It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Three layers of Reality.

page: 1
7
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Reality, as we all know implies something that is real. In turn, makes for example what you read here in text, reality.

If we looked at the fabric of reality, we will see there are many parts and layers to what makes Reality. Since this is a Philosophy and Metaphysics discussion thread, I feel that we can approach a three step approach to Reality.


The Three Layers of Reality




  1. Physical Reality
  2. Cognitive Reality
  3. The Self


Physical Reality for the most part is our materialistic view of the nature of things. It represents a fundamental basic which as you can see evident in this text, something you are part of, and real.

Our science and literature is abundant in materials that can broaden your view and understanding of what Physical Reality is. Suffice to say, you are part of physical reality.

On the more Philosophical and Metaphysical side of Reality, we have two other distinct states that give Physical Reality a taste of "You". Since you are also a part of Physical Reality, then by default "You" are now required to render this physical reality into your own "Cognitive Model".

Cognitive Reality
It is self-similar is ways to Physical Reality, in that like Physical Reality it is real. However, for it to be real, it requires and depends on a biological living system that must render the sensory interpretation of "Physical Reality" into it's subjective cognitive mirror.

Why Cognitive Reality is important metaphysically is because at the throne or helm of this the Self.

The self is "You". The part that says, "I Am". The part that is reading this right now.

How is "Reality" composed of three layers?

If you were to rate you knowledge and understanding of these layers, which of these three do you know best? Feel free to answer these relative questions to the idea of reality as presented in these three layers.

What is your view of Physical Reality?

What is your view of Cognitive Reality?

What is your view of The Self, or the "You" part of Reality?




posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming
 


Great post and S&F.

I'm going to soak this in and mull it over before I give my answers.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Reality is reality. There aren't levels of reality, there just is what there is. People have long believed in a separation of mind and matter, but I think this is a delusion. How is it that I may slip, hit my head, damage a region, and never be the same? It's because the mind is synonymous with the physical systems of the body; namely the brain.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
When I dream, I experience the five senses vividly and at times I feel that it is real. But there comes a point when I wake up and realize that it was just a dream. It was all in my mind.

This is how I view the physical realm. It is not real. I am the one who calls the shots. How I perceive you determines who you are from my perspective and vice-versa from your perspective. I may see you as a kind loving human but another may perceive you as one full of hate. The physical realm exists in our minds. We are ALL "The One" (Neo from the Matrix)

The cognitive reality is the nuts and bolts of the physical realm. In simple terms, thought creates reality. Since we are the main character of our lives, the other characters you see are there only for you, but they don't know it. If you pay close attention to other people in television, movies and every day life, you will find that whatever they say will have some relevance to you. Our job is to figure out what these other characters are telling you, and answer the following questions: Who am I? Why am I here? Where am I?

The self exists within the physical and mental realities. Everything you experience and think comes from this self. This is the grand daddy of it all, God. This God fellow gives you everything you experience in life. He is always good and wants nothing more than the happiness of his creation, "The One".

This leads us to ask: If God wants nothing more than my happiness, then why do I suffer?

Obviously, we have forgotten that God(The Self) is perfect. Therefore, the problem is not within The Self, but within the cognitive reality. Our ego has blinded us from this truth. While we are wanting and hating more and more, we forget that everything is already perfect. We can not PERCEIVE the perfection of life because we live in the pursuit of materialism 24/7. This constant desire for sex,money,power, and knowledge can never fill the ego. We always keep on telling ourselves, "I already have all the girls, what more is there? Money!! But I already have all the money, what more is there? POWER!! I am already the manager of my business, but I still feel empty inside. What more is there? Knowledge! But now that I have read 5000 books, learned how to play different sports and instruments, learned art, and done EVERYTHING I can here on earth, what more is there? I still feel empty despite all these things...what more is there? What is the meaning of life?"

The ego can never be satisfied within in the realm of the physical. However, they are necessary for the development of The One. Once we ask "What is the meaning of my life?" we enter the realm of spirituality. It is in this realm where the fun REALLY begins. Because unlike the previous egotistic desires, this desire to know spirituality never diminishes. In fact, the more you search for meaningful answers, the LESS you feel satisfied. This desire if a bowl that can never be filled. The bowl grows bigger until one day, The One is awakened with the sudden realization of who he really is...



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Davidius
 


More regurgitation of the new-age nonsense. We don't create the physical world. That's insane. If humanity ceased to exist tomorrow, life would go on. It in no way requires your view to order the chaos. You are confusing perception for reality. A common mistake amongst these "enlightened gurus" who are really just psychotic.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions
 



Reality is reality.


Aye, that it is. I just wish it were easier to know and understand reality as a whole.


There aren't levels of reality, there just is what there is.


I don't think the OP was trying to say there are three separate distinct levels.


People have long believed in a separation of mind and matter, but I think this is a delusion. How is it that I may slip, hit my head, damage a region, and never be the same? It's because the mind is synonymous with the physical systems of the body; namely the brain.


I'm not sure if you read the same post I had in this thread, but the OP clearly states that cognitive reality is dependent upon physical reality.

Physical reality is the reality we are all made out of, our atoms and the laws of physics that holds it all together. The cognitive reality is that which interprets the physical reality, that's the part that will get messed up when you bump your noggin against a lead pipe in a dark alley way trying to score an ounce... but that's a different story.

The self, that's the mysterious part right now. That's the part that does the actual experiencing. I don't buy into the new age, religious, mystic magical fantasies either, but the ultimate truth is, we don't know what the self is.

The self is that part of reality, that part of you and I that interprets what the cognitive aspect is perceiving. We don't directly experience anything, we physically can't. The OP's statement never said a lick about anything new age or religious. You just read into his statement and got what you wanted out of it.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

My view on physical reality is that which is global and BEYOND my immediate event horizons.

My view on cognitive reality is that which is local and where I directly sence AND can act upon my immediate environment.

My view on my own [the self] reality is that place from which I DECIDE on everything that I choose from within the other two states of scale.

Personal Disclosure: My signature says IT ALL!



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex
 


Okay, so let me get this straight.

There's physical reality.

There's cognitive reality (perception)

There's the reality of self -- experiencer (perception of perception)

How can this be so confusing to people


We sense something, and use our brains to interpret what it is we're sensing. So we intake information and sort it based on previous experience. All that experiencing is, would be using one's long term memory in conjunction with working memory to come up with a sense of being.

There's nothing mystical about it, whatsoever. It's merely how we're designed. To think on our thoughts, to perceive our perceptions, is just a product of being self-aware. Our self-awareness has been noted as just a feedback loop in our data. We're continuously looping back on our sense of self, which is just a combination of thoughts/feelings in association with our exterior physical stimuli.

I don't understand how people can take this so deep, and think so hard on this. There's not much to think about. It is what it is! That's reality!



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions
 


I'm unsure where your getting this mystical angle from the OP.

Can you quote exactly where he mentioned anything about mystical stuff?



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Reality is reality.


Sure, and chemistry is chemistry, physics is physics but I assure you there is a lot more to these systems in terms of identifiable parts and systems.


Originally posted by unityemissions
There aren't levels of reality, there just is what there is.


That may be your opinion, however if we look within "Reality" itself we find it has many levels. For example, looking at reality relative to scale introduces new patterns of information about reality.

If we look at reality and apply dimensional reduction we have first, second and third dimensions with mathematical and geometrical evidence of possible forth and beyond.

In a geometrical view point, reality appears also to have many levels.

If we take light, which is composed of the visual part of the spectrum. Although we only see what the visual spectrum of light registers with our eyes, within the visual spectrum is an Electromagnetic Spectrum of which many levels exist.

Reality exists on many more levels then the direction I have taken in this thread. Why? My interests clearly also lie within the more metaphysical and personal relationships such as the "you" molecule.


Originally posted by unityemissions
People have long believed in a separation of mind and matter, but I think this is a delusion. How is it that I may slip, hit my head, damage a region, and never be the same? It's because the mind is synonymous with the physical systems of the body; namely the brain.


Right, but I don't see how any of that detracts from the fact while so you may splat your head on concrete, there will still be:

Physical Reality.
Cognitive Reality.
The Self.

Now just transformed and different from the splatting of ones head.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming

Originally posted by unityemissions
Reality is reality.


Sure, and chemistry is chemistry, physics is physics but I assure you there is a lot more to these systems in terms of identifiable parts and systems.


Originally posted by unityemissions
There aren't levels of reality, there just is what there is.


That may be your opinion, however if we look within "Reality" itself we find it has many levels. For example, looking at reality relative to scale introduces new patterns of information about reality.


You lost me.



If we look at reality and apply dimensional reduction we have first, second and third dimensions with mathematical and geometrical evidence of possible forth and beyond.

In a geometrical view point, reality appears also to have many levels.

If we take light, which is composed of the visual part of the spectrum. Although we only see what the visual spectrum of light registers with our eyes, within the visual spectrum is an Electromagnetic Spectrum of which many levels exist.

Reality exists on many more levels then the direction I have taken in this thread. Why? My interests clearly also lie within the more metaphysical and personal relationships such as the "you" molecule.


I haven't a clue why you mention any of this. Reality doesn't exist on multiple levels, it's simply there. The only thing that has multiple levels is the interpretation of reality. We perceive differently based on our sensory organs..what does this have to do with reality?!




Originally posted by unityemissions
People have long believed in a separation of mind and matter, but I think this is a delusion. How is it that I may slip, hit my head, damage a region, and never be the same? It's because the mind is synonymous with the physical systems of the body; namely the brain.


Right, but I don't see how any of that detracts from the fact while so you may splat your head on concrete, there will still be:

Physical Reality.
Cognitive Reality.
The Self.

Now just transformed and different from the splatting of ones head.



I deny your view that a reality exists separate of matter and waves of the electromagnetic spectrum. I deny a "cognitive reality". It's just another way of saying perspective. This whole subjective reality meme is sickening. It leaves people to believe that whatever they think of they can just make it into a reality.

Why are people using the word "reality" to talk about things which are subjective?! How does that make the least bit of sense??



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davidius
When I dream, I experience the five senses vividly and at times I feel that it is real. But there comes a point when I wake up and realize that it was just a dream. It was all in my mind.


Dreams are wonderful. They are not physical reality material sadly. Those of us only focusing on the physical nature of reality may simply reject information that comes from "Cognitive Reality"

As dreams are completely within the realm of "Cognitive Reality" of which with further reduction also exists "The Self".

What makes "Cognitive Reality" very interesting to me, and yes this is obvious so our friend Unity will say... yes it is... so what? What ever his interpretation of the discussion is his own self-realizations and what he can bring to the table with the discussion at hand... is that "Thought" and "Cognitive Reality" are also entangled just as the self is entangled within this system.

The nature of thought is quite profound when you can observe how it renders and creates a fantastic "Dream Reality". One of the reasons why I am very passionate about dreaming. That quality of thought that I see is very rewarding to the self.


Originally posted by Davidius
This is how I view the physical realm. It is not real. I am the one who calls the shots. How I perceive you determines who you are from my perspective and vice-versa from your perspective. I may see you as a kind loving human but another may perceive you as one full of hate. The physical realm exists in our minds. We are ALL "The One" (Neo from the Matrix)


The Matrix is a great movie. More so, the concept that we might exist within some digital and intelligently designed "Virtual Reality" is also an emerging scientific theory.



Originally posted by Davidius
The cognitive reality is the nuts and bolts of the physical realm. In simple terms, thought creates reality. Since we are the main character of our lives, the other characters you see are there only for you, but they don't know it. If you pay close attention to other people in television, movies and every day life, you will find that whatever they say will have some relevance to you. Our job is to figure out what these other characters are telling you, and answer the following questions: Who am I? Why am I here? Where am I?


What evidence do we have that "our" thoughts create "this" reality. I can assure everyone that this particular discussion about thoughts and reality are very ancient and old, coming from of the oldest religions and philosophies of man.

Although a question I cannot directly answer with any merit or weight, I will say that "Precognitive Dreams" are at the fore-front of where I would start my investigation into the relationship between thought and reality. My 2 cents.


Originally posted by Davidius
The self exists within the physical and mental realities. Everything you experience and think comes from this self. This is the grand daddy of it all, God. This God fellow gives you everything you experience in life. He is always good and wants nothing more than the happiness of his creation, "The One".


I can agree that many will assert that the "Self" is also "God". I can't say if I agree or not because again, "God" is like saying everything is a "category", chemistry, reality, physics, library... you get the point.

There are far too many religious views on God to really come to the table. Unlike God, the self is very observable and self-evident. We can at least agree that we have an experience of self by which we can dive deep into what that really means.

Some good thoughts Davidus.

There is a lot to be said about the self, and I think you bring up some excellent arguments about what that means.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by unityemissions
 



Reality is reality.


Aye, that it is. I just wish it were easier to know and understand reality as a whole.


Exactly, Unity is simply trying to derail the more relative parts of what "reality" really is: which is the measurement of something capable of experiencing "it".

If all there is, is "Reality" as Unity has said, then we are all parts of reality simply experiencing itself subjectively. Ergo, what Bill Hicks has concluded.


Originally posted by sirnex

There aren't levels of reality, there just is what there is.


I don't think the OP was trying to say there are three separate distinct levels.


Precisely, I am simply direction our attention to two aspects of reality, like an interesting pattern that emerges in the Mandelbrot set.



Originally posted by sirnex
I'm not sure if you read the same post I had in this thread, but the OP clearly states that cognitive reality is dependent upon physical reality.

Physical reality is the reality we are all made out of, our atoms and the laws of physics that holds it all together. The cognitive reality is that which interprets the physical reality, that's the part that will get messed up when you bump your noggin against a lead pipe in a dark alley way trying to score an ounce... but that's a different story.

The self, that's the mysterious part right now. That's the part that does the actual experiencing. I don't buy into the new age, religious, mystic magical fantasies either, but the ultimate truth is, we don't know what the self is.

The self is that part of reality, that part of you and I that interprets what the cognitive aspect is perceiving. We don't directly experience anything, we physically can't. The OP's statement never said a lick about anything new age or religious. You just read into his statement and got what you wanted out of it.


I like your views sirnex. And you are right that I'm not trying to put food in Unity's mouth, I simply ask some questions and the rest is thread history.

For my personal interests, what you and others are saying in this thread completely fascinate me as I know it comes from everything I want to understand. It doesn't get more grass-roots then a forum thread by which to talk deeply about the nature of reality.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
You lost me.


I didn't think I had you. You seem pretty negative by the concepts of this thread? Mind you, you've always been very apprehensive about concepts that dive deeper into the self.

Can't say I don't blame you. I swim in that same ocean, and it is astronomical.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming

Originally posted by unityemissions
You lost me.


I didn't think I had you. You seem pretty negative by the concepts of this thread? Mind you, you've always been very apprehensive about concepts that dive deeper into the self.

Can't say I don't blame you. I swim in that same ocean, and it is astronomical.


Yeah well, I'm negative towards these ideas because they directly contribute to a mass of ignorance that humanity doesn't have the time play around with.

You guys have your fun in la-la land.

I'm done here.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Yeah well, I'm negative towards these ideas because they directly contribute to a mass of ignorance that humanity doesn't have the time play around with.

You guys have your fun in la-la land.

I'm done here.


Yeah, I don't think you are fit for this thread. You're just taking a big crap on it rather then giving it any real contribution of note.

Have fun on your internets.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming

Originally posted by unityemissions
Yeah well, I'm negative towards these ideas because they directly contribute to a mass of ignorance that humanity doesn't have the time play around with.

You guys have your fun in la-la land.

I'm done here.


Yeah, I don't think you are fit for this thread. You're just taking a big crap on it rather then giving it any real contribution of note.

Have fun on your internets.


Wouldn't this be an opinion based on your reality of your reality of reality.




posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Wouldn't this be an opinion based on your reality of your reality of reality.


No I base it more on thinks like this U2U we shared:


Originally posted by unityemissions
Ian,

I too have had horrible precognitive experiences. A few months before my brother passed away, I became deeply concerned that he was heading down the wrong path. I actually flipped out on him once and claimed he was doing something he wasn't. That's not like me. We got along well.

The day that he died I was very sad and didn't know why. I went to my best friend and started balling. Neither of us could make sense of it. I just said that I hurt a lot. The next morning my family came to my residence. I saw their faces and knew someone close had passed. I asked who had died. My father said, "Aaron was in an accident last nite". I started screaming and balling. I knew before he said anything further.

I don't want this gift. I don't recall ever asking for it. It only pops up when something must be known. It feels as if someone is yelling at me trying to knock some sense into me. Whatever this is, I choose not to recognize it. The burden is too much to bear. I've felt the pain in the world before. I've heard a million+ people screaming, crying, and pleaing for mercy. It's nearly enough to literally rip my very cells from the body it supports.

I guess you are stronger than I, or perhaps my experiences are of a stronger magnitude. I don't know. I just can't go down that road again until I must.


Which speaks far greater then how you are acting and behaving right now on this thread.

You have to face it. One day.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming
 


Everything has a vibration and can also be a wave through a different perspective. We can affect those so reality is really just a spectrum of energy. We too are the a delusion we are part of that energy and once one reaches an egoless state one can see this unification. Its harmony like when my two hands work together to type this information out. My left hand and right hand do not fight or have their own thoughts they just manifest the desire what the source, me, tells them to.

To function as a part or extension of this spectrum of energy is literally enlightenment.



posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PositivelyDetermined
 


Thanks PD,

I agree with the Unification aspect of energy realizing itself. There is a lot to be said about fractals in that self-similar patterns emerge, and I think in many ways the principles of reality, even as it relates to the self stems from a fractal-like system that adheres to a scale system.

The holographic principle and string theory also come to mind, what ever the exact science is, a Unification principle seems to apply to everything contained within the realm of reality.

Great stuff!




top topics



 
7
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join