It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Gallons Per Day Oil From BP Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Scientists see video, adjust Gulf leak estimates

By SETH BORENSTEIN (AP) – 2 days ago

WASHINGTON — Scientists are altering their estimates of how much oil is spewing into the Gulf of Mexico a day after new live video of the leak was posted online.

Tim Crone of Columbia University says he was saddened because he hoped the video would show his estimate of 840,000 to 4.2 million gallons a day was wrong, but it didn't.

He upped the lower bounds of his estimates to
[at least] 1.68 million gallons [per day] and is sticking with his upper estimate for the main leak from the well that blew out after a rig explosion.

Purdue University professor Steve Wereley says he'll likely cut his 3.9 million gallons a day estimate after BP said half of what's coming out of the pipe is gas, not oil.

BP PLC and the Coast Guard have estimated 210,000 gallons a day, but a government team is revising that.
www.google.com...

Both BP AND the US government are vastly lowballing the scope of this catastrophe.

How much oil is leaking?

The real answer is - more than anyone wants to admit, because the well holds enough oil to make Saudi Arabian drillers jealous.

The oil field the Deepwater Horizon had tapped is

said to be the second largest deposit in the world. Viewzone.com reports, “The site covers an estimated 25,000 square miles, extending from the inlands of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Texas. “

The oil deposit is so large, it could produce 500,000 barrels of a day for more than a decade.

Part of the reason the well exploded is because the site also contains large deposits of natural gas.

Speculation as to
why BP has tried to hide the amount of oil spilling may be two-fold. There are legal issues and lawsuits in the works. The less said by BP now, the better it may play out for them in the future. The other, more alarming aspect, is the event of total wellhead failure before relief wells are completed in August.

Considering the size of the deposit, if BP loses control of the flow completely,

the scope of the disaster would be unfathomable.
www.examiner.com... cond-largest-oil-deposit-in-the-world

Politicians are seeing future dollar signs & not calling out BP for the full recklessness & irresponsibilities of its actions.

With a deposit of this size BP will OWN every US national politician, especially in light of the recent US Supreme Court decision to allow unlimited corporate meddling in the people's elections & politics.

They'll all be rich, provided the Human species hasn't gone into extinction altogether & is only living in a barely bearable cesspit instead.

You have been betrayed on every level by these greedy psychopaths, in & out of government,
And Rand Paul is setting himself up to be at the wellhead of the money stream.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You know one of the things I thought of when this story first broke was how much oil actually can be pulled from these rigs. It started out I think to be around 5,000 barrels a day estimated then it quickly jumped. My point is if all this oil is taken from these rigs why the heck are we relying on other countries for oil when we can just build more oil platforms? Now granted this is horrific but should we now be led to believe that we cannot sustain ourselves off of the oil that we get from the nearby oil deposits. As reported in "In a closed-door briefing for members of Congress, a senior BP executive conceded Tuesday that the ruptured oil well could conceivably spill as much as 60,000 barrels a day of oil, more than 10 times the estimate of the current flow." (compliments of PBS News Hour). The bottom line is nobody that I'm aware of made mention of how long this well will continue to provide oil? As horrible a tragedy this is this should be a wakeup call to everyone that maybe oil is being rationed during collection periods.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
weren't scientists saying how all the oil in the earth was going to run out? apparently not with pockets of oil like this

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My main issue is that with all of the 'so-called' Obama response to the oil spill, why we still do not know how much is coming out..

There are so many pro and con threads about the oil spill here at ATS..but we still do not know how much is coming out. The Navy should be there right now with everything they have...why aren't they? Why is it just the Coast Guard? Why? Why? Why?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Two points.

(1) By god they better [should have] learn[ed] how to do it vastly better than this.
And

(2) without a viable solution to global warming we will be extinct and all the oil in the Universe will be WORTHLESS to us.

BTW global heating is real, & it causes mass extinctions as it has already done 250 million years ago in the greatest mass extinction event in geologic history called the 'Great Dying' where 90-95% of the large land animals went extinct due to a lack of [unliveably low] oxygen.

The reason for the age of reptiles [amphibians?] is they have directional airflow in their lungs & can therefore live in reduced oxygen environmental conditions, while we regular [in-out;chaotic] air breathers suffocate[d] & die[d].

So i guess global warming favors the reptilians, yet again.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think the Democrats really screwed up.....so, I am going to say it here:

Please bring back water boarding so that we can get the truth out of BP!

Thank you.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Your link doesn't work. Here is the correct one.

Examiner.com

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

Wow, that is a lot. I really haven't been paying attention but your thread caught my eye today.

Pretty crazy. I try to look at the positives of this terrible mess. At least is is thin oil, most animals should be able to live through it, it is a natural product so the earth will claim it back. Not much more though-as a layman.

F&S

top topics

join