It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hating the "Rich"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
My boyfriend and I have several issues which make it virtually impossible for us to be together successfully, hence we are.... on hiatus, I guess you'd say. One of these things is his hatred/resentment for anyone who has anything. During a recent argument he complained about my "rich b***h friends". One is not rich at all, and in fact is struggling with her family to keep it together through some difficult times. She behaves like a normal person in my eyes, but to him it's her attitude and not a question of money. My other friend was accused of "sitting in a $300k house". I don't know why it's a crime to sit in one's own house, but apparently it is. Especially when it's a valuable one. I pointed out that it's actually been appraised at $350k, and they earned it by making good decisions and working hard. They got in on the ground floor of their neighborhood, buying below $100k and it went up. I asked if they should give up everything and live in a box to make him feel better. He always looks at houses we drive by and says "They've got a lot of money" and I say "I don't know, but I bet they've got a lot of debt!" and laugh about it. I can't understand resenting people for having more than him. I don't pay any attention to that kind of thing, thinking more power to 'em. He even complained one day while we were watching one of those MTV things about Eminem, about how much money "that little punk" has. I was crackin up and asked him when HIS cd was coming out and said maybe it would sell more copies. He did NOT think this was funny, but I honestly thought he was joking around! How can anybody be mad at someone for being successful if they're not even doing anything to get their own piece of the pie?? It irks me because we both grew up broke and I don't care and he can't seem to get over it.

Probably no "answer" or anything, but it's biting my butt so I had to get it out! *L* Thanks!

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yeah, I know people like that. Communists is what I call them heh heh. I mean it does suck that some people can play a freakin GAME and get payed millions of dollars per game for it, but then again some people work for their money. I say, if you're willing to work harder for the money, then you should be able to get it. And besides, we're the ones giving eminem and those sports stars money. People are easily sucked into fads, and the "latest fashion". Then spend all their money on football tickets and eminem CD's, thus giving those people more money. God damn it I lost 20 dollars, STILL #ING PISSED.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Is your boyfriend struggling himself to make ends meet? It could be his way of venting his frustration at not being able to make a beak it this dog eat dog world.

I myself have nothing against people making their fortunes, what i dont like is when they tread on other people to egt there and let greed control their lives. Sonds like you need to sit with your boyfriend and talk to him about his coz it sounds like he's got demons he needs to adress

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
torque: You two should be on the Dr. Phil show.
You should also read taming your gremlin: picture below

It will help out a lot as it did for me.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
whoa! i thought this thread was about liberals. im confused now. thansk alot you just ruined my day!

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Many people who outwardly appear rich are just in the same boat as the rest of us. Many go into serious debt in order to 'keep up with the Joneses' and they are the ones who get in deep poo if their working hours are cut or they lose their jobs.

Those of us who have experienced both sides of the coin are well aware that riches are basically transitory and so prepare for the worst while hoping for the best.

The only people I 'hate' are those who are poor in spirit. I don't care how much money you have, as long as you use it wisely and use at least some of it for the good of others.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Tell him to screw off. More than likely he is pissed that he knows he is substandard and incapable of making a decent life for himself.

To be him, he would have to hate himself should he ever actually make something of himself.

He sounds like he needs a real KJ intervention to fix his cornhole additude.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I can see why people get angry towards those that are well off, thought hatred towards them is a wasted effort. Its more imporant to figure out why one isint in that boat rather than just hate on the rich. I think alot of the reason for the feelings of dislike and hatred toward the rich is due to the media. On nearly every channel there are these glorified images of famous and rich people, and their lives of unbelievable excess, but it seems like theres a silent voice that is also there jeering "see how rich, how happy, how beautiful, how famous, how loved they are, you can never have it, only worship and idolize it" And people really do. Look at the near cult followings of famous people, and its not just a standard fandom, people take it to such extents that anything bearing the image of a item of worship is purchased. When we get these things flaunted in our faces daily by the media, its not suprising that some people get pissed at the rich.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Tell him to screw off. More than likely he is pissed that he knows he is substandard and incapable of making a decent life for himself.

Yeah, that about sums it up. You don't need someone who can't cut it hanging around. Dump the bastard.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I only date rich girls.

It's nice to screw the rich for a change.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Come on baby eat the rich
Pipe down on the son of a b****
Side order
Could be ya daughter
Finger lickin good

Eat the Rich -Motorhead.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
You need to read this thread Nicest way to dumb someone Get rid of this loser and find someone with a positive attitude. We all have control of our own destiny and can't get there by complaining about it. He needs to grow some balls and change is life if he isn't happy with it.

[Edited on 9-6-2004 by KillerD]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I only date rich girls.

It's nice to screw the rich for a change.

That's funny in a weird and dellirious kind of way. I am realling laughing..

:w:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
*laughin*

Well, I don't wanna eat the rich cuz it seems like they'd be stringy.

He's a decent enough guy who seems to fall prey to depression and low self-esteem pretty easily. I should have more tolerance for it since I used to be in the same boat with both issues, and still have them sometimes, but I've worked to fix that and he just seems content to let it wash over him. I can't fix him. I don't have the energy!

We had both agreed we want enough to be happy. Bills paid, a little entertainment and a little to put away for later. But it seems it's never enough. And his problems are always someone else's fault. He's walked off of 3 jobs in under a year. I kept saying "Sometimes you have to eat a little s**t to make it and meanwhile just look for something else" but he lets it go until he's ready to explode, cusses out the boss, and walks off. Nice luxury to have, I guess. If I do that, I'm homeless! But then, since I work in an office, I don't actually WORK for a living according to him. (But then in the heat of argument, he sometimes says things he doesn't mean, as we all do). I don't know. It brings out the worst in me to argue about it, which is why I altered our living arrangement and he's now back in his home town. I didn't throw him out... he threatened to leave (again) and I held him to it. *L*

I hate to just drop him because he does have good qualities and I know he really loves me, but I don't care about money. I just want peace and quiet! Told him I'd have it with or without him. And love isn't always enough.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This guy is a loser and you know it. Dump him before he brings you down further.:bash:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by torque
We had both agreed we want enough to be happy. Bills paid, a little entertainment and a little to put away for later.

Here is your main problem. Following this rational, you will never get to experience the best life has to offer because you will always fail. Happiness is being content with what you have, not with being content to stagnate, that's just lame.

Here's an idea, get some damn goals, dump this guy, find a guy with a fire under his ass, and has a dream to enjoy the glory of success instead of settling to maintain.

But it seems it's never enough.

As you get older, you'll find that it is never enough. Play at the "just enough to have the bills paid" etc mentality long enough, and you'll be WAY behind the power curve when it counts.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm not hating all rich people, but I do hate what I called "spoiled rich brats".

You know, the kind of dady's boy that gets everything fed with a spoon to her mouths? The kind of brat that gets a nice 30-40 k car as their first car, when they're 16 y.-o., because their parents are filthy rich.

They don't even learn the value of money. They don't even have to pay anything them selve, because daddy and mommy pay everything for them. Why do I hate 'em? Because they're too spoiled. I work my ass 40 hours a week, and I sometimes have trouble paying all my bills. My parents were never rich, and there's been a lot of Christmas and bithdays where I didn't get # because times were tough.

What I hate the most: people who will never have to work because they can count on their familly's money.

That is just unfair. Plus it appear that being rich and spoiled push the person into developping an attitude that will later turn that person into a complete ass hole.

Edit: I don't have anything against people that worked and made any kind of effort to achieve and get what they have.

[Edited on 9-6-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
KJ... not cotent to stagnate at all. I -am- normally content with what I have. I don't aspire to wealth or the headaches that come with continually pursuing that. I'm 38 and been through the ringer, and frankly, I'm tired. I got laid off recently and am trying to rebuild. I want peace, quiet and paid bills. For me, peace of mind -is- the best life has to offer because I've had precious little of that ever.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

They don't even learn the value of money. They don't even have to pay anything them selve, because daddy and mommy pay everything for them. Why do I hate 'em? Because they're too spoiled. I work my ass 40 hours a week, and I sometimes have trouble paying all my bills. My parents were never rich, and there's been a lot of Christmas and bithdays where I didn't get # because times were tough.

Amen, M0rbid, amen.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I agree with Morbid as well.

Another slant on the issue:

I hate the way the rich are fawned and fussed over. I don't hate the rich simply for being rich, what I hate is the way the entire world is designed to shelter the rich from the harsh realities of the world.

They are totally clueless. They assume everybody has the same amount of money they do and when they find out somebody DOESNT, they get this faintly disturbed look on their faces. As if they are recalling flashbacks of long ago blocked memories of an imperfect world (where everybody has piles of money and lacks for nothing).

You tell them you can't afford something and they just don't get it. I can't count the number of times I've needed to replace a very simple, and to a lot of people, inexpensive item only to be asked by some richie ,"Well, why don't you just go out and buy another one ???" as if it's no big deal. Well, it's NOT, I guess to them. To me it's out of the question. But there's that cluelessness again.

I also hate the way the rich get first priorities as far as liberty and justice go. Don't even try to deny it you guys, everyone knows that there are no wealthy people on death row. It's liberty and justice for those who can afford it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join