It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After keeping us waiting for a century, Mark Twain will finally reveal all

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

After keeping us waiting for a century, Mark Twain will finally reveal all

www.independent.co.uk

Exactly a century after rumours of his death turned out to be entirely accurate, one of Mark Twain's dying wishes is at last coming true: an extensive, outspoken and revelatory autobiography which he devoted the last decade of his life to writing is finally going to be published.

The creator of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn and some of the most frequently misquoted catchphrases in the English language left behind 5,000 unedited pages of memoirs when he died in 1910, together with handwritten
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is kind of cool and like most other Twain fans, I can't wait to get my hands on it. For some reason, Mark Twain wanted the biographers to wait 100 years before publishing his biography from 5,000 unedited pages of memoirs left behind when he died in 1910.

Why would he want 100 years to pass unless there are some juicy details? As of now, we can speculate as to what insight will be gleamed from the genius writer, even 100 years after his death.

--airspoon

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I just saw this yesterday and I'm also excited. I only recently read Tom Sawyer for the first time and thought it was great. I was wondering why I was never assigned to read it in school until I got to the smoking parts. I can only assume that some people got their panties in a bunch and banned it. Too bad, it's a brilliant novel.

I've got Huck Finn sitting here to read too.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This is cool, and because of the one hundred year mandate, I agree there must be some juicy parts in it

One thing that I am wondering is who owns the rights to the manuscripts? There is going to be some big money going around when they are on the book store shelves.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Excellent, I'd really love to read this. Great find S+F.

Thankyou.

Edit to add:

I know we've all probably seen this clip before, but I quite like it AND it's actually very different to the youtube title... I obtained a copy of the full movie and it's much better quality than the upload, plus a nice engaging story.

[edit on 24/5/1010 by jokei]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Samuel Clemens the writer with attitude. Now that boy could write.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have actually visited his former home in CT on multiple occasions, in an effort to teach my children about this brilliant man. There is talk about closing down the house/museum and they have already reduced the days to which it is open to the public so I could only hope that the money, at least in part, would go to preserving this rich piece of history. How many kids have been inspired and how many more will become inspired by visiting that house and learning about Twain?

--airspoon

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
One thing that I am wondering is who owns the rights to the manuscripts? There is going to be some big money going around when they are on the book store shelves.

I'm thinking the estate still owns the rights, though no family survives to benefit.

Maybe they'll build Twainworld.

Edit: dang this poor connection

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Cobra5000]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Perhaps Gene Roddenberry was on to something....

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Rowsdowerr]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I find myself wondering how they will 'copyright' the work so it generates millions for the university.

Or is the 'estate' still active?

Or will this be a public domain work as was most likely intended?

We shall see what becomes of the record. once they work out the details.

Can you imagine the MSM field day if they can make any money off this at all?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I believe that CMG WORLDWIDE is the exclusive owner of the Samuel Langhorne Clemens Estate, better known as the Estate of Mark Twain. The words and signature "Mark Twain" as well as the image and voice of Mark Twain are owned by the estate so it could only be assumed that the biography would also be owned by the estate. CMG is looking at a very bright future.

--airspoon

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I can not what to read it...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I love this guy's work.

Not just his books, but his quotes and political/religious beliefs as well...

S&F, great story. I'm excited to read this...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
yes his home should be given some of the money .
and yes the man was brilliant Samuel Clemons my you rest in peace and i pray we do justice by you
aa good old tom read that book 30 times by now every boys dreams cant tell you how many times me and tom went fighting pirates.
and how many chest of gold we found is amazing .
I pity kids now all they got is stupid cartoons like a sponge

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Thanks for the low down!

I'm a big Mark Twain fan.

Wow, can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

I collect quotes and have quite a few from him.

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain. Mark Twain

Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with. Mark Twain

I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position. Mark Twain

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."— Mark Twain

"Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it."— Mark Twain

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." — Mark Twain

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed."— Mark Twain

and my favorite:

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man." — Mark Twain

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Not only was his childrens' adventures brilliant but the man was a brilliant writer, philosopher and student of life. I suggest that people invest in CMG because this book is going to be a hit, hopefully acquiring new fans along the way.

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

join