It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean DMZ Untouched Natural Eco-System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
With mounting tension between North and South Korea, what does it mean for the DMZ?

While mention of the DMZ conjures images of stone-faced soldiers, barbed-wire fences, guns and guard towers, the area between North and South Korea has remained virtually untouched by humans for more than 55 years. As a result, the DMZ has essentially become a 2.5-mile-wide, 155-mile-long nature park that is home to more than 50 species of mammals, roughly 200 kinds of birds and in excess of 1,000 plant species. Some of the birds and animals that live or visit here are threatened or endangered.

www.stripes.com...

For nearly 60 years this landscape has been untouched by man's endeavors. I can't imagine the devistation might happen if war were to break out, The DMZ would be ravaged. It's a Shame.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well I tell you what, that is one nature park that the tree huggers would not go chaining themselves to.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Thats very interesting. Lets hope that if war breaks out they won't ravage all 155 miles of it.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
nevermind!!!!1

[edit on 24-5-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
Thats very interesting. Lets hope that if war breaks out they won't ravage all 155 miles of it.

I think the nukes will be aiming for Seoul.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Although it would be a shame for the area to get destroyed, the potential loss of human life seems far worse if war would break out.

BTW why is this thread in the Alt.Substance/Drug forum??

Edit: Nevermind, I guess a mod moved it to right forum...

[edit on 24/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Found a story CNN did 2 weeks ago, a nice collection of photos of the DMZ.
Wish I knew this guy, I would like to shake his hand.

"I gradually realized during my work that the Korean DMZ was not only a valuable source of irreplaceable natural life but also a historical site reminding humanity of the preciousness of peace," Choi says.

Well done to the Photographer! nice pics.

It looks like his wishes are coming true!

"I thought many times that this buffer zone deserved serious international attention as a possible world conservation site, which could naturally facilitate peace in the Korean peninsula."

Bravo! to Choi Byung Kwan. Talking Peace and Conservation, and trying to get the message out.

Send some good vibes that way. Koreans could use some.

top topics

join