It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Axelrod: Oil spill adds urgency to passing energy and climate bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Another crisis is being used to force another bill down the throats of the American taxpayer.. This time?

Cap & Trade..

thehill.com

The ongoing oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico should add urgency in Congress to pass an energy and climate bill, White House senior advisor David Axelrod said Monday.

Axelrod said that the spill, from which oil continues to pour into the gulf, underscores the need for developing alternative sources of energy.

"I would like to think that this will increase the sense of urgency in Congress, because it underscores the value in developing alternative sources of energy," the senior advisor said during an appearance on MSNBC. "So I hope that it will give added impetus to Congress to come up with and pass a comprehensive plan."

Too Big to fail = emergency bailout

Automakers in trouble = Cash for Clunkers and another buyout

Arizona's cry for help with immigration enforcement = cries for the need for a reform bill

Now this..

Can we survive until November, to get a proper representative government in DC. Right now it all looks reactionary to me and why the need to speed any of this through Congress?

Will this energy bill fix the disaster in the gulf?

If not, why hurry.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
What a hoax, doesn't people understand that oil is the backing medium of the US currency? since the 70s gold is not what backs the US dollars is oil so all those that think that bills on climate and energy is going to take us from the dependency of oilare nothing but fools.

We are a nation that Produces oil that is why we are still running a deficit with no repercussions thanks to that oil.

America is run by oil cartels, the banking institutions belong to them. . .

Wake up people this nothing but another power grabbing bill and you still will be paying for oil for the rest of your lives.

The entire world runs because of oil

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
*Blood boiling* CLEAN UP THE DAMN MESS FIRST! I don't know what the gov't and BP are at, but this is a conspiracy. This was allowed to happen. I find it hard to believe that BP is this f'ing incompetent and now the gov't is talking about pushing them to the sideline to "take over saving LA". BS! Louisiana has been S'ed on twice now. There are MANY smaller companies that have varied solutions and they are ignoring them. And those that have enough clout have to wait for whom? The ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS. The same people that built the sturdy levees initally. My father was a Navy SeaBee and he has ALWAYS had contempt for those hacks and it has transferred to me seeing thier gross and criminal mismangement of EVERYTHING they touch. F the gov't help, F BP, LA time to take matters into your own hands. Becasue if you don't this will be put off and spun into a damn political tool while you suffer. Oh and by the way, to the member who recently commented on another Oil Spill thread about "the US has to get UN approval to nuke the oil well otherwise it is a criminal act"...screw the UN. S+F

[edit on 24-5-2010 by djvexd]Edit for dyslexia

[edit on 24-5-2010 by djvexd]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Ah HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

what did I tell yas?

I have said it on the forum, more then once,

[edit on 113131p://bMonday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This new video makes similar claims, that this is more nefarious than just an oil "accident", and also "supports" the claims being made on other threads regarding deployment of Nat Guard units.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I knew it , sromdancer i was with you from the start of this i other posts i repeatedly said this was for ulterior motives, like passing cap and trade, or other bills.

Like i have said before as well, if you want a good idea of whats going on "follow the money"

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
You can check out the players here.

“The Power Bill,”

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

*Blood boiling* CLEAN UP THE DAMN MESS FIRST! I don't know what the gov't and BP are at, but this is a conspiracy. This was allowed to happen.

I believe you are correct, This was allowed to happen.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brit-Tex
I knew it , sromdancer i was with you from the start of this i other posts i repeatedly said this was for ulterior motives, like passing cap and trade, or other bills.

Like i have said before as well, if you want a good idea of whats going on "follow the money"

It is so blatantly in your face obvious, at this point. Yes?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Just witnessed a live presser in Louisiana. those involved were Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, Governor Bobby Jindal, Senator's Dick Durbin and Mary Landreaux, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and key members of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee

It should be available soon on the web, the atmosphere was one of severe frustration with the clean up efforts, pledges to hold BP completely responsible financially for this, and one thing that struck me as this was something that should have been done WEEKS ago, it seems a little too late IMO, and just wonder if it has anything to do with Axelrod's call for swift legislation..

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Many here predicted this, me included.

They are so predictable it's disgusting.

And who supports Cap And Trade you might ask...yes you know who :

[E]arlier yesterday, BP PLC's chief executive, Tony Hayward, argued in favor of a cap-and-trade plan because it provides certainty based on an actual emissions cap, while a carbon tax does not guarantee that emissions will fall.

BP!

This looks more and more like it was staged.

Next step? Nationalizing the oil industry.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Makes me really wonder if this disaster is all too convienent in it's timing in relation to the "cap and trade" legislation.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Now there's a White House presser on the oil deal.. so that's the Axelrod story, the presser down in the gulf and now this White House presser, all in the same day, and Shep on FNC mentioned that Axelrod will be on later to answer questions.

No way this was preplanned, nothing to see here..

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

No, is not going to be an nationalization my friend, because none of what is going on in America have to do with nationalization that is the biggest divert of all times.

This is more power grab by private interest, here and abroad.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
For a minute I thought the interview on FNC, with Axelrod was going to be Energy bill free, but he didn't disappoint and the last few minutes were on the need for a new energy plan for America. :shk:

So now we know the real reason for the expanded TV exposure on the oil disaster from our friends in DC.

Another presser scheduled for 4:30 PM ish Gulf coast time, according to one of the speakers at the White House earlier.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Whether it was pre-planned or not, it fits the bill. The modus operandi for those who want to implement more societal control is to take advantage of every catastrophe or disaster that comes along in order to force new legislation through Congress under the umbrella of fear, which is used to get tacit public approval, compliance, or surrender.

Now those who oppose Cap and Trade can be demonized as Oil Company sychophants and anti-environmentalists, who will bring us another Gulf Oil Disaster unless Cap and Trade is passed. Its total BS, but the gullible US population, swamped with media propaganda has a tendency to swallow such BS, while imagining it to be caviar.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Surprise ?

Obama cites Gulf oil spill in alternative energy push

President Barack Obama used the growing oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico to renew his pitch for alternative energy Wednesday, arguing that the unfolding environmental disaster "gives you a sense of where we're going" without comprehensive reform.
The federal government is "going to bring every resource necessary to put a stop" to the spill, the president said during a visit to a solar panel manufacturing facility in Fremont, California. "We will not rest until this well is shut, the environment is repaired, and the cleanup is complete."
But, he added, "a lot of damage has been done already. The spill in the Gulf, which is just heartbreaking, only underscores the necessity" of seeking alternative fuel sources.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Surprise ?

Do you want us to turn a blind eye to this elephant in the room?

We've already started to discuss solutions on ATS before that article was published.

We really don't need crude oil wells anymore when we can reform compatible gasoline alternatives. How do we power such reformers.... harvest energy from the Sun.

Big Oil is an addiction. It's time to grow up and get off this addiction.

The capitalist tries to lock down Big Oil with with the spin that crude oil wells are more efficient means to produce fuel. The error with that is the internal combustion energy that uses such fuel is spent and left as emissions in our environmental. Those emissions are not carbon-neutral. The BIG OIL ELEPHANT in the room is the is that the cost and efficiency to reform those emissions back into a carbon neutral form have been left out of the equation.

Fuel cells show we can start with environmental friendly carbon neutral substances, harvest energy to reform those substances to desires fuels, and return those spent fuel back to environmental friendly carbon neutral substances.

Why should we, or the President, ignore the fact of what it takes to clean-up and return crude oil to a carbon-neutral form?

Closing the Carbon Loophole and Cracking Down on Polluters

We must take immediate action to reduce the carbon pollution that threatens our climate and sustains our dependence on fossil fuels. We have had limits in place on pollutants like sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and other harmful emissions for some time. After decades of inaction, we will finally close the carbon pollution loophole by limiting the amount of carbon polluters are allowed to pump into the atmosphere.

* Closing the Carbon Loophole. By stemming carbon pollution through a market-based cap, we can address in a systematic way all the energy challenges that we face: curbing our dependence on foreign oil, reducing our use of fossil fuels, and promoting new industries right here in America.

* Protecting American Consumers. Revenues generated by closing the carbon loophole will be returned to the people, especially vulnerable families, communities, and businesses.

* Promoting U.S. Competitiveness. Ensure a level playing field for domestic manufacturing and secure significant actions to combat climate change by our trading partners.

Recovery Act

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dzonatas

You forgot the corporate loophole angle of the proposed sweeping reforms..

The ability to BUY credits to achieve the so called goal of carbon neutral..

It's just another way to burden taxpayers, and by the way, alot of those corporate oil giants are already comfortably positioned to capitalize on this as well, they just needed the time to get their bucks in a row.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
corporate oil giants are already comfortably positioned to capitalize on this as well

If they continue capitalistic goals, buy low sell high, or drill lower sell higher, then this is the end of the world for them.

new topics

top topics

join