It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching the BP spill feed- confirm?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
For what is that black thin pipe? Chemicals to bind the oil?

an our ago they tried to do a box on the hole, then a big white cloud was there, then they removed that box again.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by cushycrux]

I would imagine that would be natural gas. Layers of toxic gas tend to be present at most wells which is why they have multiple safety valves to supposedly stop accidental poisonous gases from occurring on the rigs. I had a friend who worked on one for years...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Daft questions, but what happens if the whole Oil well drains out into the sea. Will the water then go into the well, and what would happen if it did?

Surely that can't be good.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
Daft questions, but what happens if the whole Oil well drains out into the sea. Will the water then go into the well, and what would happen if it did?

Surely that can't be good.

I have no idea, but I read in an article that the volume of the oil/gas deposit that they were drilling is roughly the size/volume of Mt. Everest. That just can't be good if that entire thing empties out into the ocean.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Serious Question:

What are the best sources to get a time line of what has been tried with details on what has worked and what hasn't?

I want up to the minute details on what is happening with video.. on the surface as well as below the water surface.

In the BP video they say for everything they can try that fails they know where to go next and what to do.. where is that info for the public?

I don't be,believe them one bit. they are making things up as they go along just hoping the next idea works.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Like I said before, salt water from underground is already replacing the oil from the pool (deposit). It is what happens naturally.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I can't believe some of the incredibly uninformed ideas on this thread. Some are so "out there" that I question humanity's intelligence. (If there are any engineers reading this, I suspect you feel the same way?)

I read an article recently from an Oil Engr with a simple solution. Shaped charges to cut the pipe...install valve on the clean cut....close valve...problem solved. It's proven technology and the ocean depth even makes it more simple.

Why this hasn't already been completed, I don't understand?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Takamuri

"They are doing what they can do."

ARE YOU INSANE??

There are hundreds of things they could be doing right now to fix this problem. For one.... They could use beeswax to clean up the oil. Yes BEESWAX! It can be made into PRP (Petroleum Remediation Product), a completely natural, non-hazardous, non-toxic, and biodegradable form of beeswax. It was developed by NASA, so don't tell me the government doesn't know about it.

So...now do you think their doing all they can, or making a problem worse?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm beginning to think that someone in our government is trying to sabotage our country.

Otherwise, how on earth could it be taking so freaking long to plug a freaking hole?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Anyone know why BP, with their perverse need to secure the oil while addressing this clusterfornication, has not put high powered suction on the menu? At 5000 feat, it is undoubtedly difficult, but so is everything else their outting out there.

Specifically, I'm thinking you deploy a largish hose/tube, or more realistically giving the depth we're dealing with, a series of tube and pump mechanisms down towards the leak. Position the mouth within a few feet of what is a relatively smalll point of origin, and start sucking the oil/water blend from the source. This could prevent a large percentage of the oil from dispersing into the gulf, while still allowing the corporate overlords to get their 40 pieces of silver.

A stop gap measure, to be sure, but viable.

Come to think of it. A few hundred tons of debris dumped on top should stop the flow long enough for them to place some sort of sealant in place. I'm thinking a combination of steel ball bearings, high density gravel, and clay should be able to stem the flow to the level of moderate natural seapage until the "relief well" can be drilled.

The ideas that BP has floated thus far are decent enough and first glance. Then you consider the engineering degrees involved in their conception and realize that (in that context) they are spectacularly stupid.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What are those long squiggly creatures that swim by they are pretty big when you can catch them swimming by.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I think the Democrats really screwed up.....so, I am going to say it here:

Please bring back water boarding so that we can get the truth out of BP!

Thank you.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Video Released today of past work on Well.

This should bring us up to date on the progress of these proceedings

I'd embed it but don't know how.

" Oil spill video: BP video shows ROVs working on blowout preventer "

www.nola.com...

Here is a whole page of videos related to this spill:

topics.nola.com...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
To put this spill into Perspective:

Here are the Top 10 worst of all time:

1. Kuwait - 1991 - 520 million gallons
Iraqi forces opened the valves of several oil tankers in order to slow the invasion of American troops. The oil slick was four inches thick and covered 4000 square miles of ocean.

2. Mexico - 1980 - 100 million gallons
An accident in an oil well caused an explosion which then caused the well to collapse. The well remained open, spilling 30,000 gallons a day into the ocean for a full year.

3. Trinidad and Tobago - 1979 - 90 million
During a tropical storm off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago, a Greek oil tanker collided with another ship, and lost nearly its entire cargo.

4. Russia - 1994 - 84 million gallons
A broken pipeline in Russia leaked for eight months before it was noticed and repaired.

5. Persian Gulf - 1983 - 80 million gallons
A tanker collided with a drilling platform which, eventually, collapsed into the sea. The well continued to spill oil into the ocean for seven months before it was repaired.

6. South Africa - 1983 - 79 million gallons
A tanker cought fire and was abandoned before sinking 25 miles off the coast of Saldanha Bay.

7. France - 1978 - 69 million gallons
A tanker's rudder was broken in a severe storm, despite several ships responding to its distress call, the ship ran aground and broke in two. It's entire payload was dumped into the English Channel.

8. Angola - 1991 - more than 51 million gallons
The tanker expolded, exact quantity of spill unknown

9. Italy - 1991 - 45 million gallons
The tanker exploded and sank off the coast of Italy and continued leaking it's oil into the ocean for 12 years.

10. Odyssey Oil Spill - 1988 - 40 million gallons
700 nautical miles off the cost of Nova Scotia.

The WKRG Live Video Feed has a counter with an estimate of gallons spilled.

www.wkrg.com...

Currently we are at 57.5 million gallons.

Thought this info may be of interest to some and give a good idea of the worst case and how far we are from it.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Question: Is the oil and gas being released into the gulf modifying the gulf temp from the oil and gas being warmer from exiting the interior of Earth.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I was watching the live cam and there seems to be green stuff spewing out of it now?And it could just be the view but i couldnt see the sea floor bottom like i could last time i watched this cam.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Im watching the feed right now(from the link to the bp website)
The ROV is movin around. I see this constant flow of stuff comin out and once when the arm moved it a bunch more started to come out. Idk if its oil or not but its still interesting.
Cool find.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It seems that the ROV is now sat in the best possible position to block as much of the "leak" from view as possible.....it seems the leak isso much bigger now

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I agree with you. Nukes are bad.

The way a large diameter high pressure gas main would be closed off in an emergency would be to cover the end of the pipe with an end cap with a hole in its centre allowing the pressure to continue to pass through it while it is secured into place. you would then have a smaller hole left to plug.

If you had a large plate shape to position over the leak with a big enough surface area the pressure of the water above should be enough to counteract the pressure of the leak. Its possible to calculate this to give you the correct surface area required.

The problem with valves are that they would probably be destroyed by the abrasive nature of the high pressure oil as you attempted to close them. i seem to remember reading that the oil and gas is at around 70,000 psi. and already destroyed the back up valves when they tried to close them.
I think this type of thread is probably being closeley watched by BP engineers to see if anyone comes up with something. Get enough people thinking then im sure we can come up with something.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

yes that maybe true but these laws of physics apply to the tiniest volumes of oil and water and also to the billions of gallons of oil and water !

So it could be used !

I personally feel that BP are for some reason being very cautious with their attempt to plug the well. They dont want to be to hasty and try something with too much risk ! But time and money are also a major factor in the time/money/risk triangle!

You all know as well as I , that at some point time will run out and tthe money will increase so they will have to take a pretty huge risk to sort this out which could end badly !

Lets just hope there are some decent , intelligent human beings who really care about the earth rather than what there being paid!

Also it would be good if we could somehow show this live feeds are being looped ! at least the media should know about it , what good will it do , would they report it likely not !

[edit on 24-5-2010 by sapien82]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
maybe they can build a underwater gas station and just leave the oil pumping into a underwater gass storage tank that would be a never ending gass station and then when boats enter the gulf they can just fill there tanks up, pay for their gas and leave ..

Or they can stop the leak

[edit on 24-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join