It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth may be approaching super-hot gas cloud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Earth may be approaching super-hot gas cloud - (but don't worry)

www.tgdaily.com

The Earth may be about to move into a million-degree cloud of interstellar gas, according to Polish and US scientists.

They suggest that the Ribbon of enhanced emissions of Energetic Neutral Atoms, discovered last year by NASA Small Explorer satellite IBEX, could be explained by the fact that we're approaching the boundary between the Local Cloud of interstellar gas and another cloud of a very hot gas called the Local Bubble.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
No need to panic!

As our planetary system traverses the galactic plane, it is to be expected that we will pass through different areas of space which may contain different characteristics.

In about 100 years we shall see... and I find myself wondering if our astronomical observations will differ from what we are used to.

The gas the article refers to is so sparse that we are unlikely to feel it. Our own Sun's heliosphere should be ample protection... unless we figure a way to mess that up.....

www.tgdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Topic here

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am confused.

This article talks about one hundred years hence, and makes no mention of magnetics nor the connection with Voyager 2. In fact this information seems to come from IBEX measurements, not Voyager 2.

Are we looking at two different interpretations of the same information?

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wait so we are actually in a local interstellar cloud (not that good in astronomy)??

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Wait so we are actually in a local interstellar cloud (not that good in astronomy)??

The team's model suggests that the boundary between the Local Cloud and the Local Bubble might be a few light years away, as was believed earlier, but within a thousand astronomical units - a thousand times closer.

This might mean that the Solar System could enter the million-degree Local Bubble cloud as early as the next century.

But don't panic.

"The Sun frequently traverses various clouds of interstellar gas during its galactic journey," says co-author Dr Andrzej Czechows from the Space Research Centre of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Such clouds are of very low density - much lower than the best vacuum obtained in Earth labs.

Once in, he says, the heliosphere will reform and may shrink a little and the level of cosmic radiation entering the magnetosphere may rise a bit - but that's all.

Seems we are on the cusp of the local bubble... and perhaps breaking into the local cloud much sooner than later... but I'm no astronomer either...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I have seen this before, I think......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thank you... it seems there are now multiple sources....
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Nothing to be scarred of eh? Well, it takes 225-250 million years for the sun (and the local cluster) to travel around the center of the galaxy. Extinction level events happen right around this same rate, roughly once every 250 million years or so, with sometimes as much as 60+% of all organic life being wiped out. WHAT IF the local bubble is to blame?

Think about washing your car once a year. what if the earth gets "Washed" by the bubble's exotic gases each time was have passed through this bubble in the past? No real scientific data to back up my fear, but its something to ponder.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Thats an interesting idea. In the same dialogue where Plato introduces the world to the idea of Atlantis, he also talks about a periodic burning of most of the Earth. Shorter time frame in Plato, though.

Well thats something to look forward too. The Earth could use a little fumigation. Its covered with nasty natured primates.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Can you point out these 250my extinction events? The big ones that are generally talked about are these:
Cretaceous: 65mya
Triassic: 200mya (that's 135my before the Cretaceous)
Permian: 250mya (that's 50my before the Triassic)
Late Devonian: 370mya(that's 120my before the Permian)
Late Ordovician: 445mya (that's 75my before the Devonian)

Not really seeing much of a regular cycle there. 250 million years seems kinda long.

[edit on 5/24/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yeah, but we are suppose to be reaching this point in 100 years, so WE have nothing to worry about

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Yeah, but we are suppose to be reaching this point in 100 years, so WE have nothing to worry about

On the contrary.... this Galactic Superwave that is giong to hit in appox. 2012 will hit this local molecular cloud & the hot local bubble about 1 year before it penetrates the heliosphere...

the energized Superwave will cause unknown reactions in both the cloud & the bubble, probably expanding them at near 80% the speed of light...and that three-bagger combination of energized material & gamma rays will undoubtedly cause havoc on the suns heliosphere wayyyy before the reckoned 100 year arrival date.

in fact an approximate 5 light year large expanse of the 'empty space' in our local cluster will likely start glowing like the northern light do in the Earths ionosphere... a decade or more of an eerie glowing blob-in-space making the observable universe too hard to view in the visible light spectrum....

days and nights might not be so different than the Las Vegas Strip where days & nights blur into a continual engagement

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

On the contrary....

I presume you have a source

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I dont think what you said, even makes sense? How is that even possible...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I don't know but it seems it's getting hotter and hotter every year.. Could it be the chemtrails.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
or a massive cloaked mothership coming to us?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Last post

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I really hope this gets more feedback, then the typical trash a lot of people post. Like what are the implications for the future? They say it is nothing big, but how can we possibly believe that?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a super-hot gas cloud......Al Gore is speaking again ?

Where ?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well, I guess I am missing a few physics marbles here...but how in the heck can a "cloud" that has a density of less than the best vacuum we can create on earth, have an on-going temperature of over 1 million degrees Kelvin?

What is the nature of this heat...it's source and by what process is this temperature maintained? Particularly since it has been travelling for a very long time through regions of space that have temperatures approaching absolute zero.

In my (limited?) experience, once an energy source is removed from a liquid or a gas, it will very quickly tend toward the temperature of its surrounding environment (think of how quickly water stops boiling after you turn off the stove).

Super Nova origins or not...traversing light years of space over millions of years doesn't cool this near-perfect vacuum "cloud" down?

Perhaps one of the more astronomically conversant AST-ers can explain this one to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join