It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Reasons Never to Touch a Soda Ever Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I received an email from PhenForum Daily....although I could not find the article on this website, I felt what the email presented was good info. Funny thing is, after drinking soda for decades, and never thinking I would quit, I now drink maybe 1 soda every couple of weeks - if that and have turned to green tea instead.

Glad I did!!! I believe that driniing tons of diet soda for decades caused me to add weight and Lord knows what else it did to my body. But, every now & then, I just have the urge for one.....

20 Reasons Never to Touch a Soda Ever Again

Here are only 20 reasons not to drink one ever again:

1. Saccharin(Sweet n’ Low) is a noncaloric petroleum derivative that has been linked to bladder cancer in laboratory animals.

2. In fact, Saccharin was discovered by Ira Remsen in 1879 at the dinner table after not having washed the coal tar derivatives off of his hands. Mmmmm coal tar derivatives.

3. Aspartame (NutraSweet) contains ethyl or wood alcohol, which has been known to hinder fetal brain development.

4. Diet drinks are loaded with sodium which causes calcium to be excreted. Thus, this excretion leads to osteoporosis.

5. Sodas tend to interact adversely with antacids, possibly causing headaches, constipation, hypertension, nausea, vomiting, and kidney damage.

6. Sodas contain a lot of phosphorus, which can also lead to excessive calcium loss and even they can even hinder the body’s ability to utilize calcium.

7. Heavy soft drink consumption can interfere with the body’s metabolization of iron, which could mean diminished nerve impulse transmission. More soda, less sensation.

8. Caffeine withdrawal can occur in those that drink soft drinks daily. It’s a dreadful experience that can include symptoms such as headache, fatigue, mild depression, muscle pain and stiffness, flu-like feelings, nausea, and vomiting.

9. Women that consume at least one caffeinated beverage a day are more prone to PMS. Also, the more caffeine consumed, the worse the PMS symptoms.

10. Listen up ladies. Just having one caffeinated drink a day reduces your monthly chances of conceiving a child up to 50%.

11. Soft drinks serve as the number one source of phosphorus in the American diet. It should also be noted that excess phosphorus is a major contributor to osteoarthritis. Hmmm, maybe Americans weren’t always so decrepit....

12. When stored improperly, the artificial sweetener aspartame can turn into methanol, a poisonous alcohol which General Motors is considering using as a fuel. Even when stored properly, 10% of the consumed aspartame will be absorbed into the bloodstream as methanol. So, damned if you do, damned if you don’t....

13. Phosphoric acid found in soft drinks can actually corrode your stomach lining and your liver.

14. A high phosphorus intake can lead to gingivitis, tooth loss, and periodontal disease.

15. PET bottling is used exclusively for soft drinks. This Polyethylene terephthalate can release small amounts of dimethyl terephthalate into the beverage. Unfortunately, this compound is potentially carcinogenic.

16. One extra soft drink a day gives a child a 60% greater chance of becoming obese. Each daily drink adds 0.18 points to the child’s BMI score, regardless of exercise and other foods consumed.

17. One liter of aspartame-sweetened soda can produce about 56 mg of methanol. When several diet sodas are consumed daily, as much as 250 mg of methanol are stuffed into the bloodstream. Oh, and by the way, this is 32 times the Environmental Protection Agency’s limit.

18. The acidity of soda is about the same as vinegar, but the sugar content disguises the acidity. Clever, huh??

19. The sugar from one soft drink has the ability to weaken the white blood cells up to 7 hours.

20. Children who drink soft drinks are 3-4 times more likely to suffer from bone fractures than those who don’t.

To be totally honest, the main reason I quit soda wa because of the cost. Due to changes in my life situation and finances, I jsut could not afford to continue paying out what they wanted for it and made the switch - so glad I did!!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Made the switch to what?

Soda is cheap, that's why it's consumed so much....

I've recently switched to water throughout the day, but either a diet soda or tea (with artificial sweetener) with meals.

As for meals, I basically am reducing fat and carbs. (lots of salads, and I love salad, but often with a little bit of meat thrown in, like some lean grilled chicken or steak...but not near as much meat as I'd eat if by itself).

I just used to be much more fit, and I'm not liking my current weight or shape, so finally decided to do something about it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

10. Listen up ladies. Just having one caffeinated drink a day reduces your monthly chances of conceiving a child up to 50%.

Tell that to my 9 children.
* sips a coke...
I have been addicted to soda pop since I was a kid.
My fav, ROOT BEER, but Coke is a close second.
I'll give it up when I die.
Everything has something in it thats not good for you.
I just picked my poison is all.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Yeah I defiantly don't believe that one. I had no problem conceiving.

I also have a problem with #4. A serving of coke zero cherry has 30 mg's of sodium. A serving of skim milk has 130 mg's of sodium.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Not to mention HFCS (High-Fructose Corn Syrup). Usually the #2 ingredient in non diet sodas.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

Aside from causing cancer, the bad thing about aspartame (and soda in general) is that is increases the amount of free radicals in your body. Free radicals are very bad, because they attack the good cells. I use to drink lots of diet soda, but i have since cut way back.

top topics

join