It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Railgun at 10% The Speed of Light??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
maybe we will have railguns on tanks and battleships sooner than we think??..........its all about style in the end........

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amur_Tiger
Using it for spacecraft is rather inpractical at the moment given how it would kill any human passengers due to the accelleration.
As for military use, it won't be useful on anything that dosen't have some sort of nuclear reactor anything less just dosen't have the juice.

[edit on 8-6-2004 by Amur_Tiger]

The spacecraft design theory use the recoil from the action. So in essence the spacecraft will be the gun rather than the projectile.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whackmiester

10% of c...c being the Speed of Light

*falls out of seat* Holy Sh*t!!

Was that at all benefical to the conversation?
If it takes 10,000 Joules to accelerate a spacecraft to it's full speed, it will take it 10,000 Joules to decellerate it to 0..
This is because there are no energy losses to friction..
So, if it takes us 5 years to accelerate to a speed to get to Alpha Centuari, it'd take 5 years of deceleration with the same magnitude to stop..
Therefore, if it takes 10 kg of U-235 to accelerate to get to Alpha Centuari, it will take 10 kg to stop...

Quite a lot of energy involved if you think about it

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
8 years ago I watched a video that demonstrated current exotic weaponry, of which one was a railgun.

Technological developments at that time had scaled this particular model down to a unit about three meters long and could accelerate a 6 ounce aluminium backed teflon projectile up to 9,000m/s.

The firing demonstration was impressive, the perceptively 'instantaneous' damage to a rather large block of steel several kilometers away was equally impressive.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
9000 m/s is not 10% of the speed of light, however..

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
there is a place in maryland called aberdeen proving groung where they test these crazy bad ass guns, and they have a mueseum with some of the old concepts like this one that shoots discs that cut people in half and anyways they have this railgun thing that they are experimenting with and they said over a tenth the speed of sound.blahblahblah and they said in some other mode which is the main mode it is like really really superduperfast.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurdueNuc

Originally posted by hockey_crazy
It said that the rail gun would shoot 150 km per second. I think the speed of light is 186,000m per second. Not quite a tenth

No offense, but there isn't a single correct fact in this statement. The 150 km/s is an estimated maximum that railguns will eventually be able to achieve. I believe dreamlandmafia is referring to current technology. The speed of light is not 186 km/s, it's about 300,000 km/s. Regardless, 150 is nowhere near one tenth of 186 or 300,000! You may want to get a new calculator.

If you had read my post coorectly you would know that I said 150km/s and 186,000 M per second

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
... which is why he said 186 KM/s
The speed of light is 3 x 10 ^ 8 Metres per second
This equates to...
300,000 KM/s

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There is no point in making such a rail gun since it would be really easy to counter. Spaced armor allow disintegrates such projectiles and they disintegrate in normal air.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join