It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's smallest transistor built with just 7 atoms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

(PhysOrg.com) -- Scientists have literally taken a leap into a new era of computing power by making the world's smallest precision-built transistor - a "quantum dot" of just seven atoms in a single silicon crystal. Despite its incredibly tiny size - a mere four billionths of a metre long - the quantum dot is a functioning electronic device, the world's first created deliberately by placing individual atoms.

Quantum leap: World's smallest transistor built with just 7 atoms

I couldn't resist posting this. This is absolutely mind blowing given the fact that researchers claimed that "silicon is expected not to work at all" at 20 nanometers.

The device built by the CQCT teams has features of 4 nanometers. The smallest commercial transistor available is 40 nanometers.

Since this 4 nanometer device works in real world enviroments, that means that computing capacity of your Blackberry has grown 10-fold.

I must apologize. I'm still at awe of what's happening in the world of electronics.

[edit on 24/5/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's going to be almost unimaginable, the transformation allowed by nanoscale mechanics.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There were several messages about this being done already. There are many things possible using atomic force microscopy, but there is still no way to mass production of these.

new topics

join