It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching the BP spill feed- confirm?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I also was watching the stream when that big "thing" was being cleaned.

Is it possible that it is the blowout preventer itself?

There are some very interesting things on the live BP feed right now - very interesting watching them use the robotic arms to connect pipes on the seabed. Seems to all be machinery and plumbing needed for the top kill. My fingers and toes are crossed...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
God - it's like watching the planet haemorrhage itself to death. I can't begin to imagine how you guys in the US must feel watching this. I know how bad I felt when that Chinese freighter leaked oil all over our Great Barrier Reef and tore a great chunk out of it. All deities willing, this will soon come to an end.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Please excuse my ignorance. I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, as I have been following the other thread before it was closed.

There are tons and tons of methane gas leaking out... obviously from a rather large supply under the ocean floor.... There has been talk of nukes, explosions, etc. to stop the leak... Surely somebody must have gathered that methane is highly explosive and flammable, and if you ignite the stuff (which is open to the rather large supply under the seabed), then it is quite possible that we would have a rather large explosion?

I am on the other side of the globe, so it might not affect me too much, but surely somebody should have thought of this before. How big must an explosion be to knock our planet a bit off its course?

I don't know the answers, was just wondering....

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiscal
reply to post by Interfacer

It certainly doesn't seem like the end of the world to me, boss. Bad? Sure, maybe. Life threatening to humanity? Doubtful. So the 'can we fix it with this' ideas, given that the people responsible for actually fixing the problem probably aren't reading this, are largely intellectual pursuit and entertainment.

So sit back, relax, and be entertained.

Ha, who are you? Sawyer? Lost is over brother.

Sit back, relax, and be entertained?

Sure, if this gets your rocks off....

Over 300 dead sea birds due to this. The people in these images sure looked like they were having a blast...

Nearly 200 turtles dead due to this. Where's the popcorn??

19 dolphins as of the 24'th dead due to this. Boy this is fun...

And most other life that exists there will suffer because of this. But hey sit back and enjoy.

*sigh*

I'm pretty sure I won't be enjoying it one jot.

[edit on 26/5/2010 by badw0lf]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Watching the live feed now. Not seeing anything going on except the leak. Did the Top kill fail? The brownish stuff coming out the pipe, that's methane, right?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Chance321]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Old_RSA
Please excuse my ignorance. I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, as I have been following the other thread before it was closed.

There are tons and tons of methane gas leaking out... obviously from a rather large supply under the ocean floor.... There has been talk of nukes, explosions, etc. to stop the leak... Surely somebody must have gathered that methane is highly explosive and flammable, and if you ignite the stuff (which is open to the rather large supply under the seabed), then it is quite possible that we would have a rather large explosion?

I am on the other side of the globe, so it might not affect me too much, but surely somebody should have thought of this before. How big must an explosion be to knock our planet a bit off its course?

I don't know the answers, was just wondering....

How explosive is methane under water? Doesn't it need oxygen to catch fire? Trying to wrap my head around this.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JRho900
How explosive is methane under water? Doesn't it need oxygen to catch fire? Trying to wrap my head around this.

I think your heading where I am. I know about the "frozen" methane on the bottom of the oceans. But this methane that's being pumped in the the Gulf, wouldn't that be just as deadly as the stuff BP's using to break up the oil? And it'd be interesting to see what the saturation level of methane in the gulf in now compared to before the leak.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JRho900

I may be wrong but I don't think the explosion of Methane would be due to combustion. Methane can "flash" from a frozen state to a gas due to a slight difference in temperature or pressure and then the methane gas can expand with enough force to rupture seals & even the pipes themselves.

The was a post about this back around page 14 or 15 if I recall.

Edit: Here it is: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5/26/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

This whole thing is a complete cluster f*!

I guess once they determine the methane saturations then can then maybe get a better idea of how much oil really has spilled. That is the idea right?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Per Company Man 1 on the gcaptain.com forum

"I want eveyone to listen & listen good. If they decide not to pump that job today, then it means only one thing, that well is flowing much more than 40,000 Bbls./ day & they know they can't get enough rate through their hoses & don't have enough horse power to get the rate they need. That would make the analysis of the professor from Purdue correct. There is nothing else to analize. Everything else such as function testing of the valves, etc. should have been done already.
Originally Posted by KoKoMo
So....just watched Tony Hayward's interview on CNN. Sounds like there was trouble with the diagnostics last night and they will continue this AM and then, later today, he will make the final decision on whether to go ahead with the Top Kill. Anybody know what kind of problems they ran into?"

"they're pumping guys. they're pumping."

"They're getting close now.Should start seeing the plume completely go brown, then start getting smaller if this is good."

So it's started. (which I assume means they think it's do-able/ they found nothing to rule it out- and we should know by now if they could have come up with a reason to stall, they would have)
Prayers and/ or good intentions would help.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Found it! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I am new to this forum and still learning the ropes

It seems so much incorrect information is being spread. (esp. on FB)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JRho900

I just wonder if it would've made a difference if they burned the oil in the beginning. The way it looks now, the Gulf is going to be a waste land.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
reply to post by JRho900

I may be wrong but I don't think the explosion of Methane would be due to combustion. Methane can "flash" from a frozen state to a gas due to a slight difference in temperature or pressure and then the methane gas can expand with enough force to rupture seals & even the pipes themselves.

The was a post about this back around page 14 or 15 if I recall.

Edit: Here it is: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Okey, I think this is where I was heading. Is there a possiblity that with this much methane being pumped into the Gulf of a flash point happening? Or would there have to be a complete dead calm for something like that to happen? If that could happen?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I think it is interesting that BP is going ahead with drilling the relief well. Having the relief well already in place in the event this leaking well head is rendered useless is a smart move for BP. This way they will be able to access this same pocket of oil at some future date when everyone starts to forget how bad this was and BP goes back to business as usual.

There is a method to their madness.

And don't forget that there is only a $75 million cap on their financial liability for cleaning up this mess.

videocafe.crooksandliars.com...

This is nothing to BP.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Doesn't shock me one bit.
They are all about the money!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
reply to post by JRho900

I just wonder if it would've made a difference if they burned the oil in the beginning. The way it looks now, the Gulf is going to be a waste land.

I wonder too. Then again you wonder how much toxic smoke would be spewing up into the air?

Damned if they do damned if they don't.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
"And don't forget that there is only a $75 million cap on their financial liability for cleaning up this mess. "

WOW. R you serious? That is some bs!!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think this end of the pipe that we see spewing oil is the overflow or bypass from the damaged riser. There will be no attempt to stop the flow from this end.

CNN has an brief animation of the Top Kill Process on this page:
Scroll down a little..

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Why the heck is this still being called a "spill".

This is more like a....."faucet"......

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

There is certainly a flashpoint, and this is a danger no one is even considering yet! The Methane is staying dissolved in the Sea Water at depth. It isn't bubbling to the surface. Therefore, all of this dissolved Methane is disbursing along the bottom of the gulf waiting to be disturbed and instantly turn to gas all at once! This is not a rare phenomenon; it happens to volcanic lakes from time to time and it is devastating when it happens! The Gulf gets periodic earthquake tremors a few times per year. The New Madrid Fault is also fairly active along the Mississippi River valley. Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee have all had Earthquake tremors this year already.

It is a REAL concern that all of that Methane could be creeping along the Ocean bottom and building more and more potential energy by the minute. This may be the REAL reason for the evacuation rumors. The Benzene smell was never a real concern in my opinion, so the rumors are coming from something else. Maybe this is it?

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join