It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching the BP spill feed- confirm?

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I interpreted the guy above as saying "why not crimp it (pipe) closed to the point of reducing the flow area so as to greatly reduce the volume of oil spewing", but I do see your point. How do you propose to get the larger pipe over the pipe from the BOP, and get it to stay there while you fasten it in place? That oil is coming out of that pipe at most likely hundreds of feet per second, without knowing the size of pipe and flow rate makes it hard to estimate accurately, but suffice it to say very fast and with a very great amount of force. I know everyone is frustrated as to why these engineers can't get it stopped and everyone and their brother has an idea of how to stop it but think about working through the logistics of this, its 5000 ft under water where its pitch black and really cold, and all operations must be done on TV monitors from the surface with ROV's.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Looks like it's nearly showtime!!

Fascinating viewing. I am saying a prayer and wish them all the luck!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Lots of activity again today... still not sure if it's live or not though, wish we could get confirmation somehow.

Ok so now I'm seeing yet another image of another plume that I've never seen before... how many are there?

This one looks like a pipe in some type of metal 'cage'...?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Cool, looks like they turned the saw on.

I'm watching two different feeds.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Its my understanding that they will cut the riser just above the riser latch.

That is the part of the riser that is leaning over.

They have to cut the riser away so the they can release the stub of the riser.
once they have it cut they will pull the stub and bring in the new clamp on riser.
Why they are not planing to try to put a standard riser in before they try the clamp on riser is some thing i do not understand..
And standard riser is what the BOP is made for and if it fit they could drop a drill pipe down the riser and do a bottom kill after they opened the BOP.
unless they have damaged the BOP in taking it apart. still a standard riser would seal tight unlike the clamp on riser

Its also my understanding that they will stop pumping dispersant when they get the new riser on.

This should stop the formation of oil plumes that do not rise to the surface if any oil still leaks out of the new riser system.

I also see that there diamond wire saw has cut into the pipe far enough that oil is leaking out we will see if the oil is coming out fast enough to blind the ROV camera.

If the flow rate does not increase that means that the BOP is part way closed
and might be able to be cleared once the new riser is in-place if they cycle the Bops a FEW times and clear what ever is blocking the BOPS from closing.

I believe part of the concrete plug is blocking the BOP and may blow out and up a unbent riser.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I've been intently watching this sawing procedure. One observation is that there is no need for any coolant or lubricant for this cut.
This saw is absolutely HUGE with its outer dimensions about that of a compact car. There were some pix on the BP website
here of the saw and the shear both.

The cut is about 1/2 was through the riser pipe now. This is one of the most complicate procedures I believe I have ever witnessed. The Hubble repairs weren't this bad. Of course, an entire ecosystem wasn't at stake either.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Cool, looks like they turned the saw on.

I'm watching two different feeds.

How are you watching 2 different feeds? Do you have links?

I only have this one... BP Live Feed

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Just as a reminder the CNN live feed has been showing multiple camera footage at the same time for a while now. That's how you get the multiple live feeds of what's going on in a bunch of boxes on their feed.
BPs actual live feed is of a single camera. I think they choose which one is shown, whereas CNN shows them all in some moments but chooses a single cam when something on that camera is happening that's of interest (to them).
So that probably explains why the CNN feed has multiple shots sometimes and the BP feed doesn't, and why sometimes they both match up when supposedly the footage is of importance (or they don't want to show you something in another camera).
However where CNN gets those feeds that none of us do is a damn good question.
I have wondered that since day one. How is it that CNN gets all the live feeds yet we have to watch CNNs feed or the singular BP cam?
Why don't we have access to every live feed like the news networks do?

This I feel is a damn good question right now. We the people should be linked with multiple camera views just like the news networks instead of waiting for their switchboard guy to cue up a camera view out of the 6+ views they are getting at the news networks.
Why don't we get them yet? Either they don't think it's important, or they are covering something from BP.

BTW, Spread the question please. I'd like an answer to this.

[edit on 6/2/2010 by darklife]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Hi Meckie,
That pipe is 21 inches in diameter,it was the riser(pipe leading to the surface),so the horizontal pipe is that same riser section that is still attached to the BOP,what they are trying to cut is that same riser,a couple of feet below the kink made when it fell to the ocean floor after breaking off from the sinking platform.
That kink as cracks from where some slurge is escaping and some goes right down the riser pipe laying on the ocean floor.
I don't know if the water current there is tidal or oceanic,in the first case you have to time your cutting operations to position the cutting tool so the current is always at your back,this way your blade cannot be sqeezed by the piece you're cutting being pushed against the blade by the current,an oceanic current is usually invariable so it is much easier to work since you only adjust your position once and can do the job in one shot.
What we see here is very obvious the machine is facing the current so when the cut was deep enough the pipe squeezed the blade...

Keep in mind that when they managed to cut off the riser they will have to act quickly to top the leak because the flow of slurge will be much greater for there won't be any restriction from the kink anymore...

It can seem easy from our point of view in that live feed but take my word doing it and watching it are two worlds totally apart...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I read in the news when I got out of work, that the saw was stuck, and they did not know how to get it out. Any updates on this? And why such a huge saw got stuck?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by darklife

You can access feeds from multiple ROV's at this site:
www.bp.com...

There are 6 different ROV's listed here:
Live feeds from Ocean Intervention III
ROV 1 www.bp.com...

ROV 2 www.bp.com...

Live feeds from Viking Poseidon
ROV 1 www.bp.com...

ROV 2 www.bp.com...

Live feeds from Boa Deep C
ROV 1 www.bp.com...

ROV 2 www.bp.com...

Live feeds from Skandi
ROV 1 www.bp.com...

ROV 2 www.bp.com...

Live feeds from Enterprise
ROV 1 www.bp.com...

ROV 2 www.bp.com...

Live feeds from Q4000
ROV 1 www.bp.com...

ROV 2 www.bp.com...

Enjoy.

[edit on 6/3/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The end! With some not so rhyming or clever corrections

This is the end
Beautiful earth
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our greedy plans, the end
Of everything thats beauitful , the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again
Can you picture what will be
So oily and brown
Desperately in need...of some...miracle
In a...desperate land
Lost in a ocean...wilderness of oil and all the oil companies are insane
All the leaders are insane
Waiting for the summer Hurricanes, yeah
There's danger in the gulf
Ride the TPTB highway, baby
Weird scenes inside the ocean deep
Ride the waves west, baby
Ride the waves, ride the waves
To the lake, the oily lake, america
The snake is long, 1 mile down
Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is brown
The west is the best at destroying the earth
The west is the best at destroying countries
Get here, and we'll do the rest
Our responsibilities are callin' us
Our childrens futures are callin' us
Driver, where you taken' us, BP are you awake?
The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a chunk from the earth
And he walked on down the hall
He went into the ocean where the sea creatures lived, and...then he
Killed every last one of them, and then he
He walked on down the hall, and
And he came to a well...and he looked inside
America, yes BP, I want to take this oil
Bp, can you handle any problems?
C'mon america,---------This fix will work
C'mon america, I just want my life back
C'mon AMERICA, take a chance with us
And meet me IN the depth of the gulf
causin a disaster
On an epic scale
Doin' ya dirty
C'mon, yeah
Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill
This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to lose our money
But you'll never follow me
The end of laughter and dark lies
The end of nights we tried to die
This is the end

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Mobius1974]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

I think Mr Mojo Risin would approve!

Good job on that.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I notice there is two different colors of oil coming out.

One is light brown and the other is darker.

Two different oil strata?????????????

That may make it difficult to drill wells to plug the leak.
they will have to meet the blowout well pipe at to different levels and plug each

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Different colors of oil due to different gas content? More gas, lighter color and less gas makes a darker color? I'm not sure if the natural gas is mixed with the oil like CO2 in a soda but it kinda makes sense to me. Either that or there is more oil like you are saying, either way we are in pretty bad shape here for a while.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
check the feed

OIL BP

4/6/2010 2:34am GMT

top hat method. Oil going everywhere.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by StealthKix]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthKix

Yup, deffinately a mess. From what I understand from the radio, is that if this don't work, this will make the spill/leak worse. Man, I hope this works or the Gulf'll be a waste land, followed by the east coast if the ocen currents don't change.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

What do you mean "going to be" I dont think anyone gets it.. This oil is going to affect us heavily ...possibly even destroy us. keep your ears open.. you'll see..

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by meckie
Different colors of oil due to different gas content? More gas, lighter color and less gas makes a darker color? I'm not sure if the natural gas is mixed with the oil like CO2 in a soda but it kinda makes sense to me. Either that or there is more oil like you are saying, either way we are in pretty bad shape here for a while.

The oil/gas mixture is probably blackisch but by injecting dispersants in the stream it gets dispersed (emulsified) coloring it red. Before the riser was cut the ejected streams were instantly mixed with water and it looked like it was comming out red. after cutting the stream mixes later in the collum:
black=oil/methane white=disperant red=dispersed oil/water mix.
but what is the green stuff they now inject?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm watching the skandi ROV1. I'm still seeing a lot of oil, but I'm seeing what look like bubbles mixed in with it. Could the bubbles be natural gas?

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30 >>

join