raped and executed Korean men, women and children. The propaganda is quite breathtaking actually.

If we indeed went to war with the North, I assure you, what Iraqi insurgents did and are doing to our soldiers in the Middle East will look like child's play compared to what the Koreans would do to our troops.

I hope there is no future war but I believe it might be inevitable. Although, rumors about war with them have been surfacing for how many years now?

Either way, it's a country that needs to be dealt with. Millions are starving to death because of Kim and many are being tortured and raped and murdered in camps as we speak.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
www.ynetnews.com...

North Korea's decision on Tuesday to sever all ties with the South is "odd" and not in the best long-term interests of North Korea's people, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

North Korea is hardly an empire. And no real threat to the US.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

"Another thing that bothers me, is the apathetic stance I am often confronted with when I talk to many people about my concerns.

The stance is always something like-

"This happens all the time"...or, "dude it doesn't matter it's no big deal", or "your a doom-sayer stop looking too deep into everything".

Things seem pretty weird right now, and I do not feel overly comfortable with pretending this is "business as usual" or "regular happenings"."

Sheep do not like to be disturbed while they are grazing.

I think you may have encountered some human looking sheep.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

What you must worry about is the apparent ease with which North Korea deploys sleeper agents and cells around the world in states that it deems as potential foes.

South Korea is infiltrated with a large amount of these kinds, and they will most certainly compromise any military movement by forces in opposition to North Korea by relaying information, and carrying out sabotage.

If the war starts and proceeds to a stage where the North Korean regime is in fear of being overthrown, such sleeper agents in the continental United States may unleash attacks with precision and synchronization that far exceeds the likes of 9/11.
Which may lead to racial profiling in the US and action amounting to US use weapons of mass destruction on the Korean peninsula?
This may trigger a Chinese response?

Lets hope sense prevails and both sides back down.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3

Our only real hope with China is that they may realize we are
their number one customer and I had hoped they would simply
roll into North Korea and end the problem for the benefit of
the whole world.

Of course that would be the best way for things to work out,
but likely not how the world usually works.

I think most North Koreans were ready for something better
after their semi-recent 100 to 1 currency revaluation.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

As I said in another post elsewhere if this does go into a war you
can bet ppl not elected had a lot to do with it beginning.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
This may sound like a really dumb question but:

Isn´t this a problem basically between SKorea and NKorea?
Why don't other countries just let them war it out or whatever they want to do instead of meddling and turning this into a greater conflict?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika
This may sound like a really dumb question but:

Isn´t this a problem basically between SKorea and NKorea?
Why don't other countries just let them war it out or whatever they want to do instead of meddling and turning this into a greater conflict?

That's a fair question.

I'd suggest the following:

1) A war between NK and SK will almost certainly not be constrained to those two countries. NK has stated emphatically in the past that it will open fire on US forces, as well as Japan. It has also mentioned Taiwan, but not recently. If fired on, US forces will react. Possibly Japanese forces as well - but that would face a lot of negative reaction from South Korea. The meddling you see at this point is people trying to avoid this situation.

2) A war between NK and SK would result in a catastrophic loss of life, based on extremely reliable intel regarding the artillery lining the DMZ. Metropolitan Seoul - population 25 million, give or take - is especially at risk. The city is too large to evacuate. I've seen casualty estimates in excess of 1 million, given a nighttime attack. That's not over the course of a multi-year conflict, that's between the time it takes for the barrage to start and be defeated by airstrikes. Here again, a situation to be avoided.

3) A war in the region - even if it was somehow limited to those two countries - would destabilize the economy of the region for as long as the conflict lasts. No one wants that, hence the meddling.

4) NK is a mess. Re-unification is impossible because the south can't shoulder the load, and because the NK people see themselves as the natural masters of the South. That's why there has been this process of ongoing containment over the past few years - no one has a plan for how to deal with the situation of the regime stands down. The hope seems to be that the regime will gradually ease the people into some kind of cultural opening - but at this point, that's not too likely. If a war is fought, these problems will have to be faced very quickly - and whoever wins the war will wind up picking up the tab - and that includes countries that have been brought into the conflict, like the USA.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1

No war is easy, ask any service person, they will tell you. However, there are varying degrees of hardship in war terms and regardless of how much equipment is tapped in the theatre the ultimate question is 'how much fight is in the people'

Given that the N Koreans are mostly brainwashed and their families lives on the line their heart may be in the fight, but given that they have not had any live combat for nearly 60 years means they are tacitly at a major disadvantage before they even start.

The reason so many people fear NK is not the number of munitions, it's how crazy little kimmy is. He would think nothing of sending a few thousand people to their deaths knowing full well they would die for nothing more than his own pride.

Kim won't be allowed to use nukes, the nuke sites will be the first targets to get hit, any mobile launch vehicles would be destroyed before they were able to deploy.

Finally, have all of you forgotten that the F-117 Nighthawk stealth bomber was operational 10 years before the public knew about it.... What do we have today that we are not fully aware of?

I would have thought NK being 60 years behind in battle tech regardless of how many units they have, really won't have a hope in hell of winning a war with the west.

BTW Did you know that if you were past the gravitational grasp of the earth, and you could survive long enough in a space suit and could direct your gas outwards, it is perfectly possible to fart your way to the moon in a retro jet kind of way

All the best,

Korg.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
The BBC has outright claimed that North Korea sank the boat and they have the proof which us undeniable !

Ok..........

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join