It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future of solar energy just got brighter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Semiconductor Manufacturing Technique Holds Promise for Solar Energy

Science is great!

Thanks to a new semiconductor manufacturing method pioneered at the University of Illinois, the future of solar energy just got brighter.

Typically, gallium arsenide is deposited in a single thin layer on a small wafer. Either the desired device is made directly on the wafer, or the semiconductor-coated wafer is cut up into chips of the desired size. The Illinois group decided to deposit multiple layers of the material on a single wafer, creating a layered, "pancake" stack of gallium arsenide thin films.

"If you grow 10 layers in one growth, you only have to load the wafer one time," said Li, a professor of electrical and computer engineering. "If you do this in 10 growths, loading and unloading with temperature ramp-up and ramp-down take a lot of time. If you consider what is required for each growth -- the machine, the preparation, the time, the people -- the overhead saving our approach offers is a significant cost reduction."

Next the researchers individually peel off the layers and transfer them. "By doing this we can generate much more material more rapidly and more cost effectively," Rogers said. "We're creating bulk quantities of material, as opposed to just the thin single-layer manner in which it is typically grown."

Let`s just hope they use it!

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Sweet, lets get this going now. I have a need (energy bill) to get off the grid and this may be the step I have been looking for.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Freeing the material from the wafer also opens the possibility of flexible, thin-film electronics made with gallium arsenide or other high-speed semiconductors. "To make devices that can conform but still retain high performance, that's significant," Li said.

In a paper to be published online May 20 in the journal Nature, the group describes its methods and demonstrates three types of devices using gallium arsenide chips manufactured in multilayer stacks: light sensors, high-speed transistors and solar cells. The authors also provide a detailed cost comparison.

This could mean that instead of electrostatic-susceptible pin connector arrays, the thin material may be viable alternative. I wonder what kind of difference it would make on heat diversion.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's good to see some improvements in solar energy. I've been rooting for it all along. In fact my water is heated by a solar panel apart from the light on my doorstep which works by pure sunshine.
Now, tell me how cool am i? Lol

new topics

top topics

join