It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kurdish children jailed in Turkey under anti-terror law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Kurdish children jailed in Turkey under anti-terror law

news.bbc.co.uk

Most of them were detained for taking part in anti-government protests, under a law banning any show of support for the outlawed Kurdish Workers' Party, or PKK.

The government says it knows the law, which requires a minimum five-year sentence, is too harsh, but it has yet to change it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What this is all about is people being put in jail for taking part in a protest. I will not argue that people who support terror should be put in jail, but is just taking part in a demonstration. Most free countries have some sort of free speech law, it seems that does not apply here. Something more to consider, when terrorists or there supporters go to jail they come out more hardened then when they went it. I fear Turkey could be feeling the affects of that for a long time.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I heard Turkey is gonna became an Islamic extremist country one day

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

I will not argue that people who support terror should be put in jail, but is just taking part in a demonstration.

news.bbc.co.uk

Here in the US we have almost half the country supporting terror. They have bumper stickers that say "I support the troops". That is alot of people to put in jail.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Any open support of Hezbollah or Hamas in the US will also likely get you termed a terrorist supporter and jailed. Same too in "The only democracy in the Middle East" - Israel - which arrests and holds children without any charge or court appearance.
I know, it's off topic and the bad guy in this story is Turkey, but just making the point that it's not just them that are doing it.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

the west are all hypocrites, i have had my life destroyed for 18 years in uk, and cannot live one moment in peace, living in a virtual prison, with no privacy what so ever, and have never committed a crime.

So how is the west any different to that country.

London uk, police proved with my life the police organize premeditated murder.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It's a damn shame that children can be deemed criminals for taking part in a political demonstration. One would hope that the Turkish judicial system would find the ability to see reason regarding this issue, if for nothing else basic human decency.

As humans, we should be nurturing our children not condemning them to a life in prison.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Turkey's heavy handed approach is creating more enemies for them by hardening the resolve of the separatists.

It reminds me of the Quebecois in Canada except the situation is opposite. Addressing fairly their desire to maintain their language and culture has resulted in Quebec remaining in Canada and (almost) no bloodshed.

Turkey should consider a more cooperative approach. Their current tactic is doomed to not only fail but to make the tensions and hatred stronger.

It is pretty basic human nature really.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
[

London uk, police proved with my life the police organize premeditated murder.

Andy
Thanks for posting,
could you point me to a thread or link that shows more about the above statement?

new topics

top topics

join