It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eat dirt, be smarter!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Exposure to specific bacteria in the environment, already believed to have antidepressant qualities, could increase learning behavior, according to research presented at the 110th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology in San Diego.

"Mycobacterium vaccae is a natural soil bacterium which people likely ingest or breath in when they spend time in nature," says Dorothy Matthews of The Sage Colleges in Troy, New York, who conducted the research with her colleague Susan Jenks.

Previous research studies on M. vaccae showed that heat-killed bacteria injected into mice stimulated growth of some neurons in the brain that resulted in increased levels of serotonin and decreased anxiety. "Since serotonin plays a role in learning we wondered if live M. vaccae could improve learning in mice," says Matthews.

"We found that mice that were fed live M. vaccae navigated the maze twice as fast and with less demonstrated anxiety behaviors as control mice," says Matthews.

"This research suggests that M. vaccae may play a role in anxiety and learning in mammals," says Matthews. "It is interesting to speculate that creating learning environments in schools that include time in the outdoors where M. vaccae is present may decrease anxiety and improve the ability to learn new tasks."

www.sciencedaily.com...

[edit on 24/5/10 by sandri_90]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
this is also a good way to contract any munber of diseases and infections.
before haphazzardly suggesting people do dangerous activities, please consider the risk to those who are nto smart enought o know better.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by super genius

I am not suggesting, I am simply sharing a news.
That was a research done by scientists and I thought it was obvious that the first statement was a joke. I apologize if I offended you.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

Wow!!!!!!!!

Nice find sandri_90.

It states in the report that it can be breathed in.

"Mycobacterium vaccae is a natural soil bacterium which people likely ingest or breath in when they spend time in nature,".

So.... it doesn't mean you have to eat the dirt, people simply breathe it in when they are out working in their gardens and enjoying themselves. Maybe that is why I feel very good when I'm out roto-tilling with the roto-tiller and planting seeds; because I'm breathing in that fresh scent that comes from the earth itself.

I never thought that breathing in that fresh scent might actually make me smarter, I always just thought that the scent of newly turned earth just made you feel better and happier. Maybe that is the real reason why the mice finished their mazes faster, because they were happier and feeling better instead of being smarter. I know I do a lot of things faster and better when I'm feeling better and happier.

Great article to think about.

Thanks sandri_90

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I`m glad you like it!

This is yet another reason to spend time in nature and just FEEL GOOD!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I spend a lot of time outdoors, and lots of time in dirt. I do a lot of gardening and when I work in the dirt, I'm usually covered from head to toe and everything in between.

I would have to wager that I must be immune to this Mycobacterium vaccae.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by super genius
before haphazzardly suggesting people do dangerous activities, please consider the risk to those who are nto smart enought o know better.

super genius,

In what kind of bubble are you living that you aren't breathing in or ingesting potentially dangerous ...stuff?

When people say they're going to get a breath of fresh air, don't they usually step -out-side?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
We evolved as part of this earth.

City life can be fun, but it means missing out on so much.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by super genius

Did you even read the...never mind, silly question.

Warning everyone! Spending time outdoors is a dangerous activity! Stay in you're darkened rooms or if you must illuminate them, use mercury filled bulbs!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
wow everyone is so quick to attack super genius, but hes right.
you people are far too agressive sometimes, what the OP suggested is dangerous, and super genius merely pointed that out.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Interesting how certain living systems can affect other living systems in a positive way.

That said, I'm now about to eat dirt to find out lol. It's the tapeworms and other parasites I think I can live without.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This reminds me of that episode of futurama where Fry got infected.

They must of known something!

Jk
carry on.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ong Bak
wow everyone is so quick to attack super genius, but hes right.
you people are far too agressive sometimes, what the OP suggested is dangerous, and super genius merely pointed that out.
I clicked on the thread because I was pretty confident there would be a bit of extremism. There's always going to be those who will rush right out and eat dirt.

The more blessed will simply smile, knowing that gardening is always twined in mystery.

Do we need that guy on the meat commercials saying (dopey voice): always be sure to cook your meat, and always wash your hands before and after handling it...???

What about the puritans...they took in too much mold and burned witches? Well not all of them did that, anyway.

Yeah, figured there would be the 'dirt is death' set here as well. It was an interesting fad. Sunlight kills you. All your dirt has poison in it. Plan your outdoor activity with your regular tetanus shots. A single small cut without it may be fatal.

Let's keep it just like it's always been. Choose your dirt carefully!

[edit on 26-5-2010 by davidmann]

[edit on 26-5-2010 by davidmann]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It's pretty much ancient knowledge that 'getting dirty with nature' is extremely beneficial to the immune system... it's why I laugh at people who warn me against swimming in the dirty river everyday... or walking bare footed.

Ironically it always seems that they're the first ones to get the latest virus going around -- while I rarely ever get anything.

We live in a pretty ignorant society in general, but when it comes to general health, we live in an extremely ignorant society!

[edit on 26/5/10 by Navieko]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
Interesting how certain living systems can affect other living systems in a positive way.

That said, I'm now about to eat dirt to find out lol. It's the tapeworms and other parasites I think I can live without.

The OP is not implying that you should pick up a handful of dirt and eat it.

The OP is implying that being around dirt is good.

Edit to say the title does say, "Eat dirt..." But if anyone reads the article instead of relying just on the title, then they are more educated than the one who relies on the title.

Although, I think just as many if not more people would have checked this thread out if it was named, "Breathe dirt, be smarter!"

[edit on 5/26/2010 by TarzanBeta]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Well, it was a metaphor, eat dirt, be smarter (so read the article too). I don`t think anyone was thinking to go binge on dirt. I`ll be more careful on the titles in the future.
Some rely only on the title, as you said, and the few lines written in the OP. Many things are missed in lots of threads, so I was trying somehow to get more people to read through the entire article.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience I created to some of you.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I did eat dirt as a V young kid. had dogs and cats to! I tested the highes at IQ in my class. ( yes they must be dumb! haha beat you to it!).

new topics

top topics

join