It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US plans naval exercises with South Korea:Pentagon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
For the moment...this is the worlds hot spot.

North Korea has, in its own words, torn up the armistice that brought Korean War I to a close.

South Korea has retaliated for the sinking of their warship by the North by cutting off trade and money flows.

The United States has issued statements in support of its South Korean ally, and is working to get a UN security council resolution condemning the North Korean attack. Japan has issued its statements, though a bit more carefully.

In all of this, there is a wild card. The Peoples Republic of China. They can put the kibosh on the security council with its veto power.

The North Korean leader is, by all accounts reaching the West, extremely ill, with diabetes, and some related health issues stemming from that. He is not expected to live much longer. Much of these incidents may have been preciptitated by Kims wish to see his son inherit what is when all it said and done, the throne of North Korea. The cult of personality must survive...

Folks in Asia had better prepare to hunker down...I've a real bad feeling about this.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Add to that, a possible silent call to overthrow Kim before he can put his son in power?

Overthrowing Kim: A Capitalist Manifesto (Part 4)

...Dulled by tryptophan and ginseng rice wine, we spoke of Mr. Kim’s homeland. I asked Mr. Kim if his former colleagues in Pyongyang still believed in the system. He said they did not. But how did he know? As it turns out, North Koreans have found their own ways to express ideas without convicting themselves. They tell jokes with close friends, but mostly, they use inflections. What do the North Korean people want? Mr. Kim paused for a long time and thought carefully.

“They want to get rid of Kim Jong Il.”

“But surely they don’t say this.”

“No, of course they can’t say that.”

“So, how do you know?”

“They say that they want a war.”

He meant Götterdämmerung, known locally as OPLAN 5027. This was North Korean code-talk for the end of the system, a war that was worth the risk because the survivors would live with hope and ChocoPies, and without rising before dawn to attend criticism sessions.

Take the above with a grain of salt, but it doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch IMO, we are talking almost a full generation of families broken apart by the current border situation.

I would love to see Korea reunified, the time is long overdue, but I can't see any way short of conflict to bring this to fruition.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Hello,

Looks like SKorea just announced an approx. timeframe of when they're having the anti-sub drill w/ U.S.

SEOUL, May 25 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's Navy said Tuesday it will hold an anti-submarine drill this weekin waters off the west coast in its first show of military force after the North's torpedo attack on a Seoul warship, while the North threatened "practical military measures" against the South's warships.
yonhapnews

Also an estimated total of: 10 warships, 3,500ton class destroyer & 3 patrol ships will participate in this up-coming exercise being held in the Yellow Sea.

On top of that, NKorea is severing ALL inter-korean communication ties until President Lee is out of office & expel all South Korean personnel from the inter-Korean industrial complex in the North's border town of Kaesong. Seems to me a slow evacuation is starting on North's side.

One last thing I'm finding strange is how H.C. is still asking China to do something while China's position on NKorea is still "unclear". However Russia is giving SKorea "close consultation" w/ SKorea on how-to punish NKorea?? Russia helping SKorea

So we China "unclear"(China pretty much siding w/ NoKo) & on the other foot we have Russia helping SKorea in punishing NKorea? Did I miss something here w/ Russia?

Dang, yonhap is poppin' off like crazy today. Hard to keep up!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by JWash]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
On a side note, here's pictures of SKorean exercises.
SKorean exercise pics

I really don't see this being a long drawn-out war unless China gets involved at some point. I do believe NKorea would try to "take" Seoul and use Seoul as a bargaining chip. I can see that being played out in different ways. Because it's doable. Never underestimate what your opponent is capable of & don't get to cocky!

I pray that doesn't happen.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If my memory serves me correctly, didn't NKorea test an underground nuke around Memorial weekend last year(2009). NKorea likes to do things/tests on our military holidays while we're sleeping.
Memorial Day 2009

And SKorea/U.S. will be conducting joint military exercise around Memorial weekend this year. Something else to watch.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It's about 8:30am 05/26/10 when news came out about 4 NKorean 300-ton-class submarines are simply missing!! SKorea are saying that NKorea's subs whereabouts are unknown.... for the last 2days.
Read for more info

It might be part of the SKorean/U.S. anti-sub exercise? Or perhaps it's not a drill(cover for op)?

Like I mentioned in my above post, NKorea likes to do things on our holidays...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Unless the North Korean regime is in danger of falling or maybe in transition to a new leader then open warfare won't break out again in Korea . Its just as well that this is the case because the notions that South Korea can be defended successful at present due to the forces in the south technological advantage us utter tripe .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Hello Xpert11,

You have a good point of view, thanks for replying. For a second there, I thought I was just talking to myself.

You probably already know, intel on NKorea is hard to come by. Lately I haven't heard too much chatter on NKorea having internal regime conflicts. Honestly, the last time I've heard chatter was last year. So it still could exist.

My guess would be, IF there happens to be a war on the korean peninsula, thats when we would start seeing "cracks" in the regime. And leave it to the U.S. at that time to fully exploit it.

You have to admit, our times are getting interesting w/ each passing day...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JWash

What interests me about the sinking is that nothing happens in a regime like North Korea's without orders from the top . North Korea Navy is hardly its primary branch of its military . North has almost always been the aggressor in such incidents since the end of the Korean War .

Admittedly its more speculative then anything else but maybe the sinking was a play from the hardliners inside the North Korean regime ?

Cheers xpert11.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

why is it that the us is once again sticking its nose into another countries affairs other than they business interests in the south.how many more times is the north Korean little # going to continue to blackmail the us into giving into it`s demands ,as he has done this over and over and the us always bends for them. 1 little # seems to control all of you.
it must be nice being hooked and reeled in every time you turn around .is he fishing again to get his own way once again or does he seem to think that your government will once again bow down and kowtow to his demands.

hell die soon enough and then maybe someone with a brain will take it over and start to make the changes necessary rather than rattling his sabers.
how many years has he pushed the us buttons and gotten away with it .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join