It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Has Been called Into Middle Tennessee

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hello all or ya'll. I just received a phone call and was given some disturbing news that I thought is worth sharing. I do believe this information is credible otherwise I would not post. Someone that works at a local hospital informed me that there are several children in ICU that have a form of MRSA, it is 100% antibiotic resistant, the children are in pain and the pain medicine is not helping. The CDC has been called in. I do not have any source at this time because I was told in confidence. The person that informed me of this is on the hospital staff and has been warned that because of HIPPA they will lose their job for exposing the issue. The local hospital is trying to keep it under wraps until the CDC directs them of when, if or how to disclose. I was told that I would be kept updated and I will share any further information as I receive it. Thanks and keep safe. Melissa101

Mod edit: Please don't post titles with all caps.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by dbates]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Please do keep us aprised of the situation.

CDC doesn't just get called in for no reason. Hopefully they can find and isolate the contagion as soon as possible.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I wonder if the recent flooding there had anything to do with this?

I just checked this site that reports on emergency events and other disasters but the site is doing maintenance at the moment.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Yes, please keep us up to date. That is some scary s#!t.

That bacteria is nothing to play with.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I live in memphis and have not heard anything about this, where at in tennessee is this? It is worrying because I have a 4 your old little girl, don't want her getting something nasty like that. Since the flood all manor of strange creatures have come out here in memphis, just last week I pulled a foot long slug off my car... it was a shock I assure you.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hmmm. It may have something to do with the flooding, but not because of the waters themselves. MRSA has been spreading outside of the hospital settings in homeless shelters and soup kitchens.

So many people were displaced due to the flooding and sheltered that that could well be a contributing factor.

www.doh.wa.gov...

Good thread. Its awesome we have members who can keep us in the loop.

link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Can you be more specific than just the CDC has been called in? You're not really clear as to what that entails, because they are always called in cases like this so they can take samples and stuff like that to make sure we are keeping abreast and ahead of new diseases and old ones becoming resistant. It's fairly routine for them, and isn't really something to be alarmed about, which is probably why they're keeping it quiet.

Hopefully the kids get through it alright.

link   
ATL, GA here.

We received a note from my child's teacher today about a child in the class with a "skin infection". No other specifics though. If I find out more tomorrow, I'll post it.

Kind of freaked out now...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Quickly you need to track down something called MANUKA HONEY. You want to put this directly on the wounds as soon as they show. This is a natural antibiotic that you use as a topical apploed directly to the wound. This stuff is a miracle and I use it for MRSA myself. Anytime I have a boil pop up I put it directly on the would and within two days it is gone!

Manuka Honey should be available at your local health food store(in fact Im going to buy another jar tomarrow).

+5 more 
posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

The antibiotic resistance is at least plausible, however the inability for the doctors to manage pain just doesn't pass the smell test.

Best,
SN

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
For those who want to read up
on this virus, here's a quick link to wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I bet a bath in MMS would do it, maybe.

I use that stuff to sterilize just about anything.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jdawg9909
You said you get boils... Boils are caused because your body is trying to get rid of something and one way your body gets rid of bad stuff is to push it through the skin but anyways Diary\diary containing products makes me have boils. I wonder if these kids are ingesting milk or icecreams... It might be 'feeding' the MRSA.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I live in Middle TN. I have several friends in the medical field. One VERY close friend in particular, that would tell me the truth on something like this if I asked her... and I did.

There are no reports of this going on. Nobody here has heard of the CDC being called in.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

It's a form of staph, most likely a result of the rampant flooding.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Flooding can cause the contamination of water with fecal matter
from sewage systems, septic tanks, as well as contamination from
oil, gasoline and other chemicals. As the flood waters eventually
begin to recede some property owners who venture back into their
homes and businesses will discover water damaged properties and
ruined belongings. Fortunately many of the water damaged
properties can be saved with proper and extensive water
extraction and mold remediation and prevention techniques.

www.emsl.com...

however, saving your property or moving back
into a flood damaged home might be
the Achilles Heel and the starting point
of some infections.

I also noticed, that oil can contribute.

So this outbreak could be either flood related
or oil related. There were some fisherman
working around the spill who got sick
but it didn't say what their symptoms were
so I don't know if it's related.

Just thought I'd relay some info here.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
To try to address everyone;

I guess the flood could have something to do with this and I agree it is probably indirectly.

Without disclosing my exact location we are about 1 hour out of Nashville.

The staff member whom is an RN stated that they do not have a name for the disease the children have that is why the CDC was called in. I have no idea the specifics other than what I have disclosed, I am not privy to what the CDC is doing or going to do. All I was told is that they (the infected children) have been quarantined to a specific area of the hospital; only fully suited head to toe and masked staff can enter the area to administer treatment. The staff have been given clear orders not to discuss the issue period.

As far as the pain issue, I have no idea about that; I was just told that the Dr's are having a hard time keeping them comfortable. I have no idea why.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I see there was an e coli outbreak in the area not too long ago.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This is also appearing on Godlikeproductions as well.

ALERT PEOPLE: CDC IS RUSHING INTOTENN

But I have not heard anything. But if the CDC is called in their has to be a larger all around reason. MRSA is known to spread to person to person quite easily. It is a very serious form of STAPH. But the pain medicine not working is confusing me. Usually pain medicine would greatly reduce the pain of MRSA; however, in more serious and advanced cases the MRSA is so far along that the medicine no longer helps. If these children have MRSA or developed MRSA today or yesterday the pain should be able to be controlled quite easily. But then again we have to take into account the amount that can be pumped into the child. If the doctors were to do anything a combination of Augmentin & Bactrim would easily fix this up rather quickly. They are weak seperate when trying to fix MRSA, but combined they are a force together. I am honestly not sure this is 100% accurate; maybe your friend got the details wrong? I'm not sure, but we will certainly see.

And as stated earlier that an Ecoli outbreak was really recent. VERY recent like 3 days ago:

The latest case count is 26 confirmed and 7 probable cases related to this outbreak from MI, NY, OH, PA, and TN.

Local and state public health officials in Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee are investigating human illnesses caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli) O145. CDC is supporting these investigations and facilitating regular communication and information sharing between the states and with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

As of May 20, 2010, a total of 26 confirmed and 7 probable cases related to this outbreak have been reported from 5 states since March 1, 2010. The number of ill persons identified in each state with this strain is: MI (11 confirmed and 2 probable), NY (5 confirmed and 2 probable), OH (8 confirmed and 3 probable), PA (1 confirmed), and TN (1 confirmed). The reported cases in Tennessee and Pennsylvania do not reflect expansion of the outbreak but retrospective identification of cases using the PulseNet system – these cases are part of the original cluster due to the original implicated lot of lettuce from March.

Among the 30 patients with available information, 12 (40%) were hospitalized. Three patients have developed a type of kidney failure known as hemolytic uremic syndrome, or HUS. No deaths have been reported.
CDC Reports

[edit on May 24th 2010 by TheMythLives]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Oddly enough, they are warning of this type of infection can be gotten at the beach too....also it seems to be comming north more and more...
the TV had a warning about it the other day for Wash. beaches

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join