It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching the BP spill feed- confirm?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
I thought they were ordered to stop using the stuff by the EPA??

The EPA didn't like it, but BP said that other chemicals were unproven or unavailable in sufficient quanitites.
Dispersed oil is still oil and much harder to clean up than floating or globs of oil. It just fools the people and looks like things are getting better. They may be making it worse by using the disperants. There isn't a lot of research on it.
If it is a bad solution...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
New pics, it isnt looking good.
39 New pics, Boston.com

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wirefly

Is it true that more oil leaks into the gulf from natural seepage every
day than is what's coming from this drilling site? If true, it must be the
concentration of having so much oil coming from such a small area that's
causing all the dire "disaster" and "catastrophe" warnings. -cwm

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
just wanted to comment on comparing this to the 10 worst spills...I'm not sure if that thing has topped the number one spot yet, but I highly doubt that the estimates they are making are accurate, i just don't remember any of the previous oil spills making such a huge slick on top of the water (and thats just what we can see, not what we can't). From 5000 feet down, how much of that oil and whatever else is getting spread out and/or hanging around at different levels before completely coming to the surface?

So while I'm on the fence on just how big of impact it will be on the environment (yes its big, but is it doomsday big?), I think its safe to say we are approaching the top 3 if not quickly approaching the number one spot on this.

The Earth does seem to have a way of repairing itself better than we give her credit for tho, just look at Mt St Helen's, if I am not mistaken that area has recovered much faster than the experts thought were possible.

Its my belief that the real impact (felt impact by us anyways) is the one on peoples lives that depend on that part of the ocean for their lively hood.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
New pics, it isnt looking good.
39 New pics, Boston.com

In Picture #8 with the kids playing on the beach, is that an Oil drilling
platform in the distance...about 2 miles out in the Gulf? How does
anyone expect so much drilling and to never have an accident, either
through negligence, or via a natural cause. NOTHING operates
perfect 100% of the time. I guess the question is, are the rewards
worth the occasional "disaster" every few decades or so?
-cwm

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Was anyone else watching just before ???

Looked like huuuge pieces of metal came away from what ever that contraption is on the spill and mass amounts of oil just came pouring through.....

Looks like someone didn't do up all the bolts right

Can't believe the amout that is still coming out of it.... This cant be good for us all

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Someone living in New Orleans or near the Gulf of Mexico should do a sea shore live feed. Start a thread here on ATS so WE can actually see what is going on ourselves and work out a proper course of action if we feel they aren't doing enough. Might be time to actually be about what we talk about and stop talking...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
I'm beginning to think that someone in our government is trying to sabotage our country.

Just now beginning to get that idea, eh? Join the club .... it's been an active one for some years now. No dues, no meetings required, just an ability to look at & comprehend simple truths.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
I think the Democrats really screwed up.....so, I am going to say it here:

Please bring back water boarding so that we can get the truth out of BP!

Thank you.

Hear hear! All in favor say, 'Aye'!

Aye!

[edit on 24/5/2010 by rcktxguy]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Enough is enough. We need a GREEN REVOLUTION, NOW. It can be peaceful or it can be violent, but it needs to be.

All incompetent, unresponsive, apathetic, self-serving clowns within both the Obama administration and the petrochemical companies need to be 86’ed, one way or the other. It’s time for them to either freely step aside or justifiably get kicked to the curb.

F.T.G.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by seasoul]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm reading some early reports that the live feed is looped. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if the feed is looped, perhaps that could mean that they are trying to hide something else? Maybe they let out a huge amount of oil intentionally as to cause a panic and commotion - but it was completely sealable the entire time. Maybe a stretch, but this can be possible.

With the video feed on loop, they could cap it closed in secret and literally leech oil without anyone knowing about it?

Why would you want to secretly steal your own oil? Well, insurance? Manipulation of the supply/demand market? Or to put a tremendous amount of oil in a secret reserve for some alternative purpose? Maybe to fill up a fallout shelter or two, for a few years?

But first, can this be confirmed by anyone else out there?

[edit on 24-5-2010 by patmac]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by toepick
just wanted to comment on comparing this to the 10 worst spills...I'm not sure if that thing has topped the number one spot yet,

but I highly doubt that the estimates they are making are accurate, i just don't remember any of the previous oil spills making such a huge slick on top of the water (and thats just what we can see, not what we can't). From 5000 feet down, how much of that oil and whatever else is getting spread out and/or hanging around at different levels before completely coming to the surface?

So while I'm on the fence on just how big of impact it will be on the environment (yes its big, but is it doomsday big?), I think its safe to say we are approaching the top 3 if not quickly approaching the number one spot on this.

You should go back and re-read my post on the 10 worst spills. It seems you didn't understand it's point. If you would have read it, you would know this spill hasn't reached the #1 spot yet.

At the time there were an estimated 57.5 million gallons spilled. This would put it number 7 on the list from the top spot which was a 250 million gallon spill.

I posted it because lots of people were saying it was the worst spill in history and doing all this doom and gloom. I wanted to put perspective on the spill so alleviate these fears.

Granted its very bad for this area.. I live in New Orleans, but it's not the end of the world as some were making it out to be.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Good point - where is FEMA in all this?

Out of all the news reports over the last 5 weeks or so, I don't think I've heard mention of FEMA once.

They keep talking about the "Department of the Interior" and VERY occasionally mention the EPA (who you'd think would be all over this event), but surely this should be right in the ballpark for the mandate for the EPA or FEMA to take control of the situation, or at least offer to be a liaison between BP, State Government, and Federal Government?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by seasoul
Enough is enough. We need a GREEN REVOLUTION, NOW. It can be peaceful or it can be violent, but it needs to be.

All incompetent, unresponsive, apathetic, self-serving clowns within both the Obama administration and the petrochemical companies need to be 86’ed, one way or the other. It’s time for them to either freely step aside or get justifiably kicked to the curb.

Unless your willing to give up your car, heating and powering your house, riding on trains, buses, planes and any form of public transportation, and become totally self sufficient for food (so it doesn't get trucked from outside communities), you shouldn't be preaching about a green revolution.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by seasoul

right..... just more reason to push the 'Save the Earth' Pantheistic religous view that seesm to be taking over the world

TPTB must really be stepping up a gear if they needed to do this....

[edit on 24-5-2010 by seasoul]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rcktxguy

Just a little bit of motivation for them to tell us just what the frick is going on!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Related with some starling insight on financial aspects:

BP CEO Rates Chances of ‘Top Kill’ Success at About 70 Percent

www.businessweek.com...

And perhaps even more bizarre:

Crude Oil Futures Tumble to a Seven-Week Low as Dollar Surges

www.businessweek.com...

< fuming while scratching head >

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
To put this spill into Perspective:

Here are the Top 10 worst of all time:

1. Kuwait - 1991 - 520 million gallons
Iraqi forces opened the valves of several oil tankers in order to slow the invasion of American troops. The oil slick was four inches thick and covered 4000 square miles of ocean.

2. Mexico - 1980 - 100 million gallons
An accident in an oil well caused an explosion which then caused the well to collapse. The well remained open, spilling 30,000 gallons a day into the ocean for a full year.

3. Trinidad and Tobago - 1979 - 90 million
During a tropical storm off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago, a Greek oil tanker collided with another ship, and lost nearly its entire cargo.

4. Russia - 1994 - 84 million gallons
A broken pipeline in Russia leaked for eight months before it was noticed and repaired.

Currently we are at 57.5 million gallons.

Thought this info may be of interest to some and give a good idea of the worst case and how far we are from it.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

Yeah, That sounds about right, but I think we might want to do the math.

Let's see.
NPR

A computer program simply tracks particles and calculates how fast they are moving. Wereley put the BP video of the gusher into his computer. He made a few simple calculations and came up with an astonishing value for the rate of the oil spill: 70,000 barrels a day — much higher than the official estimate of 5,000 barrels a day.

The method is accurate to a degree of plus or minus 20 percent.

Given that uncertainty, the amount of material spewing from the pipe could range from 56,000 barrels to 84,000 barrels a day. It is important to note that it's not all oil. The short video BP released starts out with a shot of methane, but at the end it seems to be mostly oil.

So at best from their number for say 35 days we get between 83 million and 123 million gallons.

Getting a bit high on the list, don't you think?

I feel much better now that I know it is not #1 yet.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'm thinking this spill is closer to 120 million gallons then 45 million gallons putting it up there toward the worst spill ever and its only been leaking for a month. I can discharge or load close to 100,000 barrels a day at 50-100 psi that's 4.2 million gallons a day. This well is pushing more pressure through a bigger pipeline. 5000 barrels is bul# BP knows it too, any one of their refineries can load or discharge that much product in an hour at 50-100psi through a 12inch pipeline. Do not listen to BP, quite fighting about barrel figures. I move this # for a living as do 1000's of other tankermen out there. This well even if its only pushing 50-100psi over the pressure it needs to overcome water pressure has to be leaking atleast 100,000 barrels in a 24hour period.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by grizzard83]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You sound like a sales rep/exec I used to work for. He didn't know squat, but always barked out pep talks and orders to his underlings. But I digress.

This type of blowout has happened before.

www.incidentnews.gov...

It was one of the worst spills ever, also in the Gulf of Mexico that took 9 months to stop.

As long as people want cheap petrol/energy, you're going to pay this kind of eco price.

I'm not happy with the whole situation either.

Originally posted by Interfacer
I'M TIRED OF IT!!!!!!!!! We HAVE TO STOP saying words like "Can this be stopped" or "Are we(mankind) able to fix it?" . STOP talking like this. Its not a question of if we can fix it. We can not afford that question. We have to fix it or we are done. So no more of that line of questioning please. This is literally for our lives people. We WILL fix it. We just have to pull all our power as a civilization that we know we have and get it done. This is absolutely NOT going to end us. By saying defeatist statements you individuals sound like you gave up, and that has to stop! We WILL get this straight, I promise. As soon as DC gets mobilized and they get their heads out of their asses we will be fine.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Interfacer]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join