It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preschools in forests take root in the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
" VASHON ISLAND, Wash. – When they're outside, the children in Erin Kenny's class don't head for cover if it rains or snows. They stay right where they are — in a private five-acre forest. It's their classroom.

They spend three hours a day, four days a week here, a free-flowing romp through cedar and Douglas fir on Vashon Island in Puget Sound.

The unique "forest kindergarten" at Cedarsong Nature School is among several that have opened in recent years in the U.S., part of movement that originated in Europe to get kids out from in front of televisions and into the natural world.

"American children do not spend much time outdoors anymore," Kenny says. "There's a growing need and an awareness on parents' part that their children really need to do more connecting with nature." "

Great Story on Yahoo News!

This is a really neat idea. It is inspired by the book " Last Child in The Woods". It would be nice if if there was one around here to send my kids to.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You know what I'd rather see? Them teaching pre-schoolers and kindergartners their ABCs, their numbers, colors, and shapes, preparing them to learn to read, to write and to do math.

Enough with hippie-liberal-lets-teach-children-everything-but-reading-writing-and-arithmatic education system.

Getting kids away from the TV and outside? Great, all for it. Bring back Physical Education.

How about the teachers teach and let the parents parent (that includes making sure you fat-whiney kid gets exercise.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Usually public schools, or federal HeadStart programs will fill the gap with pre school aged kids learning ABCs, numbers and colors. That is fine and good. kids do need to learn those things at an early age. I feel like that is part of parenting a very young child.
I also think the idea behind these nature schools in the Forest is a great idea. It can give a child a life long love of nature. Think about it, wouldn't it have been cool if you were allowed to just explore in the forest all day? All the self discoveries you could have made. But instead were stuck in a classroom learning the basics from a book. Do you think you would be any different of a person than you are now?

I just think it is a nice option for some parents that feel that connection with nature is important.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Yes, its a nice option for private preschools.

However, I would prefer that the public schools (i.e. public tax dollars) teach facts, and leave the life lessons to the parents.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
how sad people are so short sited .
I know as a kid even back in kindy i lived for cookie and milk time along with waiting till they took us for walks . i rember the baby rabbit i found really well rember the stars they gave us for being good boys and girls.
the tent caterpillars of wich i asked for one at every tree.
later in maybe second the farm we went to the electric fence that zapped me.
(which i tried again ) the duck wings i found and tried to fly with .
for the life of me i cant rember a thing they thought from the books.
Must have learned it buttt.
so why not be smarter then a 6 year old take the kids out there apply math English science to the real world . Mite not be a bad idea because the classroom isn't . and I promise they will learn twice as fast twice as much out there then in a boring room that all they wish is for the next milk brake.
science math English its all out there waiting in that farm woods park .
theres nothing back at that class except the cookies and milk

new topics

top topics

join